1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dead Game

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 24, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I've concluded that my BG disk 1 is completely dead. It's logged so many hours of playing, I really can't complain, but due to my love for the game, I've decided to check out eBay to repurchase it. I've found several people selling the game, and all of them under $10. My question basically is what to look for when making my selection. For example, I see some people have the initials "MIB" after the game, and I have no idea what that means. Is there something I should be looking for in the description that will indicate to me what condition the game is in? For example I don't want to purchase a copy that is so scratched up in won't run correctly.

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Could MIB be Mint In Box? I see it sometimes with 'collectables' (toys) at auctions.

3. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I bought my last copy for about same ammount new in teh shops (was bored in army, and forgotten my other cd's at home).

one of those "best price" packages.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Excellent. AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with my TotSC CD. So the fact that I can't get TotSC with BG1 is irrelevant. I'm on it.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You can also get The Original Saga, which also includes the expansion, but that's a bit more expensive.

7. Ironmancal2131

Ironmancal2131 Nice head, I think I'll take it

When I bought Original Saga about three years ago, it only set me back about $20. Which is a great deal considering Diablo II with no expansion still costs that.

8. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

9. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Aldeth, If I can find my BG cds (I bought The Original Saga a while back), I'll let you have them for the price of postage.

IIRC they're in near-perfect condition. PM and let me know.

10. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm a freak. I have a DVD format of BG one and the 5 disc set. I'm currently using the DVD format version and some of the maps are a little different from what they are in the 5disc set.

I only have one copy of TotSC though.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Thanks Falstaff, but I already placed the order.

12. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Original Saga contains changes, such as a different version of the Spider's Bane +2 which features I don't like (that is why I don't have Orig. Saga), the original one was cool and this sword isn't.

13. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

If it's not too far off-topic, what's the difference in the sword? I know the regular one is a +2 two-handed sword that grants Free Action while wielded, so how is it with the OS?

EDIT:
    Hmm. In that case, maybe a different look to the sword? A different BAM file used, perhaps?

[ June 03, 2006, 23:38: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

14. Ironmancal2131

Ironmancal2131 Nice head, I think I'll take it

OS has the same exact sword. It is still +2 and grants Free Action.

15. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Are you guys telling me that you can't just go into a store and buy one? I'm in Australia and I swear some of the best video game retailers have it AND TOSC together for like $15 at the most. They're also selling the BGII series really cheap too. Isn't it like that everywhere?

Speaking of which, I might just go buy a new copy :D

16. Felinoid

Some of the older games don't get sold in stores anymore. The only place you might find one is in a used games store, apart from the online stores.

17. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I remember that someone having Original Saga told me his Spider's Bane had different statistics, similar features as the original one but not the same at all. I don't remember the differences as it was long ago. Maybe some mod was responsible for it, but if I remember correctly, he did not have any mods installed. I don't have the time to look into this.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @ Ricardi - Like Fel said, older games aren't carried by many stores, especially since "old" here is defined as a game that is about 7 years old. However, your guess of about $15 is correct. I paid $16 for the Original Saga, although the total came to closer to $20 once shipping and handling was factored in.

19. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    On a related note, IF you already own a legitimate copy of the game, it should be ok to use one of those bit torrent pirate sites or a peer-to-peer program like eDonkey to download a CD image of the disc in question. Then just burn the image to disc.

That is of course, IF you own a legal copy of the game.

20. Felinoid

Wrong. It is not okay to download warez. What is okay, and detailed as such in the EULA (IIRC), is to make a copy of your disc for backup purposes. Something I suggest all of you do.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.