1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Date ideas

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mesmero, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

[​IMG] It's been a while since I last started a new thread here, but I could use a bit of help. I never thought I would turn to the internet for advice, but this is very important so pay attention!

I'm dating this girl... I'm not going to rant about it, but I have a bit of a problem: I'm kinda running out of ideas for dates. Going out to dinner or to the movies is great, but I could really use some suggestions... preferably romantic and original suggestions, but any kind of useful suggestion will do.

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Romantic:

the good auld pic-nic
    walks in the countryside
    a private place in the city with a great view (well I know what I mean)

Original:

Lazerquest
    Iceskating
    Absailing
    Trip to the museum/art gallery
    sports like handball/squash

3. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    What kind of person is she Mesmero? It would help a lot to know a little about her likes and dislikes if you want some serious ideas that she might like. Is she active? Is she a gamer? Is she a girly girl? Do you think she would prefer a quiet date with you or maybe a very social situation. With a little more info I'm sure we could come up with some great ideas for you :) .

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

How old is she? That's a huge factor in what she might want to do. Tickets to the final of Pop Idol vs Tickets to the Chelsea Flower Show, for example.

5. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Take her swimming... if just to get her in a bikini. :p

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    That's old. :shake:

Seriously, though, choose places that you like and she likes. Or those you would like to show her or where you know she will feel good. When you pick original places, make sure you don't pretend to be someone more original than you really are. It's nice to make a good impression, but it's quite subjective if this or that trait is good in a man, some women will inevitably like the traits that you have, and false impressions lead to disappointment. Same with appearing more romantic than you really are.

This being said, my own list includes above all parks, old city parts, churches. I tend to like cafes and themed restaurants but I'm a lousy picker. I wouldn't hesitate to take a woman to a LAN party... but well, I am like that. Churches, old cities, parks, computer-related things... all seem to add up to a certain picture. Try to relax a bit, listen to your own feelings and find your own picture.

For example, my buddy would go for fishing trips early in the morning, country music, pubs, family events, maybe an occasional religious discussion or church visit. My brother would go for long shopping gallery trips, some drinking events, something related to computers but in moderation, church if it's Sunday and they're both around, he and the girl.

As for girls, they generally like cafes and some like pubs, but not normally to excess. They like parks in moderation but are typically lousy footmen. They generally seem to like romantic sceneries like empty beaches in the myst and the like. More social types like bowling. Posh types get off on scenic plays (philharmony should also work) and girls next door always appreciate the unfailing cinema. Artsy types are all into indy films, weird art galleries etc. I would associate businessy types with Japanese bars, but I may or may not be right. :p Energetic, innocent and lively eternal little girls will like lunaparks.

I would avoid anything too obvious, such as "lover's lanes" and the like, as while we pick girls for a reason, they agree to spend some time with us to get to know us better. This means they aren't ready for romantic declarations as soon as we are. And if they are, they have a serious problem and I would suggest giving them a wide berth (unless they initiated the whole thing or something, so they have a good reason to be decided). Self-respecting girls generally turn down such offers even if they would be happy to go with the guy to any less obligation-inducing place.

Now, think what you like and what the girl might like. :p

7. Clixby Gems: 13/31

I hear vats are good this time of year.

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ask her where/what she want to go/do.

When I dated (yes I *dated* :p ), I just liked going out somewhere away from where I lived. Long drives were my favorites.

9. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Whats your budget? You could take her somewhere special for a new years eve party/bonfire. I have some friends who are staying at Disneyland on new years eve but it depends how advanced the relationship is, you don't want anything too serious until your head over heels with each other :D .

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Go dancing. I'm not talking about the club scene...but real dancing. Find a place where they host ballroom dancing. If you can't dance, that's even better. Take her to a ballroom dancing class!

While I like the 'take her swimming' idea, dancing will let you grope her. :D

I guess I could share some of the stuff I've done in the past. It usually goes: Meet up, then activity, then meal, then make out, then split for the night.

Activities listed in not particular order:
    Swimming
    Bike rides
    Walks through the neighborhood
    Parties
    Dancing
    Movies
    Plays
    Concerts
    Laser tag (gets a bit boring once you grow up)
    Paintball (not very fun for her if she's got a low pain tolerance)
    Shooting (real guns...but not at each other :p )
    Expos
    Amusement/theme parks (Six Flags and the like...but not Disneyland, that place sucks)
    Water parks
    Ice Skating
    Rock Climbing/repelling (on a real cliff and on one of those man-made thingies)
    Camping
    white water rafting
    Road trip

If you can afford a week during the summer for a road trip + camping + white water rafting, then you've pretty much taken the relationship to the next level.. :D :rolling:

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Whip out Baldur's Gate 2 and impress her with your lv.49 character.

12. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    That's very funny... :shake:

A walk in a garden, a park, even a zoo can be great. Sightseeing can be fun too. Museums are very good places IMO.

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Take her to the footy! She wants to know you're a real man ;)

14. Mesmero

Thanks for the pointers everybody. I'm kinda looking for things normal people would do on dates, because my originality doesn’t go much further than dinner and movies (which are fine, but I would to have a little more ideas up my sleeve).

Yes very. No, she isn't a nerd like us. And a little, it kinda depends on what you mean with a girly girl.
    She would enjoy a quiet date with me or something in a social environment. She has a wide range of interests and is willing to try new things, and so am I, so the sky is the limit (space tourism is still a little expensive :1eye: ).

That would probably tell you a lot about my age :heh: Let's just say too old for Pop Idol and too young for the Chelsea Flower Show.

Whoa, that’s a lot of reading material :D I appreciate it Chev, but I’m not really looking for advice on how to date her, just where to date her. "Try to relax a bit, listen to your own feelings and find your own picture" that’s exactly my plan, except for a little advice on where to go on dates ;)

Tried that, doesn't work; she says she doesn't mind. That actually doesn't make it easier, but a whole lot harder.

Not enough for Disney Land at the moment.

That might not be a very good idea right now, considering it's winter :p

Believe it or not, but I'm not a computergame playing kind of guy (makes you wonder what I'm doing here right? :p )

Sorry, don't like footy very much :p

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ever hear of a wetsuit? Besides, the colder it is, the closer she's going to hold you to keep from freezing. :p :rolling:

16. Mesmero

Well, you got a point there. Too bad there aren't any wild rivers in the Netherlands, we would have to go to Belgium for that. And road trips in the Netherlands are no fun at all... in cars at least, if it was a little warmer I would take her for a spin on the back of my motorcycle, but it's mid-November already and the temperatures are getting too low to ride comfortably for a very long time. Pretty soon they will become uncomfortable to ride at all.

17. Duffin Gems: 13/31

:lol: You may aswell take her to a swingers party!

18. deepfae Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Make her dinner. If you know what kind of food, or particular foods, that she likes, all the better. Of course you need to know how to cook to do this, but even if you don't, its easy enough to make most anything with enouhg preperation. Failing that...
    This has been the most romantic of the dates I've been on, in my experience. Take her out to a nice restaurant, then take her somewhere (mabye with coffee) that is in the middle of hte city, or overlooks it. The latter is the better, because the important thing is that you are secluded enough that both of you can get a sense of privacy, but you can see all the action of the city going on around you. It makes you feel, simultaniously, part of the world at large, and part of the smaller, warmer world that you two create together.

Edit: The serenity of the scene should provide a good excuse to talk, and talking makes relationships blossom.

19. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you can have her an afternoon, hmmm, heh : :heh:

— Have you "Nautical Centers" in your land ?
    Nautical Centers are more expensive that swimming-pools, but not VERY expensive. :2c:

Your are near-in-winter, OK ; but temperature in Nautical Centers is hold beetween 29° and 30° Celsius (Centigrades), then, there is no problem here ... ;)

Over all, in Nautical Centers, there are several pools of various shapes, toboggans, vasques of bubbling near-hot water to seat , relax, and babble ; and, sometimes, infra-red lights to dry swiftly in a special room, and also saunas and/or hammams (sometimes inside the structure, and near the douches and the pools).

After 2 hours in a Nautic Center, in general, you are so hungry as a wolf — then it's time to invit her for a good meal anywhere inn you wish ... :yum: :yum: :lol:

[ November 14, 2006, 04:00: Message edited by: Cal Yhringlor ]

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah. I'm pretty confident I've made at least two girls lose patience with me in the past. :D

Speaking of Belgium, the whole city of Bruges is a sight and you may want to see Mini Europe in Brussels if you haven't. :p You're also close to a number of cathedrals, castles and the like, no, be it in the Netherlands, Belgium or the neigbouring German lands, no? :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.