1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

data1, data2, data3

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Gwenhwyfar, May 8, 2003.

1. Gwenhwyfar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I was looking around on the IWD2 CDs, and i found some zip files named data1, data2, and data3. Are these the data directories that are mentioned in various cheat lists? If not, what are they? :confused:

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    At the risk of sounding obvious, they're the game's data files. Where the game data is saved.

I don't know where you've seen any data directories mentioned in cheats. Regular cheats don't require manual modification of anything, it's all done in-game.

3. Gwenhwyfar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

In every cheat list I've seen, it says to look in the data directories on disc 2 to get the area codes for one of the cheats. And what you are saying may be obvious for a normal gamer, but normal gamers aren't 12 years old. I am.

4. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Are they the ~~~.dat files? If so, DONT TOUCH! That is where EVERYTHING in the game is kept and stored. That is where the brains of the game are. In short, do you want to continue playing the game, or have a stuffed up 1 gigabyte game sponging your hard drive?

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Aah, now I see what you are talking about. Yes, the dat files for areas are named with the same codes you can use with one of the cheats. (The one to teleport to a certain area.) The ARXXXX are the area codes you can see from that dat files.

But really, just knowing the area codes doesn't help you much if you don't know what each area code stands for. And besides, you normally don't need to teleport around with area codes. It can even break the plot in some instances.

6. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

i was playing around with some teleporting in BG2 (linear and non-linear) and it really stuffed the game up and i had to re-install.

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My suggestion: forget CABs, BIFs, etc and get NearInfinity.
    Then run it, open the MOS section, explore it. Each picture there has the same name as the area code (ARxxxx) it's ment for.

One thing, datax.CAB files in Infinity Games are not zip files. Extension CAB is used by Microsoft for MS data archives, and WinZip can extract data from those files (because it uses MS extraction bin for that). WinZip can't open BIS' CAB files as those are not MS archives.

8. Kabuki Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Quick thought, Don't actually try to modify game files like that.. Bad idea.. Honest.. If you are that driven to do so, Use a proggy, don't just crack them open..

So many games have been ruined in such vain attempts..

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.