1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dalekeeper - Spell Order

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Ooisi, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Ooisi Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey all, first post here.

Today I just finished the Dragon's Eye and went to write the Snilloc's Snowball spell when i found out that I had maximum spells in the Level 2 spell page. I removed a spell from it so I could learn the new one. When I returned in game, I found out that the order for all the spells I have (for my mage, cleric and druid) have all been re-arranged into alphabetic order.

So my question is, how can i change the order back to how it was? I wrote down the order for the spells I learnt, now I just need to know how to change the order. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    If you used Dalekeeper instead of the in-game method of erasing a spell, it alphabetizes the list when making changes.
    Your best bet is to load an earlier save, and right-click on the spell you want to erase in-game, then scribe Sniloc's.

Either that or raise your INT to 18 and you can scribe as many spells as you want.

3. Ooisi Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the quick reply. My mage has 18 INT and the option to write spell didnt appear. I had 18 spells (4 rows + 2) at the time. Right clicking on a spell doesn't seem to work to erase it. I am playing Heart of Winter 1.46 or so and its not the EE.

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You can drink a potion of genius to raise your int temporarily to learn more than 18 spells.

5. Ooisi Gems: 1/31

I will have to remember that.

I actually worked out a solution, although it was a lot of hassle. But my last save was at the start of Dragon's eye. If you remove all the spells for Clerics or Druids with Dalekeeper, they will re-appear in their natural order when you load the game up. As for the mage, I removed all the spells, added the scrolls and re-learnt them one-by-one.

That kind of seems odd that Dalekeeper alphabetizes your spells automatically. Not only for the character you edited, but all your spell casters. Considering spells go by icon and not title, I dont see much point in having them in an alphabetical order. I wanted it my old way as it serves as a snap-shot of what is gotten as the game progresses.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Maybe I'm remembering wrong and it is 19 for unlimited spells. Sorry about that. The potion of genius only raises one's INT to 18, unless I'm confusing it with the other potion that does a max-min thing with mental and physical stats.
    Game wise, aside from that limitation on spell book size, having 19 INT has no advantages over 18 INT that I can recall. Mind you, that applies to Infinity Engine games, NOT P&P. So feel free to try cheating in a Tome of Clear Thought (BOOK06) with "CHEATERSDOPROSPER:CreateItem("BOOK06",99) to let you raise INT up to 99 times.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The potion of genius grants +4 int for a few hours, it will raise 18 int to 22. Only level 2 and level 4 have more than 18 spells so not many are needed.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Also the potion of mind focusing. I was thinking of the potion of intellect, but that doesn't appear in Dalekeeper when I checked.

9. Ooisi Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the help. Now i can get the rest of the spells for the spellbook :).

10. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Media:
    To be fair, there's a lot of spells that are either useless or so situational that you can get by with just casting them off a scroll, that i personally never bother learning.
    Learning all the spells doesn't net you that much more exp, and just causes your spellbook to clutter up - Learning just the ones you are actually going to use makes selecting spells to memorizing a lot easier.
    I can't remember what the last time was i had problems with memorizing spells.

11. Ooisi Gems: 1/31

Yeah, i dont disagree. I dont really know all the ins and outs of spells and need to experiment with them a bit more. Like i dont know the good ones or even how to use the good ones effectively. Reading their descriptions more often would help. For example, stinking cloud is decent but i found it was ineffective against so many monsters (i played to lower dorns before and restarted cause i wanted a druid). Ice storm is great against Yuxonomei but likewise it didnt seem to be very useful until lower dorns.

It would be nice to play around with all the spells, just to get my bearings if i re-play this or for when i play through Baldurs Gate II. I found to buy most of the scrolls for mages to be pretty expensive.

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Stinking cloud does not work against undead or golems. Against living opponents it is awesome. Combine it with web and the druid's entangle to really pour on the hurt. Grease can also help set up a kill zone. Later adding cloudkill and some of the druid's damage over time area effect spells can be extremely lethal.
    Druids are extremely useful if you have Heart of Winter installed, but not as great in the vanilla game. A good-aligned cleric is almost a necessity due to the amount of undead in the game, although you could take a paladin and a druid instead.

I know there are a couple of spell guides for IWD, just not as many or as in-depth as for Baldur's Gate II.
    Some spells are more powerful than their descriptions indicate. Also, I've noticed that different spells work better or worse than they did in Baldur's Gate I or II even though they have the same description. For instance, the priest spells Prayer and Chant are far more powerful.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.