1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Daily Nokia banner

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Drugar, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but every day at the first login at Sorceres.net or the BoM I get a really annoying Nokia banner.

It can be found here

Is this banner there on purpose or not? If so, I don't mind. If not, how can I prevent it from appearing?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I presume this is a pop-up? Yes, you're supposed to see one every 6 hours or so on the site or the boards. It helps to pay the bills and all...

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

That's the problem (at least for me, and I think Drugar means the same thing), the Nokia add doesn't pop-up, but instead it loads in the same window. If I then use the back button, it returns me to the page I visited before I visited SP, instead of the SP main page.

I use Firefox, if that matters (don't worry, SP is on my "allowed" list).

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Nokia banners doesen't bother me the slightest, hell my phone is a nokia... And if the banners helps SP too, then bloody hell, Nokia rocks!

[ October 01, 2005, 02:01: Message edited by: Shadow Scorpion ]

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Mesmero, I have no idea how that could happen... could you take a screenshot of how this looks when it happens? I certainly want to look into this.

6. Drugar

Media:
    @Mesmero: that is exactly what I mean.

@Tal: Here is that screenshot you wanted. This happened this morning and is going on for weeks now. I use Internet Explorer 6.0.2

7. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

So you don't get to see the frontpage at all ?

8. Drugar

Media:
    No, when the frontpage starts to load the Nokia banner page directly appears. If you push the Back button, you do not go to the frontpage but to the page you visited before the Sorcerers.net frontpage.

The Nokia banner does the exact same thing if you have a link directly to the BoM (as I have).

9. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] This has been going on for weeks, and no one's said anything or thought it strange? Unbelievable... I haven't a clue what the hell that could be from, but I'm going to find out. Obviously one of our advertisers pulled a fast one on me. I'm majorly pissed...

In the future, if you notice anything out of the ordinary like that, please let me know ASAP.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There's always been a problem with those Nokia ads, Tal, remember? Like those square ones that didn't properly centre the left one or left a blank space around.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    That's nothing compared to this...

12. Drugar

Media:
    I'm sorry that I didn't report this earlier.

At first I thought it was spyware, but when I checked my computer, there wasn't anything related to this. After a few days of having this problem, I gotted irritated and so I posted this.

Next time, I will be quicker in responding.

Could you let me know how this turns out?

Thanks!

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Yea, I'll post about it here as soon as our advertiser gets back to me, but that won't be before Monday, since they don't work on weekends.

14. Drugar

Media:
    Just to let you know, I got it twice today.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've never seen this, by the way.

16. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I keep reading this thread as "Daily Nakia banner"...

17. Drugar

Media:
    @HB: it strikes me that both Mesmero and I are from the Netherlands and we are the only ones reporting this.

Could there be a connection?

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Yes, the ads are geo-targeted.

19. Drugar

Media:
    Well, that explains it :)

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, this has supposedly been fixed yesterday. I was issued an apology, and that was that. So, again, if anyone notices something like this in the future, please let me know ASAP. Getting it removed is about as much as I can do.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.