1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

D&D 3.5 review

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Mesmero, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

D&D 3.5 review by Monte Cook.

I think you should read this, if you are planning on buying the revised books. He describes all the major changes and gives his opinion about it. Most of the changes he discribes, sound right to me, and even the changes he tought of as bad, I think you can live with.

The new weapon system, however, seems like crap to me, but I will not judge before I read it in the new books myself. Going back to the 3.0 weapon system should be no problem.

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You beat me to the punch, Silverblade.

Another review at 3rdedition.org

I glossed over the 3.5 book yesterday, and there are a few issues I take issue with. However, I don't find that a big deal, because a year from now, 3E will be gone, and 3.5E will replace it. Result? More players to work with. Besides, there are plenty of things 3.5 has done well, such as Harm and (possibly) the Ranger.

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I wouldn't be surprised to see 4e in a years time, which make me very skeptic of 3.5.
    I read one monte's boards that "raiding the 3.5" books for houserules would seem a good thing, and to this I agree. Ofcourse, 3.0 will come instinct soon, but there will always be those who agree/disagree with any running edition.

4. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ya, I like the stuff they did to the classes, over all. I think I'll just make up some rules and change for them, as I just bought the regular 3e books.

5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    To me Just another way to make more money, You have spent 100-150$ on core book? Oh well they are now USELESS spent another 100$ for this über-good revised edition! Ha 3E is fine with me and I'll not pay a single cents for those 3.5 crap

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Since all the 3.5 changes can be found online as PDF files you don't need to spend any money on them. My group is going to read over the 3.5 changes and use what we like and skip what we don't It gives you more options to tailor the system to what you want. I don't plan on buying the books. As said above I have 10 3E books and they are just fine for me. I have no need to spend more money on such limited changes. We have a munch of the 3.5 print outs and can pick over then for free. Our DM may buy one of the 3.5 books for the group to use but I can't see dropping another $300+ on my collection. One new edition, and thus a new set of D&D books, a decade is my limit.

7. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Tell me, are all those PDF files made by Wizards of the Coast? Because if you search hard enough, you can also find illegal PDF versions of every D&D book on the internet.

I bought the 3.5 edition books, and it looks fine. I don't think a revision would have been necessary, because everything stayed more or less the same, but they are in my opinion better for newbies than the old books. I don't regret buying them and I plan to use them in my new DM campaign.

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The wizards site has the 3.5 System Reference Document - I as well intend to play 3.5 sooner or later without purchasing the 3.5 PHB. The DMG is a possibility, though.

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I was speaking of the offical WotC downloads. There is a section on their site that had the changes listed for each of the books included in their open gaming agreement.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.