1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Custom Portraits?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Eyebreaker7, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If I were to post some pics would anyone be willing to turn them into game sized bmp files? I have a few I would like done. :)

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I believe irfanview can easily do the job. If not, GIMP can do it.
    The photo editing tools built into Open Office or Microsoft Office can also do the job of resizing images.

Most digital cameras and scanners will include something that will resize an image for you.

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well I've tried figuring out those programs with no luck. If someone will convert these pics to game sized / file type I would really appreciate it.

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/Eyebreaker/comic characters/HANZOU.jpg
    This one would need to be chopped I'm sure. Chop it where ever it needs to be done.

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/Eyebreaker/comic characters/hanzouavatar.jpg

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/Eyebreaker/comic characters/zephyrguardbyjasonengle.jpg

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/Eyebreaker/comic characters/swordmageoriginal.jpg

The regular pic needs to be a 110 x 170 bmp file & the cropped out head needs to be a 38 x 60 bmp file.

Please & Thank you :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  4. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    No takers? :(

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's fairly simple to do yourself in Gimp, just open the picture, go to Image>Scale Image and set to 110, then check if the other number becomes 170 (aspect ratio is locked by default, so the program will figure it out for you). If it doesn't make a selection like you'd do in paint, then go to Image>Crop to Selection. Check if it's alright now by going to the Scale Image option again.

Anyway, I was processing the orc pictures you found, then saw this thread and thought I'd process them as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
    Eyebreaker7 likes this.
  6. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    This may sound stupid but how do I convert the pics from the xcf type/extension into bmp files?

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Irfanview can do it easily. Open the pic using the program, then choose "Save as...". Towards the bottom of the dialog box is a pop-up that says "Save as type:". Choose the picture format you want.

If you have a lot to convert, try the "batch conversion/rename" option from the file menu. Very handy.

I know GIMP can save in other common formats such as JPG and GIF, but I don't have it installed on this computer and the version I do have is many years out of date. I haven't used it in ages.

Eyebreaker7 likes this.
  8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Gimp is a bit awkward in this respect. When you select Save As..., you can select which type to save the file as (jpg, bmp, png). The awkward part is that you also need to add the proper extension yourself, or Gimp will assume anyway that you want the default despite your earlier selection and make it an xcf file anyway.

Also note that when saving as a bmp (and adding the extension yourself), to pick the advanced option when it pops up, and save it as a 24-bit bmp file instead of the default 32-bit. I'm pretty sure BG can't handle 32-bit bmps.

Eyebreaker7 likes this.
  9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    If you're having trouble with GIMP, try Irfanview.

Open the image in question, choose "Resize/Resample" and you can set the new size. It is highly recommended that you choose to check "Preserve aspect ratio (Proportional)" and only set the width while letting the program set the height rather than setting both yourself or the image may be distorted.

Then save the image using "save as..." and choose the format you want.

---------- Added 0 hours, 7 minutes and 44 seconds later... ----------

It's because of the conversion, resizing, and cropping features of Irfanview that I haven't needed a more sophisticated tool like GIMP in many years.
    GIMP is a free version of photoshop, Irfanview is a converter and slideshow program with a few other editing tools for converting images to usable formats.

---------- Added 0 hours, 7 minutes and 55 seconds later... ----------

Irfanview is much simpler to use.

Eyebreaker7 likes this.
  10. Scatman Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Right click the files, delete everything after the ".", and then type bmp after the ".".

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 21 seconds later... ----------

If you still need it done, can you put them all in a folder, .zip the folder, and email it to me @ Retroroid -at- gmail.com?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  11. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    My appologies scatman. I've been going through old shortcuts and found this one. Decided to give it a read through for some reason. I noticed I never replied to you. Very sorry for my rudeness. They had been done by another. Sorry again scatman. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.