1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cross-breeds

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Sjerrie, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Sjerrie Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

[​IMG] First of all I hope it's alright I opened up a new topic, since I didn't want to hijack another and mine concerns more than just half-orcs. :)
    I'm looking for information regarding several cross-breeds (or half-bloods, what you will), either canon or theoretical.

1) Orc/Elf: in my FR-set 'fan-fic' I have a character whos father is an orc, and mother is a (sun-)elf. The obvious oddity aside, would he simply be regarded as a half-orc concerning stats, or would/should there be special adjustments?

2) Dwarf/Elf: 'Canonically' known as 'dwelf' in Dwarves Deep (FR11) I'm looking for stat adjustments, illustrations, anything that could help with RP'ing a dwelf. If there's nothing to be found, what would be your thoughts on these guys/gals?

3) Half-Goblin: In IWD2 there are quite a number of them, to me looking like green dwarves. Is there any canon info out there on them? If not, what would/should be their stats? Would those differ with what the 'other half' is?

4) A purely theoretical one, since it's even more unlikely than an orc/elf crossbreed ;) : Tiefling/Aasimar cross... Since both can essentially be of any alignment, what on Toril would be the result if there'd ever be offspring??

5) Make-Your-Own-Crossbreed™: Interesting, wild, or actually very logical but never explored, I'd love to hear anything you could come up with. :D

6) Would a half-elf be able wield the family's Moonblade?

These are mostly things I was just wondering, and some can actually be very useful for that 'fan-fic' of mine. I'm hoping for both serious and fun replies. :)

edit: added question 6.

[ January 31, 2007, 15:26: Message edited by: Sjerrie ]

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

orc/elf should imho have a higher int and cha then an orc/human offspring, on the other hand it should have a lower con.

but imho the orc/human-halforc is a sad case as it is now, it loses 2int and 2char, and only gain 2str. imho it should have gained 2con too, making it the ultimate fighter/barbarian.

3. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I can not ansver these "correct" so I will only come with ideas for how i would have solved them.

1: combine halfelf + halforc, And use +2 str and -2 con for stats. should about do it, both are so "weak" from a powerplayer perspective that even combined abilities wont make them awesome :)

2: I know the ansver to this one in Forgotten Realms, where the dwarf genes simply overrule pretty much everything else, so a half dwarf/human would be a dwarf with all dwarf stats, and treated as dwarf in all aspects, save that he would be taller. The same would aply to elf/dwarf, he might also get a bit skinnier beard, and not as broad as the other dwarves though. Also half dwarf + dwarf = full dwarf offspring.

3: I'm fairly certain i have seen stats for these buggers somewhere, but no idea where. I'd try to get them close to halfelf style though with no stat bonus/penalties, as it really would limit them alot (-2 str +2dex iirc for goblins).

4: Human.

5: Gnarf (gnome + dwarf) just becose I love the name. Others, Dwarf + Halfling = Gnome. Arguably Elf + Dwarf = Halfling.

6: Yes, that is what the "elf blood" ability works for, just as orcs have "orc blood" meaning they count as elf or orc blood and can use items and magics only workable for that race. Also see book by Elaine Cunningham - Elfshadow, maincharacter is female halfelf fighter inhereting her mothers moonblade.

This is becose in D&D (by the developers) Strength is considered to be a "better" stat than Inteligence or Charisma. And in a combat, the +2 strength is better to have than it would be to have +2 cha and +2 int. So in a way it is justified. If they also got +2 Con they would be to good, and would probablly also have gotten -2 Wisdom just to compensate (a much more important stat in combat than either Int and Cha combined).

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Er... So if you cross two things with outsider blood in them you end up with something without outsider blood? I would imagin that the outcome would end up been the same as which ever parents had greater outsider blood in them. Say, if the Tiefling is five generations since the demon blood was introduced into the family, where as the Aasimar was seven, the offspring would be Tiefling.

[Edit]
    For number one, I thought that half orc, half elf still ends up been a half orc, with the same stats and everything. Maybe slightly pointed ears though ;)

5. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

My sneaking suspicion for a half human/goblin would be a medium sized humanoid (goblinoid) with +2 Dex, -2 Cha, darkvision 60 ft., +2 racial bonus to move silently and ride, favored class: rouge. Probably be about dwarf size, elf weight and ugly as hell (when I think half-goblin, I think of the mongrelfolk in the Fiend Folio).

If I where DMing, I'd probably say celestial and fiendish blood are incompatible.

6. raptor Gems: 16/31

Both Thiefling and Asimaar have very little blood remaining left in them, and if they continue to breed with humans will wash out any of their heritage and eventually end up as normal humans. Humans themselves beeing vastly "random" creatures of all kinds of gene pools (example is how a 49% elf 51% human is considered human) i would have thought that mixing Asimar with Tiefling would basically wash out or nullify eachothers out to the basic that for all simplicty and practical reasons you refer to the creature as "human". You might want to attach the "outsider" trait to them though.

Half celestial + half fiend on the other hand would of corse be an entirelly different matter, but the "plane touched" usually does not have much remaining of the blood.

7. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    5) how about a Half-Dragon with a Half-fiend?

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Captain Carrot!

Um, a half-elf probably couldn;t use a moonblade. Yes, I know Elaine Cunningham does it, but the amount of fuss there is over that pretty much wipes out any chance of it happening again.

9. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

5. Half human/half frost giant. Yes the mechanics of intercourse are mind boggling and probably quite painful. A half-frost giant is the occasional byproduct of frost giant raids, therefore they are almost solely born into human society.

-Giant type, cold subtype
    -+10 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Wis
    -Large size
    -Base land speed 40 ft.
    -Low-light vision
    -Favored Class: Barbarian
    -Level Adjust: +2

I envision them being ogre size in weight and height. They'd most likely look like large humans with blueish skin. They'd also have to have at least 2 racial hit dice being large creatures and all.

10. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

That's obscene.

11. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Here's a frost giant:

-Giant type, cold subtype
    -+18 Str, -2 Dex, +10 Con, +4 Wis
    -Large size
    -+9 natural armor (which I forgot to give to my half-frost giant)
    -Base land speed 40 ft.
    -Low-light vision
    -Rock Catching
    -Rock Throwing
    -+1 racial bonus on attack rolls when throwing rocks
    -Favored Class: Barbarian (I believe)
    Level Adjust: +4

12. raptor Gems: 16/31

That reminded me of some of my own old experiments like the Half Tarrasque/Half Red Dragon, always a favorite with the players (Usually meant the gaming session was over, definitivelly).

My favorite, the Cr 23 Mosqito, after adding every consivable template i could find from half dragon,half fiend, fiendish, monster of legend, lychantropy, vampire, ghost, etc. And threw in a single level of necromancer for fun.

So yeah you can have alot of fun with mixing all different kinds, but after messing with that mosquito i desided it was much easier to just solve things as easy as possible >_<

13. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Honest, I'd never heard of that when I named the character that eventually became my login name.

I just needed a gnomish sounding name in a hurry...

And the g's aren't silent...

14. Sjerrie Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

[​IMG] Gnarf... :lol: Sounds nice. ;) And yeah I too do not want to think about the 'mechanics' of that half-frost-giant...

About the dwelves, I think I remember reading there were Dwelves present at the casting of the mythals at both Myth Drannor and Myth Glaurach, and that at least two dwelves were actually casting along themselves.
    Come on, there must be more people who have thought about this coupling? :p In that fanfic o' mine there might just be a Dwelf "incoming" so any further help would be sooo much appreciated... :D

I also thought of yet another half-thingie (present in my fanfic, totally forgot about it, sorry :o ) so here comes #7: Half Human/half Avariel

Thanks for the ideas sofar, I'm off to find more info on that Tarrasque... :D

15. raptor Gems: 16/31

#7: Half Human/half Avariel

Halfelf with actualy dex modifier

Wings is avoided like the plague in all character races and for a reason. just note halfdragons of medium size or less loose wings, large or above gets wings. To avoid player characters with wings. Its a very powerfull thing to have wings in D&D since you render alot of spells useless (levitation and fly) and makes alot of encounters and traps entirelly pathetically useless.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.