1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Critical Hits Reviews Return to Ostagar DLC

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by CelticDream, May 11, 2010.

1. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]Critical Hits recently reviewed the Dragon Age: Origins downloadable content package, Return to Ostagar:

"Return to Ostagar rubbed me the wrong way.

Let me clarify here: the content itself was not bad. Matter of fact, it gave you a little closure on some of the opening events in the game, and a few neat items that might trigger a little nostalgia from the beginning of the game. The level design was spartan and kind of boring, but that is to be expected. You’re revisiting a reasonably wide open area. It’s not some evil beast’s dungeon. It’s a camp and a battlefield. They throw one new monster at you, and by “new” I mean “it does the same stuff pretty much as other monsters you’ve seen but it has antlers”. I beat the crap out of everything, got all the items, and was done in under an hour. Nothing to write home about, but it would have fit in just fine with the game at release, and nobody would have thought much about it."

I, personally, don't agree with the review, having quite enjoyed Return to Ostagar, but for those of you who would like to read the full article, feel free to go here.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    That's a good link Celtic Dream. IMO this review is quite fair. RTO fails because it steps away from the interesting things in DAO: it provides no choice and no consequences.

You can get Cailan's armour but nobody will ever acknowledge that your character is strutting along wearing the late king's armoured pants. RTO doesn't bring much to the game. I've played it with Alistair and then with Loghain and their comments didn't enlighten me that much about Ostagar.

RTO is not great in any way. It's just an extra area in which you can get some loot and fight some Darkspawns.

I would have liked RTO to be more challenging, it would have been cool if instead of fighting a few stragglers it would have been about fighting a part of the Horde thus making salvaging some treasure more challenging.

By the way,
    I don't get why a king would keep his father's weapon and heirloom stashed away in a chest near the battlefield... one other thing that's been bothering me is that after all the pummeling Cailan got at the hands of the big bad ogre, how can my dwarf put on this royal suit of armour?
    :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.