1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Critical hits and effects

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Volsung, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, first, if my character has -for example- a flaming longsword and scores a critical hit, is the 1d6 fire damage multiplied?

Second, would it be a good idea to change a little bit critical hits so that they become more realistic?
    That is, every critical hit caused by a slashing or piercing weapon inflicts a bleeding wound, making the target loose 1 Hit Point or so per round (for rounds equal to the weapon's modifier).
    And, every critical hit caused by a bludgeoning weapon has a chance (don't know how much yet) of stunning the target(for rounds equal to the weapon's multiplier).
    What do you say?

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Flaming is not multiplied, but added as usually.
    There's the flaming burst (I think it's named) that adds +1d10 extra damage on critical hits. This means that a critical hit with a flaming burst weapon deals +1d6 +1d10 fire damage (not just 1d10).

There are magical abilities you can add to weapons to produce the effects you're looking for. I think they've left it out of critical hits to keep it simple.

3. Dall Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I think it's a great idea! Combat can often be a little bit unreal... But can you explain a little bit more about it?

4. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

In second edition there is a players option book named combat & tactics where a critical hit table is used. Basicly if you hit an opponent with a die roll of 18-20 AND have a five point difference with your need-to-hit-roll (if you need a roll of 18 to hit you can't score a critical against that creature, but if you need a 13 to hit the creature you can score a critical with a roll of 18 and up). Then the opponent must save vs. death or possibibly suffer extra consequences. These can vary from a bleeding wound to decapitation of body parts. Our group is playing with this book for several years now and love it when we can use the critical hits!

5. Dall Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

What about weapons who both deal piercing and bludgeoning damage? And are you playing with a system who is based on damaged body parts? I think it would make the game more realistic...

6. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you want more realism, try another gaming system. Rolemaster is much more detail oriented and the critical hit/miss tables are an absolute blast to use. :D

I have played in D&D campaigns where the DM used the Rolemaster crit tables and that added a nice flavor to the game. Though I must say I hated rolling a natural one. There was always the chance that I missed so badly, I'd knock myself out! ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.