1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Crafting in the OC with MotB and SoZ installed

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Blades of Vanatar, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] After reading through the manuals of all three games(OC, MotB and Soz), I was wondering if anyone can explain exactly how crafting in the OC will now work as I have all three gmes installed, but I'm currently in the OC? About to enter Blacklake. Does installing soz chagne the OC crafting to the Soz format?

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My understanding is that crafting in the OC is not changed by installing the later expansions. Each expansion has its own way of handling crafting, but I believe those to be specific to the campaign they are designed for, and not the result of any sweeping changes to the game engine overall.

On the other hand, as I recall some of the OC crafting recipes work in MotB betrayer (so it could be that vice-versa is true), but the issue would be obtaining the required components. The spirit essences from MotB aren't available in the OC, but may actually work if you had a way to obtain the components.

I think the simplest answer though is that crafting for each expansion is specific to that expansion, with perhaps a few exceptions.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Thanks Marceror. I will start to look into crafting then. My Current party of PC (Pal2/FavSoul(x), Khelgar(Awesome NPC btw!), The Tiefling Thief and the Druid are doing well. I am wishing I ahd an Arcane spellcaster. Is one needed for crafting. The book seems to state some things will need the "Enchantment" in order to crate Magiacl Arms & armor or Wondrous Items. Do I require a Mage-Type to craft the good stuff?

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Some recipes will require an arcane caster, yes, as they require a spell that only an arcane caster can cast. On the other hand, an arcane caster isn't the be all, end all of item enchanting, because some recipes require divine spells, and even more granular, some spells are druid only spells, for example. So you need a mix of item enchanters if you want to be highly flexible. Usually 1 arcane enchanter and 1 divine enchanter is all that you need. Doing some early planning on what you would like to create is a good idea, so you can make sure to plan your feats accordingly.

For your arcane caster, remember that you have Sand (hopefully you have him already, if not sorry for the spoiler, but I seem to recall that you were getting pretty far along in the game). He is a perfectly capable item enchanter, and to some extent is preferable to give the item enchantment feats to characters you don't plan to use in your party regularly. You can load them up with crafting feats, and rely on those characters to assist your team as item crafters/enchanters, while your main party members can focus on feats that make them more effective in combat.

I usually load Sand up with item enchantment feats (craft magical arms and armor and craft wondrous item at a minimum) and give Elanee craft wondrous item. That is usually sufficient for my crafting needs.

As for your party, that is the party I usually stick with in the game also, though I usually run some manner of arcane caster for my PC. Warlock or Eldritch Knight are among my favorite classes/builds to play. Khelgar is for sure my favorite companion.

5. Blades of Vanatar

I like my current team and have not tried to drop a member yet. Can I release a member and add Sand for Item creation and then remove him and pickup my old teammate?

6. Marceror

Media:
    Absolutely. Think of your followers like a wardrobe in your closet (well, that's how they are handled :p).

Sometimes you want to wear that fancy shirt and slacks out to a nice dinner, but as soon as dinner is over, you want to put on your beater T-shirt and jeans. So Sand is perhaps sort of that fancy shirt that you put on only when you want to craft your items. Once you're done with that, simply return to your closet (i.e. the Sunken Flagon) and put the comfortable clothes back on. Unlike Baldur's Gate, you pretty much couldn't lose your followers even if you wanted to.

7. Blades of Vanatar

Nice, thanks!

8. Blades of Vanatar

Ultimate Crafter?

Starting a 2nd game, as I am very interested in crafting, just for crating's sake of course, not because I think it will help me master the game or over-power my character. So I will create a Cleric of Mystra, Human, who will Multi to Wizard as well. Every other level will switch off between Cleric and Wizard. Any suggestionson how to build him at level up to become the best crafter? Obviously I will build up both Int and Wis for skills(int) and spell-levels(int and wis). What else will affect my crafting ability?

9. Marceror

Media:
    First off, technically what you refer to is an item enchanter. The crafter creates the armor/weapon/whatever and the item enchanter imbues that item with magical properties.

That semantic comment out of the way, honestly, if your goal is to create the ultimate item enchanter, I would advise against your current path. The more powerful recipes require you to have a high caster level and high level spells, but if you're splitting your levels between wizard and cleric, your caster level and spell progression for those classes is going to increase at a snail's pace. Not to mention, you will be creating a character that is rather mediocre. Highly flexible, but lacking in any potent abilities compared to characters of similar levels.

You might look to see if any fans have created the Mystic Theurge prestige class, which allows you to increase both your arcane and divine caster level without falling that far behind in either. That might be a way to go.

On the other hand, you already have everything you need at your finger tips in your companions, and this is true in MotB as well. So in my opinion, the "ultimate item enchanter" is actually 2 item enchanters, one arcane, one divine. If you really want *your* character to enchant items, I'd advise you to stick with one type or the other. A wizard is probably has the best item enchanter potential of any other class.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  10. Blades of Vanatar

So, for example, If I was to create an item using Arcane magic, my caster level in Wizard affects which of the following? tThe power of the item or whether or not I can craft the item at all?

11. Marceror

Media:
    Potentially both. For example, enchantment levels (+1, +2, +3, etc) on a suit of armor or a weapon require increasingly higher caster levels to create. This is going to be true for any item that scales in power (belts of strength, amulets of natural armor, etc).

Other items, like say a monk's belt, can only be created if you possess the necessary spells and caster level, so items such as this are an "all or nothing" opportunity.

12. Blades of Vanatar

Ah, ok. So my Holyman/Wizzy build is caput. In my other game I am runnng as a favored soul. but I have limited spell selection. That could cause some problems if I don't have the divine spell I need. Clerics are better just for that reason alone. Though there are more, I'm not arguing in favor of Favoured Soul over Cleric, trust me...

Ok then. Scratch that idea. I guess I will just choose Human Wizzy and only choose feats that improve crafting and enchanting. Should make my charater weaker and the fights more "interesting".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.