1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Couple of questions

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Faraaz, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hey all, I was playing through the game and I had a couple of questions..

1) Survival skill - is this any good? Does it even work properly in NWN2?? The description sounds cool but I never got it to work...

2) Spontaneous casting - how does this work in NWN2?? Shift+Click on the taskbar spell buttons doesn't work...selecting the rightmost "Spontaneous Casting" switch and then casting stuff doesn't work either...or am I just doing it wrong??

3) Does NWN2 have a flurry system?? I'm asking because for my Rogue, I want to take Initiative boosting feats such as Improved Initiative and Blooded/Thug etc...having a high initiative ensures that my first 2-3 attacks in a round are sneak attacks!! In a flurry, the first 2-3 attacks used to hit the enemy for craploads of damage and finish them off...it doesn't seem to work that way in NWN2 so far... :(

4) On a slightly related note...are Rogues/Assassins just as good as they used to be in NWN?? Or have they been nerfed/boosted powerwise?? How is HiPS in this game?? Is it the same as the (overpowered) version in NWN? Or is it different now??

5) Are Clerics nerfed in this game? Buffing seems to be way too short now, not to mention that multiple buffs don't stack...

6) What about Wizards?? No more Time Stop! :eek: No more Mestil's Acid Sheath!! :eek: Nerfed IGMS!!!! :eek: What's going on?

7) How do you use the keyboard to go from the first set of 12 shortcuts to the next set on the taskbar?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    1) I loved the Survival skill, especially since my Ranger got Swift Track. By the end my Survival skill was so high that I could see where every non-trigger-generated enemy on the map was.

2) I use the quick-cast GUI to cast spells, and it's just a toggle on that GUI.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have never even tried using survival.

I got spontaneous casting to work but I have not used it in a while. I think you select the switch and the select the spell that you want to substitute from the quick cast list - then you cast the healing spell after it has been converted.

It has always seemed to me that my fighter/weapon master hit in flurries. I would see messages for four attacks plus cleave attacks come through in clumps.

Rogues have been nerfed a bit. It seems that sneak attacks are harder to trigger but really they were absurdly easy to trigger in NWN1.

HIPS has been totally nerfed. It now has a cooldown timer attached to it so you can not repeatedly attack and then cloak like you could in NWN1. Also the enemies seem to detect you a lot more frequently.

I have never really played a cleric in either version.

Wizards are still pretty powerful. Stoneskinning the entire party turns most of the game into a cakewalk. I used Qara in the big duel against Lorne and she BBQed him with ease.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Thanks for the info so far guys...one more which just occurred to me...

8) What is cold iron, adamantine, dark steel, mithral etc?? Especially when say...Warlocks get 1/cold iron...or Stoneskin gives you 10/adamantine...what do these DR descriptions mean exactly?? AND also...what is the equivalent for all of the above metal names to good old 3.0 +4, +5 enchanted weapons?

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The damage resistance/metal thing basically means that unless you use that metal the damage resistance kicks in. +ratings do not matter. So a damage resistance 3/cold iron would stop 3 points of damage from a +5 sword but nothing from any rating of cold iron sword.

You can make an alloy sword with anything from no enchantment up to +5.

Oh, and yes that does mean that carting around cold iron, silver and adamantium versions of your weapon does make sense.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is a book you find in Daeghun's room at the beginning of the first chapter that describes various metal weaponry and what monster class they are effective against.

For NWN2 basically you need adamantine to get by DR for Stoneskin and Iron Golems, Cold Iron and sometimes Good to get by DR for Demons, Alchemical Silver and sometimes Good to get by DR for Devils and Werewolves (Silver only for Werewolves).

Mithral makes armor and weapons that are lighter. Darksteel makes weapons with electrical damage and armor with acid resistance. Adamantine makes weapons with magic damage and armor with damage resistance.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Mithral is great for it allows (a) light longswords for an elven mage *hint* with low STR and (b) mithral armor is counted one class lower. A mithral full plate counts as medium armor (and is thus suitable for barbarians) and mithral medium counts as light armor, great for, say, Neeshka I presume ;) Same for shields btw - mithral tower shield counts as a normal heavy shield.

Sidenote: Sometimes I could only put two enchatnemts on Mithral. It seems as if sometimes the weight reduction counts as an enchantment. Sometimes, however, it does not.

8. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

5) multiple buffs DO stack. what exactly do you mean? Bull's Strength and Owl's Wisdom, for example, would both take affect if you cast them both on yourself. Or do you mean casting two Bull's Strength on yourself doesn't stack? It shouldn't stack and didn't in NWN1. If it ever did it's a bug. Due to bugs, some spells DO stack though, False Life being one of them.

6) Mages nerfed? Good. Meh... they still clean out a room full of monsters with a single spell. If you think your mage is weak due to lack of certain spells in NWN2, you're doing something wrong.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Sir Fink: If I were to cast Enlarge Person and Bull's Strength on my character, I only get +4 to strength, not +6 like I would have in NWN1...

6) I was saying nerfed as compared with NWN1...and actually its been a pleasant surprise that they have in fact been made EVEN MORE POWERFUL!! :evil: It was just a matter of going through the spells and stuff in more detail. For instance:

Ray of Enfeeblement - NO SAVE!! This is HUGE!

Maximised Disintegrate - 240 dmg!!

Flesh to Stone - No immunity, 30 DC save! (With debuffing spells on the enemy of course...)

Enervation - NO SAVE! This spell is da bomb! It kills their BAB, Save bonuses, HP, highest level spells...

Assay Resistance - No more Spell Penetration & Greater Spell Penetration required! If a boss has enough SR to warrant an extra +4 to your SR check, just cast AR and be done with it!

Incendiary Cloud - SR doesn't block this!
    Evard's Black Tentacles - No SR checks!!
    Web - REALLY powerful at lower levels now...

I'm rambling on and on, when this really should be in a different thread, but you get my point...

Its a new game with new spells and different game mechanics...just have to get used to these rather than NWN1!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.