1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Costumes

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Wandering around Comicon yesterday I noticed a lot of people wearing costumes. I guess some people really get into it. What are your attitudes about dressing up for these kind of events or just wearing costumes in general?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I thought costumes were pretty much de rigeur for things like Comicon.
    I haven't worn a costume since I stopped trick-or-treating :)

3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    i don't wear costumes either but I find there to be a difference in people who do in whether or not they're costumes or uniforms. Getting dressed up like a zombie might be okay for a Comicon type thing if you were really into that, though I would still look at you funny. But getting dressed up like a member of Starfleet or a storm trooper takes it to another level that I'm really not comfortable with. ;)

4. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I have some friends who kind of make an art form out of it, so I don't really mind it too much, except when it's inappropriate which it all too often is. 15 year old girls should wear clothes please. I once saw a whole group of people dressed up as the cast from My Little Pony which was strangely awesome.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Adult costumes should be restricted to the bedroom....

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I love dressing up for conventions in costumes. eexcept lately, that's been "throw on what's clean" because with the whole "goth" and "rivet" thing... I get asked if I'm wearing a costume when I am most definitely not.

Case in point, Halloween Casual Friday 2010: "You're wearing a costume? 0_o that's what you always look like" - apparently an all-black 1920s flapper outfit = the usual form for me. even with the feathers.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

It would be a frosty Friday in Hell before I got dressed up for anything other than a paying acting gig.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh. I read that too quickly, mixed the "p" from "paying" with "gig", and thought it said "It would be a frosty Friday in Hell before I got dressed up for anything other than a paid acting pig".
    :p

9. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Considering I am pagan Robes and cloaks arent considered costume to me their are part of my religion so its no big deal to walk around wearing them in groups like these while I am carrying around a wooden staff. So yeah these things dont bother me at all.

10. Dice

Media:
    @Splunge and LKD - Actually I kind of did the same thing as Splunge and read that post wrong at first too.

@Topken - So if your robes and staff are a part of your religion and probably ceremonial then why would you wear them in an event like that? I'm not trying be augmentative, just kind of curious. I think that people wear costumes in these events for entertainment and if you were to dress like that then probably people would not see it as religiously significant.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

When Lotr was first released in theatres, I took my wife and another couple to a midnight viewing on it's first day of release. Half the people there were in custome. There were grown men in Fairie customes and that is just plain old weird to me. A Gandlaf custome, maybe... but a faierie custome? Grown men with hairy legs in a fairie custome? Nah....

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think you might have missed the rather obvious fairy connotation there... :shake:

13. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Dice probably because more then half the time they just fit the scene more so then others that are around. I also use the robes when LARPing as well its fine as long as I wash them after a rough time. Cant use the staff since its not LARP grade pvc pipe and covered in foam lol. So yeah I am use to seeing grown mean wearing armor and tunics and what not around.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Only to something like the Wellington Sevens, where you'd look weird if you didn't wear an imaginative costume.

15. Dice

Media:
    What is Wellington Sevens HB?

16. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Rugby tournament held in Wellington, NZ. 16 countries take part in it. Supporters dress up as wacky as we Dutchies love to do on football tournaments, like Euro 2012, coming summer. :)

(Of course, more countries have wacky supporters, but, true or not, I like to think the Dutch are wackiest. :D

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, I think most of the audience aren't even watching the sevens, they're too busy partying in the stands in their elaborate costumes.

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If I ever get at the other side of the world at the correct time, remind me to take part in it. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.