1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Corrupted Save Game

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by AOXES, Oct 21, 2009.

1. AOXES Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi there,

After Leveling from 3-4 (Hommlet and Emridy Meadows done, killed the Merchants AFTER), I headed back to the Wench to rest and level. However, after saving the game, I found that I could not load the game again, getting a message, "Due to an unknown reason, the saved game is corrupted and cannot be loaded." (Paraphrased)

Frustrated but unfazed, I decided to try again from an older save (this one was Level 2, and before Emridy Meadows and Merchant killing). This time, I proceeded to kill the Merchants and level up (2-3) before heading to the Meadows. However, when I went to the inn to level up again, the same thing happened(!) So my backup was gone too.

At first, I thought it was the game clashing with system configs, but I tried other saved games (and party combos) and they still saved/loaded perfectly, even after killing and looting the Merchants.

Then I realised that it was only AFTER my level up that the game corrupted, so it could have been a bug in one of my player characters, which is strange, but not impossible. My party is as follows:

True Neutral, Levels 3-4:
    LN Half-Orc Monk
    NG Dwarf Cleric
    TN Elf Druid
    CN Gnome Brd1/Sorcerer
    NE Halfling Rog1/Wizard (Diviner)

My party and their equipment is not hacked in any way, nor are the game files, which are patched 2 & 3. Therefore, could it be an equipment conflict (last I checked, it was just plain 'ol mundane weapons/armour and magical equipment from the Merchants and Meadows, and the Radiant Longsword from the Farmer's Daughter) while levelling, or could it be a class/multi-classing bug? I noticed the Diviner had its 'Divination' spell slot (the prepared spells, not the spellbook) filled with a non-Divination one at level up, could this be an issue?

Either way, would it be possible to recover my saved game? If not, would there be any way to prevent further disappointment by avoiding this bug?

2. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Corrupted saves are pretty notorious for this game. Usually, there isn't a workaround or fix, execpt to save early and often (and don't use quicksave). Are you using any mods or patches? That might have an effect as well - non-patched TOEE is pretty brutal in this area I've heard.

3. AOXES Gems: 1/31

Acrux,

Nope, I'm playing the game 'vanilla' (with Patches 2 & 3 of course). So no mods and/or 3rd party software, I'm quite sure. Also, I've reinstalled the game just to be sure.

Nevertheless, what I've found strange is the fact that the same corruption happened only after a highly similar turn of events. So I was curious as to whether there were any known (and unresolved), specific bugs in the levelling area.

Thanks anyway. :)

4. Rickenbacker Gems: 1/31

Well, that def' sucks. I've been having the same annoying problem.

Granted, I was using the co8 Mod pack, but still- this apparently happens w/ mods and vanilla.
    I musta un/reinstalled 4x.

5. AOXES Gems: 1/31

Incidentally, would the CO8 Mod Pack help in this regards? Does it specifically fix stability problems and/or bugs? 'Cos from what I've read, it just adds flavour, i.e. new NPCs, new spells/equipment, changed monster stats, and map changes, i.e. Nulb Brothel etc.

Also, where can I find a full 'change log' for CO8? I've been to www.co8.org but can't seem to find any.

Thanks

6. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

Co8 does have a lot of bugfixes, though I don't know if they particularly help the save corrupting, but I can tell you that with Co8 5.5.0 (the beta) and following their guidelines, I didn't have one corrupt save through my entire playing experience.

To quote Gaear in "The Co8 Guide to Successful Gaming With ToEE" from the Co8 board:
    • "Do not use quicksaves with ToEE. They corrupt easily. Instead, use an array of at least 5 regular saves while playing ToEE, overwriting each in turn. This practice should ensure that you have a good save to go back to if one becomes corrupt.
    • Do not play in Ironman mode. Save corruption is a fact of life with ToEE, and if your Ironman save becomes corrupt, you're finished. If you want an Ironman-style game, it's best to simply play Ironman-style in a regular game.
    • Do not use autosave on map change with ToEE. Using this feature will break certain scripts in ToEE. It is set to 'off' by default.
    • Do not use Scather or Fragarach in the Fire Node or the Fire Temple. You will likely experience the endless AoO loop, and you will be very sad.
    • Do not use Atari patch 3. It's not compatible with the Co8 mod, and it doesn't fix anything that the Co8 mod doesn't fix anyway."

The only place I found the changelog was in the Atari directory after installing Co8, so I'll put it in here for you:
    (Word of warning, it is extreeeemely long, so long in fact that I can't put the whole thing on the forum, as it is too big (I only put revisions from 5.0-5.5 in). The people over at CO8 have obviously put a lot of hard work into this and made an obscene amount of bugfixes to the game, much more than official patches ever will!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A. CO8 5.5.0
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- NPCs using potions now provoke attacks of opportunity.
    - Fixed druid spontaneous summoning for spell levels 6-9.
    - Fixed cleric spontaneous summoning for spell levels 6-9.
    - Brought > level 10 rogue feat-taking to RAW.
    - Fixed crash when accessing the party pool ingame (logs in inns) with a party with more PCs than 5.
    - Fixed not getting bonus spells for enhancement items like headband of intellect.
    - Fixed all spells cast counting towards cast spells of sorcerors/bards.
    - Fixed level 3 and 4 spells of the class spell lists of rangers and paladins not being added to known spells.
    - Rangers can now take new favored enemies at levels 15 and 20.
    - Fixed no break free attempt for AI controlled NPCs on entanglement.
    - Increased the range of random encounter maps by 1, so that the caravan encounter can be correctly handled as a random encounter.
    - Fixed damage type of icy burst and shocking burst.
    - Crafting spell resistance on armors now actually produces armors that provide spell resistance 13.
    - Fixed bug that prevented the application of fear save bonuses, e.g. those provided by Bless, Aid, Inspire Courage or Halfling racial bonus.
    - Fixed the non-proficient penalty suffered when using the waraxe two-handed with Martial Weapons All proficiency but without the EWP.
    - Fixed medium armor proficiency providing heavy armor proficiency as well.
    - Fixed the Inspire Courage bardic music ability. Bonuses provided now scale correctly with bard level.
    - Fixed the immunity of dwarves to entangle and web effects.
    - Fixed moving at 5 speed when overburdened and entangled/webbed for all critters.
    - Added calls to functions load and save in module _co8init to the internal save and load routines. This allows the use of the CO8PersistentData class as a scripting sided CO8-savegame.
    - Fixed that the portrait UI at character creation only displayed a part of the potraits listed in portraits.mes.
    - Reputation #19 now causes paladins to become fallen paladins.
    - The spell Discern Lies now provides a +30 bonus on sense motive checks.
    - Brought spell Righteous Might to RAW. Bonuses to STR and CON are lowered to 4 and 2, respectively. Bonus type of AC is changed so that it no longer stacks with amulets of natural armor. DR was changed from 5 fixed to scaling per caster level.
    - Added the possibility to add up to 6 new travel locations to the game (but without clickable icons on the map; you can access them over the known locations list on the worldmap screen).
    - Fixed the misalignment of buttons in the worldmap GUI when using non-standard resolutions.
    - Fixed traps so that they don't re-arm and only go off once.
    - Fixed errors in various dialogue files.
    - Fixed typos in various .mes and .py files.
    - Fixed problem with Livonya's revenge encounter occurring too early for low level parties.
    - Fixed the earlier multiple juggernauts fix.
    - Added timed destroy treatment to sad and heroic merchants' run-off scripts.
    - Fixed Burne, Raimol, Zert, Otis, Tuelk, and Wicked's voice files so they won't give bad information regarding the (modded) orc/ogre cave.
    - Changed it so that Lubash, the gnoll leader from the Moathouse, and the tower sentinel seek out the party leader to talk to by first choice, then any other party member. If they talk to any other party member, the player can choose to bring the party leader forward to speak if he/she is within 40 feet of the selected party member.
    - Added evil assassination quests to the logbook.
    - Fixed merchant inventories for Burne, the Hommlet tailor, the Hommlet leatherworker, Bing, the Hommlet cabinetmaker, Skole, Ah Fong, and the owner of the Bazaar of the Bizarre in Verbobonc so that their inventories refresh.
    - Changed dilaogue and added new dialogue for the cabinetmaker.
    - Brother Smyth's inventory will now refesh 24 hours after you complete the 'Masterwork Weapons' quest, and his MW weapons will thus become available to you at that time.
    - Terjon will now grant atonement to paladins over level 10.
    - Made change to Inflict Light Wounds, Mass.
    - Changed the cutlass (also rusty and masterwork versions) to be considered a short sword. Altered Bertram's feats accordingly.
    - Fixed problem with stacked jewelry being reduced to quanity of 1 after being put into extraplanar chest.
    - Changed appearance of kobold sergeant.
    - Dispel Magic and Dispel Magic, Greater now use abjuration casting particles (were using evocation).
    - Phantasmal Killer now uses illusion casting particles (was using necromancy).
    - Silence spell now allows save to negate if cast directly on a creature.
    - Warp Wood (new spell) now correctly checks the actual size of an object when counting against the spell's power. Also allows you to unwarp a warped melee weapon if you target the item while it is on the ground. No longer affects shields.
    - Web now uses conjuration casting particles (was using enchantment).
    - Weird now uses illusion casting particles (was using necromancy).
    - Numerous typo corrections in spell names and descriptions.
    - Implemented the monk class ability Abundant Step.
    - Fixed monk unarmed damage at level 20.
    - Added descriptions for monk class feats & abilities.
    - Re-worked Hezrou Stench.
    - Updated in-game help to reflect the higher level spells which are now availible.
    - Fixed poison saving throw bonuses on traps.
    - Fixed the minotaur statue on level 2 of the temple so that it pre-buffs with stoneskin.
    - Assigned spell sounds to many new spells.
    - Fixed scrolls that were uncopyable.
    - Fixed bug where combat initiated immediately upon entering the Water Temple.
    - Made Verbobonc and Hickory Branch accessible via the world map (includes world map paths).
    - Reworked avoidability of random encounters to depend on randomly rolled Listen, Spot, and Survival checks for both the party and the enemies.
    - Fixed the AI routine for the Drow fighters in Verbobonc who stood around.
    - Charm spells will now recognise charm morale bonuses on the saving throw.
    - The Guardian Hezrou will now always choose to summon another Hezrou.
    - The Hezrou stench will no longer affect elementals, mainly for the benefit of the water elemental buddies the guardian has.
    - Fixed typo that caused Choas Hammer sound not to fire.
    - Corrected typo in black studded leather (new armor) file name that was causing CTDs when consoled in.
    - Fixed typos in the game quest log.
    - Fixed issue of there being no feats are available for improving attack, damage, and crit range with the kukri.
    - Activated repeating crossbows in the game and added the necessary EWP feats.
    - Wonnilon's crossbow and Iolo's Joy were converted to repeating crossbows.
    - The PC_Start.py file was altered so anyone starting with repeater or kukri feats will get one when entering the game, as with other EWPs and MWPs.
    - Jinnerth the tailor has had his dialog altered so that he will now reward the party with a masterwork repeater if they do his 'militia' quest (and don't stick him with the bill for uniforms for everyone).
    - The goblins in the weavers loft have been totally converted to halflings (except the models).
    - Lila's .dlg file should now display within the requisite box.
    - Added combat voices to zombies.
    - Added masterwork sling to Bing's inventory upon respawn, and reduced the chances of everything spawning to 80% as per the norm.
    - Stopped Alrrem contradicting the existence of the Cave Lair as used by the orcs.
    - Fixed some area effect spell sounds playing at extremely high volume.
    - Reactivated the following feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Hand Crossbow); Greater Weapon Focus (Light Flail); Greater Weapon Focus (Trident); Greater Weapon Focus (Halberd); Improved Critical (Light Flail); Improved Critical (Trident); Improved Critical (Halberd); Improved Shield Bash; Martial Weapon Proficiency (Light Flail); Martial Weapon Proficiency (Trident); Martial Weapon Proficiency (Halberd); Weapon Focus (Light Flail); Weapon Focus (Trident); Weapon Focus (Halberd); Weapon Specialization (Light Flail); Weapon Specialization (Trident); Weapon Specialization (Halberd); Greater Weapon Focus (Spiked Gauntlet); Improved Critical (Spiked Gauntlet); Weapon Focus (Spiked Gauntlet); Weapon Specialization (Spiked Gauntlet); Weapon Focus (Hand Crossbow); Weapon Specialization (Hand Crossbow); Improved Critical (Hand Crossbow); Greater Weapon Focus (Hand Crossbow); Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Orc Double Axe); Greater Weapon Focus (Orc Double Axe); Improved Critical (Orc Double Axe); Weapon Focus (Orc Double Axe); Weapon Specialization (Orc Double Axe).
    - Made the necessary changes in protos.tab so that the flail, halberd and trident now respond according to their proper weapon type.
    - Changed repeating hand crossbow to straight hand crossbow.
    - Replaced models and icons for some pre-existing and new weapons.
    - Fixed the problem of not being able to turn in Sammy to Otis after he offers to give up Otis' stash.
    - Made rooms available from the Welcome Wench at the outset without having to get involved in Furnok's cheating if you don't want to.
    - Re-sorted sectors for every secret-door related map in the game where they differed from original stock sector files.
    - Restored Murraya's dialogue.
    - Fixed the trap on Jaroo's chest so that it actually fires and gives the correct XP for setting it off.
    - Made it so that familiars will be removed from your party if they die and are still dead after 24 hours have passed.
    - Fixed the masterwork repeating crossbow obtainable in Hommlet so it functions properly.
    - Made reliable long interval time events through a new method for the woodcutter, Tillahi, Thrommel, and Sargen's scripts.
    - Added NPC factions for black dragons.
    - Corrected black dragon whelp AI strategy (was showing red dragon).
    - Fixed bugs found in long_description.mes.
    - Added new descriptions to long_description.mes.
    - Fixed stats for leather scale armor.
    - Activated dormant feats for the kama and siangham.
    - Fixed typo that prevented frogs from croaking on the Moathouse exterior map.
    - Fixed the Moathouse ambush encounter so that it won't trigger if Lareth is in the party.
    - Made the (modded) Drow note delivery scenario from the Deklo grove into a proper quest for evil parties.
    - Fixed an error in Lareth's dialogue to make the drow note quest complete properly.
    - Changed Ray of Clumsiness from Necromancy to Transmutation.
    - Fixed Chill Metal spell.
    - Fixed erroneous description and long description for jian.
    - Added long description entries for Cujo's new weapons.
    - Fixed graphical artifacts when dropping shell armor and other items.
    - Made trident one-handed.
    - Gave all undead a 1 intelligence score to avoid paralysis when resting.
    - Enabled new weapons feats.
    - Fixed Verbobonc grammar errors.
    - Repriced flametongue, frostbrand, and wand of identify.
    - Made Greater Magic Fang a 3rd level ranger spell.
    - Fixed some missing entries in meshes.mes.
    - Modified dialogue options to get past electrical trap on temple level 4 and added additional methods.
    - Spellchecked all dialogue files in CO8 5.0.0.
    - Fixed a global varaible for Terjon.
    - Modified Lareth's sergeant and lieutenant to allow potential for non-violent resolutions.
    - Added a timer for Bing.
    - Retextured lamellar armor.
    - Fixed weapon description for halberd.
    - Fixed samurai armor bug.
    - Fixed dialogue error for innkeeper's wife.
    - Removed the zombie signpost from Nulb and added a regular signpost.
    - Fixed Tolub's 'Eye of the Tiger' script for when he thinks you're cheating.
    - Added options to Skole/Lodriss dialogue so she doesn't attck you if you save her.
    - Fixed Zaxis so anyone can talk to him about his sister.
    - Exapanded the Moathouse combat music so that it ends and loops properly.
    - Fixed Terjon's ability to cast Neutralize Poison.
    - Retooled text for Hommlet and Nulb signposts.
    - Fixed some Terjon and Calmert voice audio errors.
    - Fixed some Gremag dialogue errors where he always acted like he'd never met you before.
    - Fixed some Rannos Davl dialogue errors.
    - Expanded interaction with Kenter Nevets.
    - Fixed description for Black Jay's ring.
    - Toned dwon Turuko's Moathouse Ambush rhetoric.
    - Changed Bestow Curse from transmutation to necromancy.
    - Fixed Spugnoir's combat dialogue.
    - Fixed Ostler Gundigoot's dialogue so you can use your free room immediately.
    - Fixed Otis so he is not antagonistic toward neutral parties.
    - Fixed the bug with Falrinth and the elemental power gems.
    - Fixed various inconsistencies with the Feldrin and Brunk encounter.
    - Overhauled ToEE's background musical structure so that previously unheard music is used, music is deployed more evenly across the game for all areas, and area ambience is appropriate.
    - Made all the elemental chief clerics in the temple knowledgeable about the fates of the others.
    - Fixed Romag's kill-the-snake-quest.
    - Overhauled the Hommlet aspect of the Rannos and Gremag revenge scenario.
    - Enabled pursuing the courier, labor camp spy, and assassin plotlines concurrently.
    - Fixed the bug where Rannos and Gremag didn't properly flee Hommlet when confronted.
    - Streamlined Burne, Rannos, and Gremag's dialogue files.
    - Fixed passage of time issues with Burne and the orb.
    - Tuned up the Rannos and Gremag courier dialogue tree.
    - Fixed the signpost portrait in Nulb and changed a teleport coordinate.
    - Changed the 3rd level spell Suggestion to Dominate Monster. It was overpowered.
    - Fixed an error in Calmert's dialogue.
    - Fixed an error in Terjon's dialogue.
    - Fixed an error in the peasant laborer dialogue.
    - Fixed errors in Belsornig's dialogue.
    - Fixed an error in Mona's dialogue.
    - Added the Zuggtomy story hook to Whitman's dialogue for players that set him free.
    - Fixed an error with Burne not bartering.
    - Fixed Nalorrem being mute.
    - Made Wonnilon's hideout area safe for resting.
    - Cleaned up leatherworker's family tree dialogue.
    - Restored the big hair for females.
    - Fixed an error where the normal breastplate was not displayed properly for humans.
    - Fixed some errors in PC to NPC generic dialogue.
    - Fixed errors in Thrommel's reward-knight's dialogue.
    - Fixed a .dll bug with Windows 98 and added weapon proficiencies for the new monk weapons. Also added farshot feat and removed various non-functioning feats.
    - Added and fixed stats for ranged weapons.
    - Made all drow armors masterwork.
    - Added masterwork monk weapons.
    - Fixed Murfles' death throws.
    - Fixed Moathouse Ambush scenario to occur at any of 3 different locations, finalized conditions, and made it so you can't leave the Moathouse after killing Lareth, come back, and still get ambushed.
    - Fixed the skeleton key issue that sometimes rendered the electricity trap on temple level 4 unsolvable and allowed you to open every chest in the game.
    - Set Ah Fong's inventory to respawn properly after 24 hours and adds the new monk weapons and masterwork versions to his stock.
    - Fixed incorrectly modeled monk weapons.
    - Tweaked Belsornig and his minions' AI and spell selection.
    - Fixed Merrolan and Nalorrem's number of spells.
    - Fixed various long descriptions.
    - Overhauled the ToEE world map.
    - Updated save game area descriptions.
    - Standardized colors across the schools of magic for scrolls, potions, and wands.
    - Updated the ground art for the Gnarley Woods map.
    - Fixed some errors with world map locations.
    - Fixed some conflicts with the drow in Gnarley Woods.
    - Added missing feats for Wonnilon.
    - Updated various proto stats and descriptions and long descriptions.
    - Removed the option to level up NPCs like PCs. (This is still available as an optional add-on.)
    - Removed access to the tutorial to allow proper function of the new area descriptions. The tutorial is still accessible in the unmodded game.
    - Fixed a map limits issue with the Lawful Good vignette map that caused screen shudder in widescreen monitors.
    - Updated portraits for many NPCs in the game and made certain that none are doubled.
    - Updated clothing and armor for many NPCs in the game so that they match their portraits.
    - Overhauled dialogues for Brother Smyth, Captain Renton, the woodcutter, and Kent.
    - Edited down some of Kent's voice audio.
    - Fixed an error in Thrommel's dialogue that prevented him from leaving the party on the proper maps.

B. CO8 5.0.0

- Kalshane's proto fixes: corects protos.tab file to conform (as best possible given the limitations of the game engine) to the 3.5e D&D ruleset. This is a sweeping change, encompassing almost every creature in the game.
    - Reworked/fixed spells: Animal Growth, Bear’s Endurance, Break Enchantment, Control Plants, Cure Moderate Wounds, Cure Serious Wounds, Death Ward, Discern Lies, Disintegrate, Dispel Chaos, Dispel Evil, Dispel Magic, Finger of Death, Freedom of Movement, Greater Magic Fang, Greater Magic Weapon, Mass Cure Light Wounds, Holy Sword, Magic Circle against Chaos, Magic Circle against Evil, Neutralize Poison, Prayer, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Remove Curse, Remove Disease, Repel Vermin, Restoration, Summon Nature’s Ally III, Summon Nature’s Ally IV, Tree Shape, Quench, Heal.
    - Assigned spell sounds to many silent spells.
    - Paida will no longer return to the Temple after you rescue her.
    - Burne and Otis now will have their original shop inventories again after you have removed them from the party instead of just selling things out of their personal inventory. You will have to wait until they get back to their original position before they will barter.
    - Random encounters have been tweaked. Expect them to get even tougher the higher level you are.
    - The summoned creature limit has been increased from 5 to 10.
    - Hedrack/Iuz/Cuthbert/High Priest/Senshock fix: this should fix the dialog issues with that battle and the problem of Iuz reanimating fallen party members as zombies. It should also fix the problem of Hedrack not recognizing the correct high priest who took you to meet him. The problem with combat initiating before dialog starts has been fixed, and now all dialogs should function as intended. This fix also fixes combat starting immediately upon entering Senshock’s chamber.
    - NPCs will no longer go hostile when removed from the party because of accidental friendly fire or helpful spells cast upon them while in the party.
    - Vrock Spores and Hezrou Stench have been reworked.
    - Various faction fixes have been implemented so that enemies get along with each other now and fight the party rather than each other.
    - Fixed the problem of not being able to give directions to Countess Tillahi when you should be able to.
    - Removed the goblin from Hommlet and placed Black Jay’s ring elsewhere, depending on the party alignment.
    - Masterwork items are now available in Brother Smyth’s shop screen, rather than through dialog. Masterwork leather items have been moved to Jak Borton’s shop, and are available after you heal Bing.
    - Characters will no longer lose XP when Jaroo removes spell permanency.
    - Fixed many typos and grammatical errors in dialogue files, and matched dialog text with voice files.
    - Made Pishella (Burne’s assistant) a recruitable NPC.

My recommendation to you is to forgo patch 3 and use CO8, you'll probably have less troubles in the long run. (and iirc, they have it nicely set up so you don't have to install the custom content/brothel/etc if you don't want to)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.