1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Constant Crashes

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Stereophobia, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Stereophobia Guest

Ok ive picked up PST for the first time in over a year and im getting the B.S.O.D (blue screen of death) constantly while im playing, theres no real pattern to it it just pops up from time to time (never more than an hour apart) crashing me out to my desk top. Ive got the 1.1 patch and ive closed everything but explorer and systray to reduce any resource problems. My PC is twice the power of the reqired specs.

I cant find any cause and i was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and fixed it somehow in the past?

forgot to mention its the 4 CD version

[This message has been edited by Stereophobia (edited June 19, 2002).]

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Hmmmmmm.

I've got the 2 cd version, and last time I messed with it, it was totally stable. But that's also under Nt5.1.

Dunno about Win9x; I only play star control 2 on that side...

3. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] May I ask one thing that is totally offtopic? (Otherways kick this to the what nots)
    Why do you say:B.S.O.D (blue screen of death) if you don't use B.S.O.D again in your post? I mean you write that to keep it short but to explain what you mean you give an explanation and than you actually made it longer instaed of what your plan was.

It's the same thing as with magic: Unaffected of summoning sickness bacame: Haste. But the first cards/rulebooks said: Hast (This creature can attack the turn it comes into play on your side, and so is unaffected by summoning sickness) That doesn't make sense at all!

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It's not the specs you should look into. It's OS.

Now tell me, which windows versions are included in specs and which windows you use?
    I bet 2K or XP.

Anyway, besides OS you use, please do post your gfx and sound card. And turn off the EAX while playing!

5. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'll throw in something totally off topic too. Maybe he just wants to type his posts the way he wants, without some kid coming in and screwing his topic over some trivial crap?

Ahem. It's not that rare, really. I almost never had it in PS:T, but BG and BG2 always screwed up in the same way, usually when changing areas or saving the game(!). And no, they aren't copies or anything. Only happens in infinity engine games for me.

6. Stereophobia Guest

ok my OS is Win ME, voodoo 3 gfx card, and soundblaster 16 for sound

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Now that is odd. IIRC there were no crash problems with it, but...

Anyway, go get the LATEST drivers of those cards.
    For SB 16, get the driver here: http://www.americas.creative.com/support/files/download.asp?Centric=105&OS=11
    For Voodoo you have to find it yourself.

Also make sure you have the latest DirectX.

If nothing helps, try with disabling possible antialiasing and 3Dfunctions of your card. Also try with lowering resolution before you start the game.

Yet, there is something you could also try:
    if you have any anti-virus util active, try with disabling it while playing

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited June 19, 2002).]

8. Stereophobia Guest

ok ive updated my drivers and killed norton, time to try it out, thanks for the help so far *crosses fingers*

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I hate to say it, but that Voodoo3 card just might be the problem. Technically, msft would be the problem, with Voodoo3 being the object.

But that's beside the point.

I've had really wonky problems with an old Ati Rage Pro 2x card, and as soon as I upgraded it to a Geforce2, every stability problem just disappeared. Didn't really do anything different, other than start loading the Detonators instead of the default msft drivers.

Even a GF2 mx will net you a speed boost over that V3. But if you're using a P2 450, then you'll most likely not see any speed difference.

10. Stereophobia Guest

Gotta hand it to you extrimist this place would be nothing without your tech know how, another good job jobbed, the combo of killing EAX and updating my sound drivers (finding the voodoo drivers was impossible) it fixed all my probs except the 1 freeze up i had after playing for 9 straight hours (i forgot how hard it is to tear yourself away from this game).

Only problem now is my general soud (with the new drivers) is a bit hollow so im going to get some new sub woofers, but hey all round its a good job! thanks once again

11. Oblate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It's funny i never had a blue screen at all while playing PS. It's a patched 4CD version.
    I use Win95, Voodoo Banshee on a P1 200MHz MMX. Suck this. :lol:
    Sorry, i had to mention this, because some of my friends torture me with their attitude to high speed computerism.

12. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I know this is going to sound incredibly stupid, but what is EAX?

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Environmental Audio eXtension. Gives you more realistic sound (supposedly). I never use it since it usually screws something up in Infinity Engine games.

14. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Great, something else I've never heard of. There are days when I feel like I have to have a docorate degree to turn my computer on, and this is one of them...

15. Deth Guest

[​IMG] This is probably even more stupid, as I am new to message boards (started on the Duck and Cover Fallout forums) what is IIRC? :yot:

[If I recall/remember correctly.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited July 04, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Deth (edited July 05, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.