1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Congress or Parliament (opinions?)

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Tigress, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Tigress Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Which is better? The American Congress or the English Parliament?

Congress has two houses, better for checks and balances and making sure no one gets power hungy and out of control. It also watches over the bureaucracies to make sure they are doing their jobs. :rolleyes: They also approve most important positions the president nominates, which keeps him from stacking the government with any old ninny he wants. But it also discourages third parties with the winner-take-all system. This is where only the majority matters, and whoever gets the majority gets the seats. The third parties have trouble gaining seats due to the two party dominance created my the Congress. This also leads to people thinking they will waste their vote by voting for a third party...which in turn leads to a drop in voter participation in politics.

~Disclaimer~ I am in no way attacking either form of government. I just want a discussion on them.

[ August 10, 2003, 06:17: Message edited by: Tigress ]

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, the British got a lot of the same problems, because they too got a 2-party-system, caused by a majority-vote system. And they've got two chambers, house of commons, house of lords.

And the US-goverment was shaped after the British goverment in the 18th, which was idealised by Montesquieu.

I guess your main point is, majority-vote system or proportional-vote system ? In a proportional-vote system, every vote counts and there aren't only two parties.

[ August 10, 2003, 09:37: Message edited by: Yago ]

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

What political system does Briten use for electing the house of commons?

4. Tigress Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@ Yago: Right, that's what i was strying to say by winner-takes-all system, the proportional-vote system is alot better becuase it allows virtually more voter-participation. But, does the one pro for the parliament necessarily make it a better governing body?

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The British have a majority-vote system, not a proportional-vote system. At least that secures, that the BNP won't end up in the parliament, but it condems the UK to a two-party system.

In a parlimantery system there's separation of power too. Me persoanlly, I think a parliamentrary system is the best possible system. No doubt. But I do not think particularly about the UK.

And by the way, the US-system is called presidential-system. Because congress is supposed to be parliament too. And it's not decicive if a parliament has two chambers or not, I think nearly all countries have got two chambers, with actually nearly the only exception of the UK, which had cut parts of the powers of the house of lords at the beginning of the 20th century.

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I like parliament, mostly because the I think it's cool that the PM can be held directly accounting by the parliament. I love watching them argue back and forth! I wish Congress was like that.

7. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Sir Bel,

There really are times when they squabble like children though, and I'm quite embarrassed to see them on TV. It certainly can get lively though I'll grant you.

As far as the two party system goes, well, it really is sort of a three party system with additional regional interest parties in Wales and Scotland. Northern Ireland have their own parties all together. Interesting that Labour who are currently in power is the most recently established of the main parties. Our two parties used to be the Liberals and the Tories. Now we thus have three main parties really.

I would rather we did move to proportional representation though. The first past the post system skews the power in favour of the slightly more popular party. With less than 50% of the votes the Labour party has something like 70% of the MP's. Not quite right.

Sure, if enough people want to see a BNP MP, so they can have it. It would certainly expose them for the scum they are to see them stand up in parliament speaking nationally on race issues (which is the only important policy in their book since everything else is based around their belief in white supremacy). I wouldn't neccesarily advocate a national scheme though, rather a scheme based for example by county or some such. That way people can still vote for semi local politicians rather than just whoever happens to be on the national party list. Just even it out with a few extras on a national basis to make up for the differences this would cause.

A democratic parliament is the most important part of our society, so if more people can be encouraged to use their right to vote, all the better. In that respect of course I would consider the US House and Senate a parliamentary body.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.