1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Concerning Open Source

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ofelix, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I never thought ignorance concerning Open Source softwares could be so dire! I But it seems I was wrong, Link

Basically a kid was giving some Linux CDs to schoolmates and their teacher confiscated them.

taken from the link;

Mr. Starks, I am sure you strongly believe in what you are doing but I cannot either support your efforts or allow them to happen in my classroom. At this point, I am not sure what you are doing is legal. No software is free and spreading that misconception is harmful. These children look up to adults for guidance and discipline

I'm not a legal expert but, this statement is just plain false, Linux and the other Open Source softwares are free, in the "no cost" and "free distribution" sense.

I don't expect to see widespread use of OSware in the general public anytime soon, but I can't believe this. She's a goddamn teacher! She's the one who's spreading lies...

2. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Yep, I read about that a fewdays ago. I did not know whether I should cry, laugh or both... Microsoft, RIAA & co. have certainly been successful in this case.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] On our curriculum book for teachers at GCSE *and* at A Level actually stated to discourage the use of "illegal, free software" listing programssuch as pirated software and linux systems.

Luckily our head of computing was intelligent enough to scrap that and show us about it anyway, my computing teachers for A level luckily didn't read the book so we got several lessons on Linux and its use. Only time I got in trouble for using Linux in school was because I had a CD booting distro and used it to get round internet limitations :lol:

(GCSES - Two year courses with exams taken in year eleven, where students are 15/16. A Levels are advanced optional two year courses which require GCSE completion and are taken at ages 17/18)

4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Wait, your school deems Linux as an "illegal, free software" ??? Whaaaat? What is wrong with people!

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] It's the people who write the syllabus, so the exam boards who simply write up what they believe is right and should be taught to get a certificate :rolleyes:

It may have changed by now, I've not been there in a couple of years and I know one of the admins wanted a linux ICT lab.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.