1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Concentration" and "use magic device" skill checks

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by kmonster, Dec 17, 2009.

1. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

How exactly do the "concentration" and "use magic device" skill checks work in IWD2 ?

There's a skill description which is more detailed than in the manual at SP, http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD2/skills.php, but it doesn't answer everything and I doubt everything is correct there.

So how do concentration checks work ?

Do you have to make check when trying to cast close to an enemy ? I never failed a spellcasting because of this, but this doesn't prove anything.

Is the check DC when taking damage depend on the amount of damage taken ?
    Is it simply 15 + spell level ?
    Or is it 10 + damage taken ?
    Or something else ?

I got the impression that the amount of damage dealt does matter but I also remember enemies finishing their spell casting after my half-orc barbarian hit them for more than 100 damage. Is it possible that sometimes the checks aren't made ? My ranger with only 5 concentration could summon a fire elemental (spell level 6, one round casting time) while getting hit by HoF frost salamanders outside Dragon's Eye.

And how do "use magic device" checks work ?
    Does it work like described at http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm ?
    I had a character with 12 skill try it on level 3 scrolls. She failed far more often than she succeeded. The success chance with level 1 scrolls was about 50 percent.
    Is the check DC "20+caster level needed to cast the spell from memory" ?
    Has using wands the same DC check as using scrolls ?

2. Roller123 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

These descriptions look like there are copied from somewhere, with little relation to the game. d20org, most certainly even farther away. Here is some interesting table.

I would strongly assume thats percentage of success. Try anything with UMD=18

3. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I don't know the details either, but RE: your ranger casting while being hit by elementals:

My experience leads me to believe that IWD2 only checks Concentration based on damage once per round. If I'm trying to disrupt a spellcasting, and the first arrow doesn't do it, nothing else will work. It's possible that your ranger just got lucky on the one Concentration check he was required to make.

-Max

4. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Concentration checks are definitely affected by damage, as there's nothing more reliable in foiling a round of casting for a horde of enemies than with a single, well timed large caliber AoE damage spell.

So instead of tossing all of your AoE spells into an unsuspecting group of soon-to-become enemies, it's usually advisable that the hardest hitting one hits a second or two later than the rest so that they'll aggro you, start casting and lose it directly afterwards.

5. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Rechet, that's a very good suggestion. One AE spell to turn them hostile, followed by the big AE spell to catch the spellcasters in the middle of their first spells. Very interesting idea. You could probably also hold off on any ranged attacks on spellcasters until the first AE spell turned them hostile. They're going to go hostile no matter whether you hit them with everything all at once, or not. So, if you're not confident that "everything" would kill them, then a sequenced attack can gain the value of disrupting their first series of spells. For that matter, you probably don't even need to start the attack sequence with a small AE attack. Even a single ranged attack that would get their attention would probably turn everyone hostile and accomplish the same thing.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The skills tables were taken off Interplay's official IWD2 site, but it's anybody's guess how accurate that was eventually.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.