1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Conan the Barbarian

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Shura, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Anyone familiar with the ass-kicking musclehead's exploits?

He's more than the peabrained muscle-bound moron he is usually thought to be. In the novels, we see him as a cunning tactician, a skilled thief and a master swordsman trained by the greatest warriors in the world.

Of course, then there's that whole toppling of pillars with his great strength and making every maiden he comes across...well...not maiden anymore... :D :evil:

But my main question is this: Is there anyway I can purchase the series of novels about him at a non-extorbitant price? They are all rather short, written by many different authors, but there are like 30+ of them selling at $18 each. No way a poor university student like me can afford them.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Actually, the original dozen or so books were written by Robert E. Howard, IIRC. They have been long out of print, but can be found at many libraries (at least here in the states).

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I remember borrowing all the Howard Conan books from a friend when I was in high school, they were in a pretty new paperback print. The problem for you Shura was that they were in Swedish but if there is an edition that is less than 10 years old in Swedish I would think that you could find one in English too. Just check Amazon.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I love old Conan. L Sprage De Camp, Robert Jordan and others ... good action, great tactics, some sex ... what more could you want in a book? (just make him a born-again Christian and it would be perfect for me ... but then get rid of the blood-shed and sex ;) )

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have found that e-bay is a fairly good way to pick up old books at a reasonable price. I generally look for people selling bundled packages of several novels as the price per book tends to be cheaper.

Also, six Robert Jordan's Conan novels have been republished in two omnibus format books which could reduce the overall cost somewhat. I have not purchased any Conan novel since I was in grade 8 but I can say that the ones by Jordan generally tended to be the best. I found the Conan novels to be a fun light read but the quality of writing varied greatly between the different authors.

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

There is a new Conan out by H. P. Lovecraft. It is set before he becomes an adventurer. Looks worth reading!

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @Mat - didn't Lovecraft die in 1937?

8. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I did NOT write this poem - it was a runner-up contest entry in a writer's magazine ten years ago. I can't remember the original author's name, but I'll never forget the lines! I only wish I could find the original author so I could give him the proper credit he deserves.

Do your jaded eyes grow weary
    over tomes so dry and dreary?
    Do you search the Bard of Avon's
    work for hidden metaphor?
    Balance out your toil with pleasure -
    live your life in even measure.
    All the more will you then treasure
    working harder than before...
    ...hey, take a break! Watch Conan IV!

Muscles built up to perfection,
    oiled to maximize reflection -
    biceps bulge and triceps ripple
    as he suppley pulls the oar.
    Rows he with a fluid motion
    travelling a mighty ocean
    questing for a magic potion
    sung about in ancient lore.
    Boldly does he beach his boat
    and tramp on the enchanted moor -
    searching for a minotaur.

Sorcery by saint or devil
    is for Conan on one level -
    moral factors hold no merit
    for this heathen man of war.
    Temple walls with blood he'll shower,
    take the heads of men who cower -
    all the more to fulfill the oath
    upon the altar of Crom he swore.
    Conan's creed: "Forever gore".

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I remember reading a few Conan short stories in various anthologies... I liked them, iirc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.