1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

[Comstore mod] Grand Wizard's Ring bug.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Krotos, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Krotos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello there!

This is my first time posting on the forums after browsing it for around 3 years as an anonymous user! I tried to find any data about this particular bug.

Soo...."What's the matter?" You could ask - well, let me describe it:

Grand Wizard's Ring is a special item obtainable from a bonus merchant called Shi'nayne Xiltyn located in the very same inn, which you meet Veira in. It's supposed to grant a bonus of +2 INT to the wearer as well as three additional level 1 and level 2 spell slots. The problem I have with it, however, is that it keeps multiplying my amount of level 1 and 2 spells to sick amounts. (I reached a point, where I was able to cast magic missiles 350 times before resting) The worst part is that the effect will stay on your wizard even if you unequip or even remove the ring from your inventory!

Does anyone know how to fix it OR has a properly functioning version of comstore's ring? I tried to find a solution by changing it via Near Infinity, but there were no positive results.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Nope, that thing has been bugged for years. Avoid it.
    The designer probably copy-pasted code designed for Baldur's Gate items, which can grant extra spell slots. ID2 game mechanics don't allow for it. Don't save your game after you equipped the thing, because the numbers are so bugged that you might end up having -500 level 1 spell slots, e. g. zero.

Krotos likes this.
  3. Krotos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Awww, I hoped it works! I saw the same thing for priest in Near Infinity but there's no item to grant priest spells. Well, sad to hear that. I guess I'll have to use +intelligence items in such case. Thanks for the info nonetheless!

4. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Not only is the ring bugged, so is many other items. From the top of my head:

- The only things actually working in the Axe of the Unyielding is its (rather over-the-top) regeneration and +1 CON. No vorpal!
    - One of the special maces (Bloodletting or somesuch) has a hidden property of adding some 500 THOUSAND bludgeoning damage per hit.
    - Cyclocone (the wizard hat look-a-like) can (seemingly) only be equipped by Lawful Neutral characters, despite its description. Also, the Whirlwind effect crashes the game.
    - Arrows of Talos are unequippable. Not only that, but you can't remove them from your inventory either!

Only Amulet of Protection +3, Angurvadal and Flail of Greater Elements +5 qualify as both useful and work as advertised. Not to mention being stupidly overpowered - f.ex. Angurvadal makes it possible to turn a weak decoy character into a melee unit right up there with the best of the berserkers, effectively making STR a dump stat!

My verdict: Avoid like plague, unless reverse-engineering what works and what doesn't combined with hilariously op oversights is your game. Too bad, really. :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.