1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Computer update question

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Apeman, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I was thinking on an update for my 2.8 pentium.

I have a mediocre grahpic card and I saw an ad (on a respectable computer store) for an ATI radeon 9800 for 105 Euros. Is this card up to date and is it a wise choice to buy this card and replace my Gforce FX 5200. I want to play Oblivion and Heroes V at medium options, at least thats the goal.

Also an update to the amount of RAM on my comp, currently at 512, how much should I have and seeing the endless options and brands for this which is good.

As a complete computer moron can I install these things myself or should I get help?

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Don't know about Radeons that much, but for about the same price you could get a GF6600 with 256 megs of RAM, which is a good buy ATM. As to your RAM, buy a comb of 512 DDR400 RAM and stick it to a free slot inside your computer. Easy to do, one comb costs about 50 bucks, and upgrades your comp to the norm of today.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    At this point the Radeon card is pretty old. And I agree the 6600 would be the better value in terms of price/performance. Yes, you should see a noticeable performance gain in bumping the RAM to 1GB, even in some of the current games, such as Doom III and HL2. But don't fill all the RAM sockets if it is dual channel. It's better, in terms of overall performance, to use only one pair.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.