1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Computer shutting off after being asleep for a long time

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Mar 13, 2012.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem or a Windows problem.

I often put my Windows 7 Professional computer to sleep (formerly standby) when I'm away for a period of time. However, for the last week or so, when it's shut off for a while, it seems to turn itself off. Pressing the keyboard or mouse has no effect, and the power light, which normally flashes when the computer is asleep is out.

Pressing the power button makes the computer's fan turn on and I hear the DVD-RW whir, but it doesn't actually boot. I have to unplug the computer before it will boot.
    When I do this, Windows says it wasn't shut down properly.

Any ideas? The system is set up as a dual boot, and I'm going to do an experiment I just thought of now and try booting to the old Vista Home Premium OS (probably a lot of updates to install as well) and see if I have the same problem.

At first I didn't notice that it was only after a period of time, and it seemed to be random. I have to do more experiments to figure out how much time.

System Specs:
    Gateway 4200DX
    AMD Phenom 9550 2.5ghz quad-core processor.
    6GB RAM
    1 650GB hard drive
    1 2TB hard drive.
    1 DVD-ROM (all SATA)
    dual boot Windows Vista 64-bit home premium & Windows 7 Professional.

---------- Added 22 hours, 7 minutes and 3 seconds later... ----------

I rebooted the computer to Vista instead of 7 and then put it to sleep instead of shutting the computer off last night. It was in the same state.

The computer appeared to be turned off. Pressing the keys on the keyboard, moving the mouse, and clicking the mouse had no effect. Pressing the power button made it appear to be asleep, as I heard it beep, the USB powered speaker power lights lit up, and I heard the CD-ROM whir briefly, but the computer refused to boot. The power light blinked like it was asleep instead of a solid light. Pressing keys and clicking the mouse had no effect.
    Pressing and holding the power button for four seconds did shut off the computer, but pressing the power button again just returned it to the above state. Only unplugging it fixed the problem. Until the next time I put the computer to sleep.

This happens in both Vista and 7, and I know the Vista was correctly configured as far as power options went the last time I used it regularly.

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Have you checked Power Options in Control Panel?

It sounds a whole lot like Suspend to Disk or Hibernate malfunctioning - these are usually options in the BIOS or Power Options.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Sorry, for some reason I didn't get an alert to this thread, although I've been getting updates for the BG, IWD, and NWN games forums.

I did, and I'm ashamed to say that even though I have an A+ certification and a MCDST certification, I don't fully understand all the options in the BIOS, but I've experimented with all the combinations and had little to no effect.

I also tried a system restore to about a month before I noticed the problem, and it too had no effect.

I too thought it sounded like a malfunctioning hibernate, but I didn't see many options available in power configuration even when I choose the "show hidden options."

I did try using powercfg -h off and it didn't seem to affect the problem, but it did take away the hibernate option in the start menu. Not that I ever seemed to use it on my desktop.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Bios/driver update?

Had something similair once with an ASUS board so new that windows did not had the correct driver. Took a lot of work and hours in a shop(the shame)until a silly windows update solved all.

5. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Perhaps power to the PC is getting interrupted?

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I doubt it's a BIOS update, as I've never flashed any of the BIOS on any of MY computers. Heck, I can count the number of times I've flashed a BIOS on the fingers of one hand, and I've worked as a computer field service technician. This issue is one I've never seen before.

As for the power being interupted, why wouldn't I notice any problems when using the computer? It only happens when putting the computer into standby/sleep mode (9x-XP and vista/7 terms for the same thing).

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Ok, six years later and I found it was the power supply. I just tried to put it to sleep with a new one installed, (after having to re-enable sleep as an option it), and it worked!
    I was going to take the new power supply out tomorrow and return it, now I'm not so sure.
    Odd that everything else on the computer seemed to work fine up until last week, although the bad RAM makes me wonder how safe it is to put the old power supply back in now that I know it has an issue.

Should I put the old one back in so I can get my $40 back or is it not worth the risk?

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Depends on how much that $40 is worth to you. Seems like you're getting some benefit from the new power supply, so if the money's not that precious you might as well keep it. If it is that precious, maybe it's not worth it given it seems like you buy built computers rather than building your own (i.e. you'd really have no need of a power supply on its own).

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I love a good necro thread. I also hate power supply problems as they are almost impossible to figure out.

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, I did leave the issue unresolved, and found the answer...six years later. Thought I should let everyone know.

My biggest concern is the bad RAM, I have no idea what caused it. I literally shut the computer down and went to bed one night, then in the morning when I turned it on to check my e-mail and the company website for last-minute changes, it gave me trouble. I know there was lightning the night before, but I had turned off the power bars just to be extra safe as I'm a little paranoid after a circa 1988 "Spike Bar" "surge suppressor" failed to protect my Apple IIGS's power supply in 1989 back when I was a kid.

I expect to get the new chips tomorrow or Thursday. Hopefully they'll be waiting for me after work tomorrow.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.