1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

completely lost

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by chadefallstar, Feb 27, 2001.

1. chadefallstar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

ok i just got bg and i dont know what to do. i tried just to figure it out, but its a little different from Krondor and Thief so im not used to this kind of game.

the main problem is that i cant get into my house without getting killed, i cant get very far into the friendly arm without gettin killed, i cant rest without gettin killed, so basicaly i die way to easy. everytime i try t attack i click on the enemy and about 2 minutes later(if i didnt die) i finally swing my sword. what am i doing wrong? heck a walkthrough would be just as good but since i dont know much about this game then i dont know any good sites.

Also, is this anything like diablo? i looks like it, but in diablo i never died until the desert, in bg im dieing left and right. the manuel doesnt really help much, it probably would if i had more of an attention span. well thanks for the help

2. davycop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You should try visiting as many BG sites as you can and read a tips/beginner' section if they have one. I can give you a few points here. I just started playing the game myself but I haven't had any major problems. Try doing the following.

1. Start with a figter (till you get comfortable with the idea of staying alive)

2. Go to options and set auto-pause to trigger whenever you see an enemy.

3. Get all the NPCs to join you. Before you go to Friendly Arn Inn you should have four in your party (you, Imoen, Xzar and the other guy with Xzar)

4. Buy three bows right at the beginning in Candle Keep and buy lots of arrows. (You should have trouble with gold - steal as much as you can). Get armor if you afford it.
    Get the cheapest kind first.

5. Arm all charactewrs with bows.

6. Use the spells that NPCs have during combat

This should be enough to get you to Friendly Arm Inn. You can even wander around a bit a kill a few monsters. I had no problems doing that.

Hope that helps

3. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

the hints of davycop should bring you finaly to the friendly arm:
    wait untill some guards are near you before you walk on the steps to the entrance. they will help you fight the assassin tarnesh.
    in the inn you will meet jaheira and khalid to complete your party first of all. then the fights are easier to win :)

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] It never ceases to amaze me how many people visit our boards without any idea what a complete CRPG coverage site is behind it.
    The message boards you're all on are only a part of a grand scheme called Sorcerer's Place which can be accessed at http://www.sorcerers.net/index.php
    That's the front page. However, our most important part of the site are the Games sections, found at http://www.sorcerers.net/Games
    From there on, you can choose BG, BG2, IWD, PS:T, PoR and NWN.

So for BG1, use http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG
    You'll find tons of tips, tricks, hints, walkthroughs, guides... You name it, it's all there. Take your time and look around a bit.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. chadefallstar Gems: 1/31

thanks davy, after i posted this i replayed as a fighter/theif half-elf and got a little further than before, mainly the problem was that i was used to the fight base of diablo: as many times as you click is as many times as you hit, but i figured out that on bg you just set them to fighting then sit back and wait, which is better. ill try some of your tips too.

one problem with your tip bogi, as soon as i can see the steps, the assassin comes after me and tries to talk. but what i will do is get just past the steps and then wait.

thanks

6. davycop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

That won't work! You can wait till hell freezes over and Tarnesh(the assasin) won't come down. He only appears after he sees you(meaning you have to go near where he is) and once he sees you, he'll come to you to start the dialogue. You can't prevent that. There may be a way to take him out before he starts the dialogue...I don't know. I can tell you exactly what tactics I used but I think it'll be more fun if you figured it out yourself. I took three attempts before I learned how to take him down without casualties. These are the things that make the game fun. Getting stumped somewhere and overcoming the obstacle. You can always ask for help if you really can't beat him and you're getting impatient to move on.

7. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

he will not fight you before talking to you -if you are quick you can go away when you see him and he will follow you.
    so you can lead him to a spot with guards in sight
    another way is to mention the spot where he comes in sight and stop shortly before and wait there for some guards and then do the step forward :cool:

8. chadefallstar Gems: 1/31

yea thats what i did bogi, it worked good. the reason i was dieing was becuase i was using the diablo fight base like i said before, but i figured it out.

thanks yall

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.