1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Comparing warriors

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Wil, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Comparing warriors

I know this is no new subject, but this one is based on numbers.

Who's the best warrior in Baldur's Gate?

The most important stats for a warrior are:
    Strength
    Dexterity
    Constitution

Strength is really what counts because it lowers the THACO and it raises damage points. And what do we want of a warrior?
    A high dexterity lowers your AC. Consitution allows for more HP.

Minsc, with 18/93 is the strongest. It gives him +2 Thaco, + 5 Damage.
    Shar-Teel: 18/58 -> +2 Thaco, +3 Damage
    Kivan: 18/12 -> +1 Thaco, +3 Damage
    Ajantis: 17 -> +1 Thaco, +1 Damage
    Kagain: 16 -> 0 Thaco, +1 Damage
    Khalid: 15 -> 0 Thaco, 0 Damage

If you stop here, Minsc is the best warrior. Please have a look at Khalid's score (don't mistake me, I like him)

Coran is not included because he's more an archer than a melee warrior.

Now, Khalid, Kagain and Shar-Teel are pure fighters and can have 4 proficency points, which gives +3 Thaco and +4 Damage, while a ranger or a paladin can have 2 points, which gives +1 Thaco and +2 Damage.

If you add this, you get:
    Minsc: 18/93, ** -> +3 Thaco, + 7 Damage
    Shar-Teel: 18/58, **** -> +5 Thaco, +7 Damage
    Kivan: 18/12, ** -> +2 Thaco, +5 Damage
    Ajantis: 17, ** -> +2 Thaco, +3 Damage
    Kagain: 16, **** -> +3 Thaco, +5 Damage
    Khalid: 15, **** -> +3 Thaco, +4 Damage
    On this basis, Shar-Teel seems the best, Minsc second. This means that at lower levels, Minsc will be better but not at higher levels.

The dexterity scores are:
    Minsc: 15 -> AC -1
    Shar-Teel: 17 -> AC -3
    Kivan: 17 -> AC -3
    Ajantis: 13 -> AC 0
    Kagain: 12 -> AC 0
    Khalid: 16 -> AC -2

Again, Shar-Teel has the highest score. A low AC is very important for a warrior.

Now for the Con scores:
    Minsc: 15 -> HP +1
    Shar-Teel: 9 -> HP 0
    Kivan: 14 -> HP 0
    Ajantis: 16 -> HP +2
    Kagain: 20 -> HP +5 + regenerates!
    Khalid: 17 -> HP +3
    Of course, Shar-Teel's the worst, but it's important to note that a 9 Con gives no penalty, only you have no bonus HP.
    Kivan, with 14, hasn't more HP than Shar-Teel. And Minsc only 1/level, which means, maybe, 5-6 HP in all.
    To me, the most important is Thaco, followed by damage, HP comes after. At this point, I still would point to Shar-Teel as the best warrior.
    But... (SPOILER)
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    But we know that in Baldur's Gate, you can find Ogre Strength gauntlets, that give 18/00 strength to the possessor.
    With this, who becomes the best: Khalid, or Kagain? (At least, it must be a fighter, with 4 * proficiencies).
    I would favor Kagain because his Con advantage seems better than the Dex advantage of Khalid, but his speciality is axes, and long swords seem better in the game (Another SPOILER:
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    You don't come by an Axe+2 until late in the game, while Swords+2, even +3, are available quiet early).
    So, with these Gauntlets, Khalid is the best warrior.
    Problem: you don't pick up those gauntlets early in the game, and before they are available, you will have to tolerate a rather medium warrior (a chicken, some say).

Because of this, I would stick to Shar-Teel or Minsc.
    If you don't mind evil characters, Shar-Teel is the best, and you can pick her up as early in the game as Minsc. (She's east of the Beregost temple, just go there early - she'll be level 2 - and equip your warrior with a plate mail, it should allow him to vanquish her).

Before I went into details, I thought Minsc was the best.

PS: I hope I haven't messed with the figures!

[ February 07, 2003, 16:14: Message edited by: Wil ]

2. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Thank you for the great comparison :) I've always been told that Minsc were the best fighter in the game. Well, I guess he's not. But anyway, it's roleplaying so it might depend upon what fighters you like(or not), but that's another thing...

EDit: typo's

[ February 08, 2003, 19:40: Message edited by: Djizzu G'izmo ]

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i guess this partially depends on what weapons you like your warriors to have, i find that minsc's proficiency in the long bow can come in quite useful as well as his ability with two handed swords him and my paladin toe to toe with the foes make a potent combination, so minsc is the fighter for me

4. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Shar-Teel would not be it because she dies waaay too fast. Kagain's dex is too low and Khalid is too balanced (why the high int?). Minsc I think is the most useful. But you will want to try the others eventually to get the full scope of the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.