1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Common Names At Different Countries

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Wordplay, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Just out of curiosity, and school work, I would like to ask this: what are the most common names in your country? Second, if you had two children, one a boy and one a girl, what their names would be? ;)

In Finland, the most common names are probably Matti, Juha, Antti and Olli. If I had to choose a name for a boy, it would be (most likely not, eheh :p ) Leevi, and for a girl: Leena.

So, what your choises would be at the moment and totally out of your head? (Just don't start discussing about this with your wife/husband now ;) )

2. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

The most common name in Britain is John Smith. I'd name my son Poindexter (thanks to Sir Bel for this one), not sure on the daughter though.

3. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

The most common male names here are Giorgos, Dimitris and Giannis and the most common female names are Maria and Eleni. As far as the choice of the name is concerned, it is tradition that the children are taking the names of their grantparents.

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

In holland we have many:

for men:

jan
    peter
    willem
    kees
    gijs
    bas
    pieter

For woman

Anne
    Marieke
    anja
    marja

These I think are typically dutch.

Haven't really thought of names for my children.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I can't say. It used to be John, Peter and Stanislas for men, Mary and Anne (sometimes Marianne) for women. Stephen, Vladislas, Adam and Francis followed for men and Sophia & Barbara for women.

Now, however, this is no longer the case. We've had a fad of not giving traditional Slavic names to children and also avoiding the popular non-Slavic traditional ones, like John or Peter. People wanted something new. There was a real boom for Western-style names. You know, Angelica in a Slavic country sounds stupid and so does Oliver.

At present, it's stabilising and people are getting more or less normal names. There's only that trend for ancient Slavic ones that don't function in any other language. Well, maybe except ancient Greek because they composed names in a similar fashion.

If you care, I have a list of names to distribute between my offspring :lol:

Archibald - my old nickname. Don't ask.
    Nalia - no comments. Not for the first name, though.
    James Edward - guess
    Publius - no comments

Of course, the male firstborn shall be named Lucas David. II. ;)

6. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Apeman gave a pretty good list, but I would like to add some names to it:
    For men: Tim, Daan, Niels, Nick, Matthijs.
    For women: Eva.

If I would have children, I would give the name Harper if it was a boy, and Zoe or Alyssa if it was a girl. (Unless the mother strongly disagrees of course or has other good ideas for names)

7. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Common men name (for my generation): Mathieu, Samuel, Maxime, and Éric

Women: Karine, Stéphanie, Julie, and Valérie

For the second question I realy but realy don't know...

8. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Most common Swedish names i can think of is Erik and Johan for males and Maria and Anna for females. My own kid, I haven't the slightest idea. The thought of *ME* having kids is just absurd! :shake:

9. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Mike. I swear to God you can't go anywhere around here without meeting a Mike. A few years ago, five of the twentysix people in my class were named Mike! The next year, our school split into two because of the crowding, and the only grade eight class had four Mikes! It's insane!

10. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well, for every Mike I come across, there is sure to be an equal amount of David's. For girls name's I know a lot of Linda, Debby, Michelle, and Lisa's.

11. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I'd name a child of the male variety '8 inch straight track' (personal joke; actually between me and someone else, so I suppose it's an extended personal joke)

For a girl child 'Minty' or 'Cookie' or possibly 'Cabbage'.

[ November 29, 2003, 23:00: Message edited by: Lazy Bonzo ]

12. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

James seems to be the current fad, although i assume the latest generation is a big bunch of Davids.

My son will be given the almighty name of Cornelius.

13. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @Dragonfly
    I don't even know any Davids, Lindas, Debbies, Michelles, or Lisas! We must be in seperate parts of Canada!

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Heh, quite a diversity. :cool: Would be interesting to know what the most common names would be in african, asian or arabic countries and compare them to these. ;)

15. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Though I'm not from around the area I live in the most common boys names here are Mohammad and Abdullah.

Girls' names vary more than boys' but the most common one would be Sarah.

I would name my son Adam and my daughter Hannah.

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Last post highlighted, IMO, rather interesting point out: religion has affected quite some much what people see as "good" names. I guess it would be easy to say that in african countries common names would be their religions and myths characters names; like Leza, Mawu-Liza, Mulungu, Ngewo or Ntoro. By the same line, common indian names could be Hayagriva, Brahma ("Brama"), Avalokitesvara, or Laksmi. Common chinese names could be Yi, Yu, Okuninushi, Kuanyin, Huang(-di), or Kuanyin. :hmm:

'Course, if here is someone from these places, it would be fun to know did my guesses hit their target. :D

17. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Here, (Georgia, USA) I find the most common are M: Chris, and F: Ashley.

But for my son, all I know is that the middle name will be Beau. (Pronounced bow)

18. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm surprised no one mentioned Kevin yet...

@Canadians: yes, there are too many Mike's and Michael's... but part of them sound like "Michelle" ;)

19. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Some others Apeman didn't mention:

Male:
    Joost
    Klaas
    Wouter
    Bert
    Gert
    Bram

And of course combinations like Pieter Bas, Willem Jan, Klaas Jan and Kees Jan or (with a smile to our politicians and royalties) Jan-Peter and Willem Alexander ;)

Female:
    Anneke
    Hanneke
    Janneke
    Sanneke
    Marjanneke and an other 500 names with anne or -ke (-ke is old dutch for little)
    Toos (less common among younger)
    Mien (less common among younger)
    Joke (less common among younger)

Many dutch names are also common in Germany, btw.

The names Mesmero mentioned, Tim, Daan, Niels and other short names, are quite popular nowadays.

And my name is pretty darn dutch too: Thijs (or Matthijs Pieter for my Christian name :p )

edit: I forgot Jaap (and Jan-Jaap) :)

[ November 30, 2003, 22:15: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

20. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

In Australia it would be shame not to mention Craig for boys and Sharon for girls.

I hope that some other aussies read that and vomit. (Or larf).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.