1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Commercials that you cannot or could not stand

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Describe commercials, past or present, that you just couldn't stand.

One off the top of my head ...

When I first moved to Winnipeg, I immediately tuned into Power 97, the local rock station.

Great station, except ...

Periodically they run ads by Auto List of Canada, that are just terrible. These shameless ads play into every stereotype that you could conjure up with respect to used cars salesmen. The ad they had going when I first moved in had this guy, with a somewhat deep yet slimey voice, cranking out, "All out, Blow out!" in a really obnoxious tone over and over and over again. They toned it down a little in subsequent ads, but not by much. Basically the same guy churning out cheesy slogans like, "We're so cheap, our moms are a little embarassed", "We're ready to make a deal to move the steel", and "Even if your credit's so bad your own momma won't lend you money."

It's like listening to somebody run their fingers over a chalkboard. :mad:

LKD likes this.
  2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That is an easy one.

BILL. E. MAYS. Shut up already. I know he passed away, but I really dislike loud commercials. Very annoying.

Harbour Freight ads are the same way. Loud and what they advertise is junk tools.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Political ads. They just make me want to go Sirhan Sirhan on the idiots.

4. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Commercials that I cannot or could not stand, none that I can think of... I always stand up and go for the fridge whenever the commercial starts. Hehehe.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Any commercial that has a complete frikking tool of a man and a wise woman who helps him understand the simplest of concepts just pisses me off no end. Reverse the roles and the feminazis would be rioting in the streets claiming the commercial leads to spousal abuse, murder, and tartar buildup. <snipping> double standards.:mad:

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I hate infomercials where they show "comparisons" with other products. They act like complete buffoons when using the competing product.

Like knives. The guy with the product being sold gently slices though a loaf of bread; Meanwhile the buffoon next to him with a competing product uses the knife more like a hammer and smashes the bread flat. :rolleyes:

7. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I could fill the forum.

But for something specific, anything apple.

"if you dont have an Iphone....."
    shut the FCUK UP!!!

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This is pretty easy, actually. I cannot stand any commercial. The programs on TV are bad enough in and of themselves, but when they roll out the commercials, I just either have to switch the sound off, or go away and do something else. Which, come to think about it, isn't that much different from the programs themselves. The commercials are just slightly flashier and louder and so fractionally more annoying.

And with about 5 minutes of commercials per 20 minutes of program, is it really any wonder I don't really bother with TV anymore? Any programs that I do actually like to watch, I usually forget to watch, so the TV is not on much anymore. Per e.g., I've moved to a different room more than half a year ago, but haven't even bothered to hook it up to the cable since then.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

A great solution these days is the mighty PVR! Record the show you want, and then watch it while fastforwarding through the crap commercials! With no clunky tape cassettes to deal with and easy onscreen programming that even the stupidest of the stupid could figure out, it's a great way to avoid commercials with morons, fools, and imbeciles pitching trash at us that we just don't need.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.