1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Comic Book Movies

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sapiryl, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I considered putting this in Booktalk, but it focuses more on the movies instead of the books. If you mods disagree, please move it as you see fit.

Basically I just want to know what you guys and gals think of all the focus on comics these days. In my opinion X-Men (or maybe Batman was first...but the later movies were terrible) set a trend, and although it's a great idea I think it's being way overdone.

X-Men came out, as did Spiderman. Next year we've got X-Men 2 and possibly the Hulk. Then we have (sometime in the almost near future) Daredevil, Spiderman 2, Iron Fist, Spiderman 3, X-Men 3, possibly a Batman Beyond, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, and those sequals that have not been announced yet.

At this rate they're going to kill the genre within four years.

2. Silverblade Guest

X-Men sure did revive the comic book movies trend and although I enjoyed that movie, I also think they're overdoing it a little. X-Men was a big hit and now they think they can make money with all sorts of other comic books. It is a good idea that might work and I'm sure that some of those movies will be good but it is just a trend. A while ago there were a lot of disaster movies and now this. Just give it some time, once this genre isn't a succes anymore, the comic book movies will disappear again.

[This message has been edited by Silverblade (edited June 11, 2002).]

3. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I love it, actually. Big, disposable entertainment -- wacky costumes, stuff blowing up, cgi monsters -- is really what brings me to the theater. Serious, artistic movies I prefer to see on DVD in the comfort of my own home. Now and then there is a serious movie that is best seen on the big screen -- LotR of course springs to mind -- but really big screens are best suited to comic book movies and Space operas. Boom! Kapow!

But then, I am not a comic book fan. I might have a different opinion if I were.

4. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I am a comic book fan, or was. The films aren't bad in and of themselves (batman excluded, naturally...what a lemon that was..), but it would be nice if they didn't go out of their way to change the stories for beginners.

I'm thinking of X-men, primarily. Rogue not evil (as she was before she took that other chick's powers and perso), Wolverine & Sabretooth meeting for the first time in the film, that kind of thing.

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It's better than making movies out of TV shows from the 70's.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I really liked the X-Men movie and will perhaps atleast enjoy Spiderman. I have always loved comicbooks but have stopped buying them due to the cost. Its damn expensive! What I dont really like is that they most often make comicbook movies a bit brighter than their comics, not as awful as the cartoons but with a little cheerier tone.

One thing about X-Men though, Logan is way too tall! He is supposed to be like 5 feet tall! Not to mention how skinny he is. But I still think Hugh Jackman does a decent portrait.

[This message has been edited by joacqin (edited June 12, 2002).]

7. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

Well, the casting will never be perfect, but I think Sam Singer did a bang-up job for X-men. (Except for maybe Cyclops...the only thing missing from that guy was his frat cap.)

What I could have done without was this:

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same as everything else."

Is this supposed to reproduce a Dirty Harry moment? Way to go, Ororo...

8. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

I have to agree with Gonzago as far as the script and a lot of the line delivery was wooden at best.

I didn't think that the first Batman movie was so bad. It stuck to the comics' dark nature without ruining the adaptation of modern technology. But to quote from Kevin Smith, "I know that he (Tim Burton) doesn't read comic books. I saw Batman."

I heard that Ben Affleck was supposed to star as Daredevil. With that in mind, I can imagine that the movie will turn out to be as serious and fulfilling as the TV series of "The Tick". :mad:

9. Silverblade Guest

They should have let the original X-men storie line intact and the casting of X-men could be much better. Only Hugh Jackman and Ian McKellen were proporly casted in that movie. James Marsden as Cyclops?, Patrick Stewart as Xavier?, Halle Barry as Storm? and Famke Jansen as Jean?, well they may be good actors but they sure aren't the characters they played.

[This message has been edited by Silverblade (edited June 12, 2002).]

10. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

What was wrong with Patrick Stewart and Halle Barry? I thought those were good castings. The pretty boy playing Cyclops needs to go though.

11. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

That's just the thing though! Cyclops was portrayed pretty well, in my opinion. Man I hated him in the comics. Storm was awful, she came across as being a real wuss, and in the comics she's pretty badass. Wolverine was great, I thought Xavier and Magneto were played really well, but I hated Rogue, she's supposed to be southern.

12. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

It's not a movie but. Witchblade is becoming a series soon. The comic book that turned in to a tv show. I havent seen much of it but theres a few advertisments on my aol radio. I think it has promis since the comic is pretty cool.

13. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

Rogue *was* southern, even in the film.

I was also bothered by the lack of depth in the bad guys, Magneto excluded, of course..

Saw Spidey last night. Fair to middlin'. When will the special effects folks realize that the technology for a believable computer-generated human is just not up to snuff? Where was Spidey's sense of humor? I came away mostly disappointed, really...but it looks like the sequel might be decent...

14. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] i've been a comic book geek for years. there are/will be far too many films comic out in the near future (new ones... hulk, daredevil, ghost rider, etc) i anticipate one flop and the roller-coaster will stop for a while. :wail:

in terms of staying true to the 'spirit' of comics, spider-man and unbreakable were the best. captain america and the punisher were the worst (the last two batman fims don't exist as far as i'm concerned!). :shake:

Gonzago- the film is set at the beginning of spidey's career, soon after his uncle ben's death. having his sense of humour emerge so early after that incident wouldn't have been very realistic. raimi knew what he was doing, he's a spider-geek. :book:

really looking forward to darren aranofsky's batman though! :love:

15. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

Rogue is supposed to be southern, and at the beginning of the movie it set the scene in Mississippi (I think) but throughout the whole movie, she lacked a southern accent. The closest she came was when she shouted, "I saved your life" and it came out kinda sounding like, "I saved yer laugh."

In the comics, she had a VERY distinct southern drawl. In the movie...she had a one week trip to Kansas drawl.

16. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

i'm pretty sure Akira started it off.... that started production in 1984 AND it rocked

17. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG]
    See, just goes to show that you CAN change the source material and make it better.

18. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] yeh, well it also shows that if the source material isn't so great at the start, it'll NEED changing. :shake:

(i pray that if gambit is in X2, he does not speak as he does in the comic... cherie)

19. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Yeah, I agree. The web-shooters were really lame. Much better as an innate ability.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.