1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Co8 installation question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by WickedPrince, Mar 29, 2023.

1. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ok, so I'm back and wanting to play through ToEE again. I'm trying to install things on my new(er) computer rather than my more ancient "gaming" machine which hasn't gotten entirely unpacked yet after my recent move. Reading the instructions for installing CO8 it says you should install the game directly to your C drive as the newer versions of Windows do not like a program in the Programs folder changing itself while running. I'm running Win10 and have the GoG version of the game. So what do I need to actually do to get it working? It's been suggested that I can install CO8 to the ToEE folder inside GoG, but that is also in the Programs folder, so do I need to move it?

2. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    I've installed the GoG version and you can safely install it to C\Program Files or C\Program Files(x86). Weither or not you install it in the GoG subfolder is up to you.

With older versions of Windows and software, it was pretty much standard to put configuration files or save games in the Program Files subfolder where the game is installed. This practice however isn't recommended anymore and Microsoft even has some safeguards in place to prevent programs from tampering with files and folders on C-drive and the Program Files subfolders, among others.

However, GoG releases of games mostly are altered in a way that saves configuration files and save games to places on your system that doesn't have these safeguards, like the My Documents folder. This will be the same for TOEE at least.

So in short: install it any subfolder of C\Program Files you like and enjoy the game. If you run into any trouble, let us know ;-)

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I couldn't get it to install because of the copy protection. Windows 10 and later don't support the copy protection used on the DVD version I own.
    However, as mentioned the GoG versions are often altered.
    On thing GoG often does by default is to create a C: \GOG Games\ folder, and you can install the folder there. This was a common tactic to get around that problem, and I myself have a \games folder on my Vista/7 computer for this same purpose that I created long before I bought anything from GoG.
    Another thing is that sometimes you can get around this limitation by logging in as an admin and turning off User Annoyance Control (UAC) until the game is up and running (and you configured it). Then turn UAC back on.
    Thereafter, if you have trouble with the game on your standard account, use "run as administrator" to start the game. You can edit the shortcuts on your desktop or start menu to always run the game as an admin, although you will always need to type the admin password to start the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.