1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cloakwood

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by kuemper, Jul 28, 2005.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Minor spoilers ahead

Does anybody out there have problems getting through the cloakwood? I explored..erm...*tried* to explore it thoroughly with my first couple of parties and usually ending up reloading, then trudging back from FAI to wherever I was when half my party died to poisoning.

Anytime I now play, I stock up on ammo and potions and make a mad dash for the mines. I only stop for select encounters - Spider's Bane, Aldeth Sashenstar and Gurke's cloak. I can't remember the last time I met with Eldoth and Coran. I've tried to return to FAI for rest and restock, but I always get nabbed by wyverns and spiders *and* it takes two to three days to make the trip.

Knowing the trouble ahead, I don't go until I absolutely have to, so my party's around levels 5-6. Does it get easier with lower levels or does the game engine measure your party level and adjust the encounters?

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I think you get the same encounters without taking into account the level of your party.

I normally scout ahead slowly with two party members, one who can hide in shadows, to uncover the area, and another one right behind detecting traps (normally Kivan and Imoen). In this way I never activte the traps, and the spiders will get a taste of Kivan's arrows before they reach the tanks (who are also waiting with bows and slings at the ready) when pursuing the scouts. If Imoen is carrying an Amulet of Missiles, it's even more fun.

The trick is not to get stuck in web traps, and not to allow the spiders to get too close to poison you. If that happens, ensure that the tanks have good AC, so that they'll be harder to hit, and get plenty of antidotes.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Antidotes are a must. Think about how many antidotes Landrin gave you for taking out four spiders. You can stock up on Antidotes and Elixirs of Health (which cure poison and heal 10 HP) at any temple you come across. If you're really waiting as long as you can to go to Cloakwood, you should have more than enough cash.

It also helps to use Colthrun's strategy of slow movement to pick up the nasty creatures one or two at a time, and just shoot them with missile weapons until they get close enough to engage in melee combat.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I do, I do! I've bought out the temples of Helm and wisdom of antidotes and elixirs and health potions. I scout out the areas (Imoen/Minsc/Kivan) and have sniper back-up ready. What you say = I've done!

I take it you guys have the same troubles?

It is "So *aggrevating*! 'Tis disturbing to my demeanor!" :)

5. Felinoid

Keep in mind that the Slow Poison spell will work too. Unless it's a really bad poison; then you need Neutralize Poison.

6. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

We all get lost in Cloakwood once in a while... :D

7. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

@kuemper Two words: Meat shields.
    Do you have a Wand of Monster Summoning? Or have you got a cleric who can summon skeletons? Send those babies in front and let them take the damage while you make pincusions of the 8-legged freaks with your projectiles.

Also, ensure that you have proper arrows. Fire arrows, or arrows of piercing work wonders on the spiders.

By the way, who are your party members?

[ July 29, 2005, 14:45: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Bah, changing fighting styles doesn't come easy for me. I'm your basic hack 'n slash fighter and I don't summon except in exceptional cases (ToB). But I will try to change my tactics for another run through. Last time I played, my party was:
    PC - paladin
    Jaheira
    Minsc
    Imoen
    Dynaheir
    Kivan/Khalid - can't remember if I ditched Khalid or not. Think I did since Kivan was backing up Immy.
    Branwen - she's there somewhere in one party or another. Need more memory.

I use all the spells - slow poison, healing - and the potions. I'm not much for summoning creatures, but I'll give that a try. Usually I go multiplayer for the pause in the inventory. At least I'm not alone! :)

9. Felinoid

Yeah, Cloakwood's a b****. I really hate that 2 or 3 days to get back to FAI, not to mention the not-so-random encounters along the way.

[rant]
    :wail: I just want to sell things, dammit! Why must I always be tormented by toxic tails, wailed on by wicked wyverns, surrounded by sorcerous spiders, mangled by malicious mandibles, and vexed by venomous ... umm ... vangs? :(
    [/rant]

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

:pope:

Since there's no 'I'm with stupid' smilie.

11. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Antidotes even aren't usually needed.

Fireballs, Wand of Fire, Wand of Frost, lots of Arrows, hit and run tactic with arrows etc. etc.

12. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Viconia can be really helpful since most of the time she will avoid being held and can free your party.
    When you set a trap (aren't you using a thief??) just run away from the zone of effect.
    Don't forget about spidersbane (your tank can save the hide of your hapless party members).

13. Felinoid

@Caradhas:
    You can't set traps in BG1 unless you've got Tutu.

EDIT: Oh, good lord I'm stupid. :doh: :doh: :doh: Never mind.

[ July 30, 2005, 17:24: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

14. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

He meant set off a trap...

15. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Get Coran, Kivan, & make your character have at least 3 * in bows. Watch how quickly the spiders fall beneath your feet when you shoot your array of arrows.

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I have to live to *get* Coran first. What I wanted to know was if everybody else finds the Cloakwood as much of a b*tch as I do. I can't rest there without getting 'woken up' by monsters and I can't get back to FAI *safely* without getting ambushed.

Three guesses as to my ranger's favored enemy. :D

17. Felinoid

He's on the first map; do you really have trouble getting to him?!? :confused:

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I thought he was on the third map with the wyvern cave he wants to investigate. Seeing as it's been :cough:twoyears:cough: since I've played, I'm more than likely wrong. IIRC, I did get him once and went back to FAI to get stuff for him - and died, as usual. :rolleyes:

19. Felinoid

@kuemper:
    You got to plan for the new NPCs, girl! ;) Next time bring the equipment with you, and you can just stick it on him as soon as you find him. That's what I always do.

*spoilers*

Probably TMI, but:

Eldoth and Faldorn are on the third map, while Coran is in the middle of that skinny little bridge on the first map. The wyvern cave is on the fourth map (not to be confused with the baby wyvern cave on the third map :shake: ), and wyverns can also be randomly encountered between 4&mine, 3&4, and I'm not sure about 2&3. :hmm:

20. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

To bring back SAT flashbacks...

Wyverns : Cloakwood :: Cloud Racers : Morrowind.

You can run into those bastards anywhere, once you've run into them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.