1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cloakwood

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Lantus, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] I'm not a really new player, but let's say I haven't finished the game before. Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone has any really good stategies for getting the Spiders Bane in that cave thing. I've done it before, but I'm looking for an easy way out here.

2. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I just use a couple of summons, to keep the spiders occupied whilst my fighters and archers do their work.

Alternatively, use haste + strength potions of Minsc and send him in raged.

3. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I made Dynaheir cast fireball into the center of the cave, and I hasted my characters before entering. I followed that up by having viconia cast animate dead, and surrounded the fat spider lady with skeletons.

I killed off the remaining spiders and finished off the fat thing with my hasted party.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

basically i did the same as rednik. hasted the party and cast whatever buffs i could, sent them in and loosed a fireball into the center. my PC and khalid would be in the front and side abrorbing damage and engaging those damn sword spider while the rest of the party hangs back and peppers them with spells and arrows.

5. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] You could also try the sleep, blind (they work pretty good if they kick in). Blind takes 4 out of the THAC0 and AC of the sword spiders, combine this with a full platemail and you could cut off 8 off the spider's THAC0.

If you have a decent archer give him/her the bracers of archery, because the spiders have a natural 4 bonus to their AC versus missiles.

Also you previously had a hand on a potion of regeneration, use it in one of your frontliners along with a potion of invulneravility, a potion of heroism.

If the mage can cast strenght use it in the other frontliner, the one with no potion of strength.

The cleric can get into the game with Command Word: Die.

Always carry some antidotes (2 minimum) and at least a potion of healing for your 4 first party members.

I suggest the first party formation; 2 in the front, 2 in the middle and 2 in the back.

Oh!... Remember that if you try to pick the corpse, you will need a party member with almost nothing to carry but the corpse, it's pretty heavy; remember that the spiders just south of the guy that requests the body respawn quickly, so try not to give the corpse to your frontliners.

EDIT:

Tell me if this works for you, I'd like to hear.

6. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    A rather cheesy way to fight them is to take advantage of the fact that they cannot follow you outside. You can also leave weaker party members outside if they're getting killed off too easily.

7. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I do whatmakes sense. Block attacking spiders with meat shield, and unleash missle fury.

8. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Thanks for all your ideas. I didn't have much of a problem wiht the place anyway. Thanks anyway

9. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

*Grins* There's always my favourite for clearing most of the cave out first round. Developed and tm'd by me after the spiders killed me too many times.
    A 2 by 3 formation, first 4 people drink a potion of fire resistance. Then everyone throws a potion of exploding or similar in there first round. Leaves maybe 2 or 3 things that are either out of range or quick enough to get out the way.
    I call it 'The more crazy adventurers' tactic :D

10. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Another somewhat cheesy approach, is buff someone up give em an invisibility potion and charge in and get the sword BEFORE the fight. Usually I use the fireball approach, but the first time through I was really low level and was so desperate I had Khalid sneak in and steal it.

11. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I realise that Mages aren't as powerful in BG as they are in BG2... but you can never have too much artillery.

A double dose of Fireball (spell or wand) sorts out most of them, and a couple of archers and/or Magic Missiles should chew through even the Sword Spiders. Just make sure you have your party well back, and ignore the fat lady in the middle - I've never seen her do anything.

12. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

The fireballs usually toast her quite nicely leaving only a couple of spiders and an ettercap maybe 2 to deal with quickly and painfully :evil:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.