1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cloakwood -- The Spider Cave!!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Spellbound, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I must have missed something somewhere, heh, because I have hammered these bloody spiders with everything I've got!...(which does NOT include a fireball spell, btw) and nothing works! I'm ready to give up, move on to Cloakwood 3 and swing by later. Other than a fireball or cloudkill spell, can somebody tell me what works here?? I have used every blasted potion I had (every strength brew known to man), magic missiles, acid arrows, webs -- and still we die -- it's not even a close fight! Grrr! :bang:

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

What level are you with your party?

Usually when I don't have any fireball spell, I concentrate my firepower on one of the sword spiders. Best is to get two tanks to attack one Sword spider (preferably one with a long sword HTH with the spider and the other tank with a TH sword or Halberd/spear behind your other tank) and let the rest shoot missile weapons at it. Always keep your mages very near the exit, this way you can get out with your entire party when it gets too risky. Make sure your party doesn't get cut of from the exit or gets seperated (this is actually hard considering the outlay of the map)

If you killed the first Sword spidey go outside, heal and kill the other with the same tactic. Now what's left is some ettercaps which shouldn't be too much of a problem otherwise use the tactic from above.

This may be very cheesy but using a wand of fireballs is in my eyes even more cheesier.

P.S. bring some antidotes ;)

3. Spellbound

Both fighters, cleric and thief are level 5, mage and druid, level 4. We've got a long sword +2 and a great sword +1. Problem is we're all out of our specialty arrows and bolts (+ 1, lightning, biting, etc.), so a ranged attack is proving useless. (I actually went back to FAI for a restock, but couldn't find any enhanced bolts or arrows, or fireball potions, etc.)

I like your idea of hitting one sword spider and exiting though. Hadn't tried that...I had sent my fighters down to the middle of the web, leaving my mage and thief exposed.

Out of frustration, we moved on to Cloakwood 4, with the thought of coming back to 3 and taking care of that spider cave later.

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Do sword spiders need +1 weapons to hit?

You could do the mines first, you'll earn another level and iirc a fireball spell (Or is there one in the bandit's camp?) but you will miss out one a nice +2 two handed sword.

It can be done by moving your fighter with +2 long sword to the nearest Sword spider, then moving your fighter with +1 two handed sword behind him but still attacking. Then pummel it with magic missiles and arrows from your mage an thief. Go outside when you kill it and rest/heal and go back.

If needed use some bless or aid spells to your fighers from your clerics, every little bit helps.

5. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Using wands or potions for tough fights isn't cheesy, running out when you know monsters won't follow you because of game limitations is.

6. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

No, spiders can be hit by normal weapons.

What I do, is march in there and concentrate everything on the Sword Spider(s). If you don't bring the other one into view, you can safely kill the first SS. After that, the other spiders should be easy. Then, when you bring the other spiders into view, throw every ranged attack and spell at the coming spider. Haste if you got it, cuz that'll really help.

7. Spellbound

When I enter the cave and the dialogue is finished, ALL spiders are in view and ALL proceed to attack me. I can try to be selective on the swords, but I don't think that'll work since they all seem to be up front and center in a blink of an eye, giving us no chance at all. :mommy:

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As long as we're on the subject...can anyone tell me what that lard-butt in the middle of the room is supposed to be? I guess it's a queen, but ??? What IS that?

I've never really been sure. :( It's scary

9. Spellbound

Finally!! You guys were right! As long as I focused on the sword spider first, the others stayed back. Once the sword was dead, it was easy pickings! :D

10. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    @Death Rabbit

I guess it's a very large...fat...and naked (!) lady...who somehow controls spiders?

Oh yeah, now I remember, some guy Jon Icarus cursed her into this form.

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Would that be jon irenicus from BG2?

12. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Apeman, do a search, this has been discused so many times before...

13. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Just curious, in the time you typed that reply you could have also said the answer though.

But alright lesson learned ;)

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Cloakwood isn't that hard although my BG1 party was 1 pally, 1 ranger, 1 fighter, 1 fighter/druid, 1 thief, 1 mage and that makes above average melee potential. No problems though besides excessive antidote abuse ;)

15. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just use a couple of good old fire balls and kill em all! That worked fine for me.

16. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

This is strategy that I use with my pathetic and not-rested party in IWD2:

Advance with bait character to be attacked. Keep running in circles with him. They will pursue him. When the enemies are not very quick, he should be able to avoid being hit. Sure, rest of characters are firing bows...

17. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

If you take out the sword spiders first, they will all stay back and it is really easy.

18. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Haste, Hack, Heal. That's my tactic for every battle if i can.

2 tanks, then 2 to 4 others that include mages, clerics, druids. That makes a good party once you've leveled a bit, but not so good early on.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.