1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cloak of Balduran?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by pokeyloki, Sep 18, 2008.

1. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I thought I knew most of the stuff in BG, but I haven't seen that yet.
    Another thing I wasn't sure what it was about is (sorry I'm forgetting names) the duke's house at the Northwest corner of Baldur's Gate. If I get that sleazy bard in the druid part of Cloakwood, does that go somewhere? I never used him cause he seemed so weak that it wasn't worth havin:confusedg to carry his a** around and soaking up exp, just to find out.
    Sorry I'm rambling, but Ive never had much use for any of the bards. Really the only thing they got going for them is bardsong which they have to keep up during a battle, so they can't do anything else, and even that effect is replacable with chant, or other priest spells, so what do bards have that's so great?

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    If you bring Eldoth to Skie's house, you can kidnap her. You get something like 1000GP a week, IIRC. Plus, you get Skie as a team member (although she's not that useful).

Worth playing out at least once, I think. Plus, Eldoth's not a bad character - he can create Poisoned Arrows that are very potent.

Put Eldoth, Garrick and Skie in the same party for some interesting interaction, but probably not a whole lot of effectiveness.

3. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

I'm just starting a new game, so I'll try that. My main character is pretty strong, so it'll be like a new challenge to get through without the weak ones getting mauled too awful bad.
    So what are some other interesting character combinations?

4. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

any group with tiax is interesting :)

5. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The cloak is in the under cellar (I think that's what it's called).

One of the girls has it.

You get a clue somewhere that also tells you about the helm on one of the stoned people.

6. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Petrified is probably the right word to go :shake:

The girl that has it, is located in the room South-West of the centre if I remember correctly (havn't played it in a while). I don't think she hands it over willingly, so you'll have to be sneaky. You COULD kill her, and most of the UnderCeller while you're at it if you feel naughty :evil:

7. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think she does if you talk to someone or do something right first.
    If not pick-pocket works good. ;)

8. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

Coool.

I'll go check it out.

I wonder what story line leads to finding it, without having heard about it from, well, here?

9. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

Found the Cloak. It's as cool as I'd hoped. Now my fighter has -13AC, which is pretty rockin'. I seem to remember some game I had a long time ago when my character had an AC of -14, but I don't remember how I did it.

This time I have regular Full Plate, Ring of Protection +2, Claw of Kazgaroth, Helm of Balduran, Falling Stars shield, Twinkle, and now the cloak. I'm sure it's all old news to the rest of you and you're yawning already, but this is the kinda stuff that makes the game fun for me, so I can't help saying Yay!

10. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Yeah I remember how excited I was playing BG for the first time, finding all these super-powerful items . . . OH wait!! That still happens everytime I play :D

I actually don't ever think I got an AC that low, but then again I always played a thief :rolleyes: And I always shared the equipment around, so everyone had a decent AC.

What's the dexterity stat for your fighter Pokeyloki??

11. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

"Ajax", Fighter, str22, dex22, con23, int13, wis15, chr16. I rolled good stats, but then I liked him so I exported him through a couple games and read books.

Also, after putting it off for a while, I finally downloaded tutu yesterday, and found that on there you can wear enchanted armor And ring(s) of protection. I haven't figured it out how low I can go yet with this new set up, but maybe to -16AC or more (less?)

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

here is the NONE cheese way to get the cloak ;)

the mage Degrodel is in one of the houses in BG, kill his helmed horrors, etc. and he'll be impressed enough with your abilities to offer you a job. if you accept, go over to felonius gist's manor and use the stone-to-flesh scrolls to bring back the adventurers. once they're back, be a douchebag and kill them just after saving them, thus retrieving the note on the leader with the clues to the cloak and the helm of Balduran.

The clue leading to the location of the helm is pretty straightforward. I like the irony in that it is actually in the building practically right next to Degrodel's house, heh. The note tells you where to find Quenash in the undercellars and opens up the dialog with her to get the cloak. once you talk to her, all you have to do to convince her to give you the cloak is to describe the guy who gave it to her/who you just butchered.

or you could just kill her. heh.

13. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

What I ended up doing is telling the stoned guy in the corner that I really wasn't interested in the Helm of Balduran (just a little white lie), so he became much less unfriendly and told me to go see his girlfrend who hangs out in the Undercellars.

Also, I found out that in tutu, you still can't wear rings of protection with enchanted armor. Rings that you get in the current tutu game, that is. The ones I brought with me when I imported my character I can wear with anything.

14. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Just a friendly pointer. Threads discussing tutu should go in the ToB forum ;).

15. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

Yep, thanks. That's why I stopped talking about it, outside of correcting a post I had made earlier.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    How about we just move the thread instead? ;)

17. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

18. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You could pickpocket the statues before you use the stone-to-flesh scrolls. Even if you fail the pickpocket, as long as none of the statues are unstoned and you don't have the owner of the house in sight, nobody will turn hostile. Then, once you've pickpocketed all the statues, use the scrolls to destone them. I think there's a dialog that you can also use to get the guy to give you the scroll, but I can't remember it. Only did it that way once. I'll have to look at the tree with InfinityExplorer.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2008
  19. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

Wow, I didn't think you could pickpocket stoned people. 'Spose that works on the statue in the Basilisk area?

What's that? It sounds like "the tree" is a map of parallel possible action lines branching at decision points. Is "InfinityExplorer" an obtainable tool?

20. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.