1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

clerics

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Hellheart, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Hellheart Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] How in the abyss does spontaneous casting work. Anyone an idea? Anyone?

2. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

IIRC, good xlerics can cat any of their normal (non domain) spells as healing spells of the same level. Evil clerics can do the same with Harm spells, and I think neutral clerics can do either.

3. ratwhowouldbeking Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Look at your cleric spells in the radial menu. Hold the Shift key. Oooh and ahhh as appropriate.
    Neutral clerics can choose to channel negative or positive energy only at the game's onset. Type of energy channeled changes spontaneous casting (cure or inflict spells) and turning undead (destroy or control).

4. Hellheart Gems: 3/31

I AM a true neutral cleric and I didn't have to choose my kind of energy!
    Could it be that my chosen deity only allowed positive energy and thus I couldn't make a choice?

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    In PNP possibly, in ToEE I don't know. Clerics of Helm in Forgotten Realms or St Cuthbert in Greyhawk, for instance, cannot be of evil alignment and rebuking undead is forbidden to them, therefore inflict spells are probably out of question, as well. Still, I doubt you would choose Helm for a TN cleric. Who's your deity?

6. ratwhowouldbeking Gems: 1/31

Forgot to mention that... the exceptions in ToEE:
    Lawful neutral clerics of Wee Jas channel negative energy.
    All clerics of St. Cuthbert and all non-evil clerics of Obad-Hai channel positive energy.

You generally want to channel positive energy anyway. Cure spells are much more effective than Inflict spells in most cases, since Inflict spells must be cast right next to an enemy and draw an attack of opportunity. And commanding undead might sound cool, but I find it much more satisfying to watch them a room of 'em crumble *grins*

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The spontaneous aspect of casting is best used for healing. I didn't bother using an inflict spell all game because if my fighters usually got their asses kicked by monsters, what good would running my cleric right up to a monster and getting an AoO do?

I would also say that the Rebuke Undead is better for the purposes of winning the battles because rebuked undead stay around for a while, and can help win a lot of fights. The townsfolk typically don't mind a mob of undead with you and don't take notice.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    BTW, don't inflict spells require you to hit the enemy like in 2E? Cure spells don't make you roll anything except hit points cured and they're always a sure cast.

9. ratwhowouldbeking Gems: 1/31

It's a touch attack... means that you make an attack roll, but the enemy doesn't get an armour bonus. Mostly useless against rogue-types, in other words.
    It would've worked better if Inflict spells were ranged touch attacks... the chance of failure would still even out no more attacks of opportunity. As it stands, it's a way to deal some decent damage from the frontlines with the enemy having less AC, especially those nice beefy heavy-armoured targets.

10. Hellheart Gems: 3/31

Forgot to say , my cleric's deity is Pelor , domains are sun and strenght.

11. indria Gems: 1/31

i don't get the spell "heat metal"

after the cleric casts it, an orange fog appears around the target but nothing happens, just an orange fog. the target doesn't take any damage or penalty.

12. Hellheart Gems: 3/31

I think that spell does hurt only the attackers of the target with the 'heat metal' spell. A bit like the 'fire shield blue' & 'fire shield red' spells do.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.