1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Clerics and druids and that's it

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Vukodlak, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] I was thinking of using the NPCs to form an all cleric party. In fact if you include the druids it can be a whole party:

PC
    Jaheira
    Cernd
    Viconia
    Aerie
    Anomen

I think it is surprisingly well balanced – all have cleric spells (obviously), Aerie has some mage spells, Anomen, Jaheira and Cernd (as werewolf) can melee decently. Only possible problem is the lack of a thief. Keeping all this in mind I would like to ask for your opinion on certain questions:

1. What about the PC? At first I thought either a Priest of Helm/Talos/Lathander or a Druid avenger (as I played neither so far). But then, I don’t want to be plagued by the lack of a thief so maybe a MC cleric/thief? (AFAICS only gnomes and half-orcs can do this). Or maybe some DC character? Ideas and suggestions please.

2. The NPC alignments are all over the place, so the PC will have to be neutral (maybe an extra incentive to play a druid). What about the conflicts among the NPCs? Will Anomen suddenly go all-righteous when he becomes a knight (I don’t know - never kept him that long). Or will Aerie decide to go Charlie Bronson and try to murder Viconia? (BTW as an interesting side-note, did you notice it’s always good characters who try to kill the evil ones – e.g. Keldorn, Valygar, Mazzy Vs Viconia, Minsc Vs Edwin etc).

3. Do you think it will be fun to play? I think it will be quite odd, as the tactics will have to be different half the time. For instance, I don’t think the undead will be a problem any more – not with all those clerics. Also, healing potions won’t be as necessary as usual. With just Aerie able to cast breach, dispel magic is going to be crucial.

4. Err… Anyone know where I can get 6 good slings? :D:D:D

2. C'Jakob Guest

Sounds . . . Interesting, but doable. I suggest the PC be a Cleric/Thief (MC or DC, it doesn't really matter), because no one else can pick locks, remove traps, etc. (Although you could use Knock and Find Traps)

Six Good Slings:

[*]Arla's Dragonbane - +3 Sling
    [*]Sling of Everard - +5 THAC0, +2 Damage , Makes own bullets.
    [*]Sling of Avoreen - +4 Sling, Sonic Boom once/day
    [*]Sling of Seeking - +2, plus Strength Bonus
    [*]2 Slings +2

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  3. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Where do you get these slings??

4. C'Jakob Guest

SPOILER

[*]Arla's Dragonbane: Temple Ruins, in the woman's statue's arms. (not the one that gives you riddles)
    [*]Sling of Everard: Bonus Merchant CD, or a download from SP.
    [*]Sling of Avoreen: Beholder Tunnels in the Underdark.
    [*]Sling of Seeking: From Bernard after you rescue Hendak
    [*]Sling +2: Planar Sphere (Myconoid Room), or a good store. (Adventurer's Mart, for instance)

[This message has been edited by C'Jakob (edited March 28, 2002).]

5. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Actually, I probably won't need 6 slings as I intend to keep Cernd as a werewolf most of the time. Hehe, those sunstone bullets are going to be a prized posession.

What about the NPC aignements? Anyone had any problems there? BTW, in this party are all three romanceable female NPCs - so there'll be some interesting conversations at the start.

A few more thoughts about the PC:

With a thief: there are a few interesting ideas here - a human swashbuckler/cleric using a staff (Friar Tuck, anyone); a human bounty hunter/cleric (those traps are heavy artillery) or a half-orc MC thief/cleric (the only other class available for this - the gnome - gets a penalty to wisdom - although I think they get some thieving bonuses).

Without a thief: As you said, use find traps and Aerie can use knock. In that case I think I'd try an avenger - I hear they are fun, and I would get a few more mage spells, plus more druid spells (as Cernd will spend most of his time as a doggie).

Opinons people?

6. C'Jakob Guest

Yes! Yes!

*smooches Vud*

Someone's actually using an Avenger!

But on the thieves' note, you won't be able to remove traps :(, some of which you won't be able to avoid; and some go off continually, so that's a downside.

As for NPC clashes, nothing serious (mostly), although the different Priests all do have some. . . interesting conversations.

[*]Viconia mocks Cernd for being a nature-loving treehugger, and the druid retorts by dissing (sorta) she and her goddess.
    [*]If you're a male, Aerie, Jaheira, and Viconia will all argue, although nothing serious erupts.
    [*]If Anomen fails to become of the Radiant Heart, he'll attack Aerie and get quite pissed at several party members. (When he failed, he called Jaheira a "dirty wench" or something)
    [*]Cernd and Jaheira, naturally (no pun intended ;)) will get along nicely.

7. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'd go with a cleric/thief.

8. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

I know the traps will be a problem, but since people have soloed with all sorts of things (and without even detect traps) I don't think my party will need a thief. Besides it will be a nice extra challenge.

I am, however worried about something else. Is there any clerical spell that helps against imprisonment?

9. Desu Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Scroll against Undead/Magic :)

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Shield of the Archons will help.

11. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Thank you Desu and Extremist.
    Ah excellent, I forgot all about the green protection scrolls.
    Never even used shield of the Archons before - looks as though it's going to be my new best friend.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that some encounters that would be very diffciult with a 'normal' party will be easy with this one. Also vice versa - I have no doubt that some enemies I don't even think twice about will prove to be very difficult when attacked by a bunch of clerics and druids.

Oh incidentally, what do greater werewolf's claws count as? Slashing, piercing, blunt? Magical even?

[This message has been edited by Vukodlak (edited March 31, 2002).]

12. C'Jakob Guest

Logically, a greater werewolf's claws (and a normal werewolf's too) should be slashing, although it's really anyone's guess. However, I do know that a werewolf's claws count as +3, and a greater werewolf's count as +4, so a Shield of the Archons on Cernd, and he can take down Kangaxx anytime.

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I would like to point out that on the missile weapon question, Jaheira can use darts as well.

Ara
    (Larp games are causing a bit of an obsession....)

14. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

I've never really used darts. Are they any good? That could be interesting, I think I found LOADS of darts of wounding in spellhold and just left them there. BTW is this only for Jaehira or for all druids?

15. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

16. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Ha! Of course, I should have known it'd be Ragusa who came up with that one. OK, I'll give darts a chance this time through.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.