1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Claw of Kazgaroth + Drizzt Questions.

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Jester, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I don't think so.
    It is no doubt that Drizzt is a real hero, and Sarevok is (only) a Bhaalspawn with relatively big power.
    If they were fighting (Sarevok vs. Drizzt) though, Sarevok (SAREVO.CRE, who you face in final battle of BG1) would slay Drizzt. I have tested this. The explanation: Sarevok has 285 HP, Drizzt has 92 HP. If the enemy does not make a save vs. death at +4 when Drizzt hits him, the enemy receives 30 damage: Sarevok's Saving Throw vs. Death: 1

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The Sarevok in the final battle who you face is the only Sarevok you face in battle in BG.

3. Baronius

Not really. The Sarevok you face in Duchal Palace (where he tries to kill the dukes with dopplegangers) is SAREVO2.CRE, who has 100% resistance to everything except physical damage. And has a lot of HP. Of course he cannot be slain there.

4. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Re: Drizzt killing Sarevok. I consoled Drizzt in during the final fight once just to see who was stronger. Sarevok wiped the floor with him. Twice. It took Drizzt number 3 to actually bring Sarevok down.

Kind of surprised me really as Drizzt is one of the forgotten realms most durable heroes and it seemed a but unusual that Sarevok, tough as he is, would get the better of him. And not just once, but twice.

5. Baronius

So you are checking the topic from story/world aspect. Drizzt is really a great hero, but let's not forget that Sarevok is child of Bhaal, and got good training while he was at Iron Throne.
    And another thing: Normally, in Baldur's Gate, these two creature won't meet. The situation we assumed is a theoretical and artificial one. The creators payed attention to Drizzt-protagonist(and party) and to Sarevok-protagonist(and party) relationships, and not to Sarevok-Drizzt encounters. So their HP and everything might have not been balanced according to the aspects above.

6. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

The point wasn't whether Drizzt could beat Sarevok, it was to point out that Drizzt is an uber-munchkin, made unnecessarily powerful by Bioware to protect/promote books. Sarevok has incredibly high stats to make him a strong boss character and is a reflection of his heritage; the fact that Drizzt's stats and resistances go beyond Sarevok's--with zero effort to justify them from a roleplaying POV-- is ridiculous.

7. Baronius

It is the choice of each player whether (s)he likes it or not that the original books and/or concept of the world/heros are not entirely implemented in a game. As for me, I have no problem with Drizzt or Sarevok in BG1.

8. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Sarevok has 285 hit points in BG. Wow. I didn't know that so wow. Yeah Sarevok would kill Drizzt alone.

Why are Sarevoks so low later one then. Well not low compared to other charecters but 170 isn't 285.

9. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

More to the point, how the hell did Sarevok get 285 HP? Not even a 40th level fighter with the maximum constitution possible can get anything like that many HPs.

I don't see anything freakishly over the top with Drizzt's stats. Now if he had STR, CON and DEX 25 or 400 HPs I could understand that but while his stats are high, they're not hideously overpowered and not beyond what it's reasonable to expect him to have. Also bear in mind that Drizzt is one of the Forgotten Realms greatest heroes. Wouldn't it be kind of strange if he had average stats?

10. CamDawg

A quick note: Sarevok's HP are artifically inflated; in the final battle when you knock him below 150 hp his script kills him and triggers the end movie. I have no idea why it was done this way, but there you go. He effectively has 135 hp, which is still too high for a level 15 fighter, but certainly more reasonable than 285!

The issue with Drizzt isn't the stats, it's the bonuses. You do not get 30% physical damage reduction, 98% magic resistance and 100% fire resistance for being a level 16 ranger. :p (And yes, I have the same issues with Sarevok's 90% elemental resistances and 50% missile resistance.) If you're going to include him, at least make him canon. Or something approaching canon. Or within sight of something approaching canon. Or... well, you get the idea. :)

11. Baronius

I also wondered on his 285 HP, because during the final battle, I can always easily kill him (make him lose the battle) with 6 Magic Missiles (only 2 wizards are needed, or even one with Ring of Wizardry).
    As far as the resistances are concerned, Drizzt is a drow, so the Magic Resistance could be OK, but not 98% at 16th level. But he is a great hero after all :D

12. CamDawg

Drow only have 50% MR, and they lose it (and their other drow abilities) gradually when they travel in sunlight. After a few weeks topside it would have dropped to zero.

13. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Drizzt's the daywalker!

14. Baronius

Drizzt is not an ordinary drow as we know, so... :D

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I don't see how Drizzt can be classed as a level 16 ranger. According to his history in 'The Dark Elf Trilogy' he was brought up a fighter by the Drow Fighter Academy: Melee-Magthere of Menzoberranzan. He is more of a fighter than a ranger since he only ever uses 'ranger powers' in 'Passage to Dawn' to charm an animal. Not to mention he 'never' casts a ranger spell... He should be a level 16 fighter.

And a paladin 'could' kill him, especially if the PC is one. The PC in this game has grown up a rather sheltered life with little experience. Drizzt's reputation by this time would probably have reached Luscan and Neverwinter but not Candlekeep. A paladin would see Drizzt - a drow - and would attack him simply for being a drow.

16. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Abomination, I seriously urge you to use that 'Detect Evil' ability of yours ;)

About Drizzt being a ranger: I think he's ranger-classed to emphasize his goodness.

17. Baronius

Unfortunately, the BG creature file (DRIZZT.CRE) does not help us in this matter, because his class is Innocent there (It was needed in case of Drizzt because if you kill a creature with class Innocent or Flaming fist, you lose reputation.)

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Salvatore didn't base his novel character on a D&D template. Others tried to fit Drizzt into a D&D mould later.

19. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Any paladin could kill Drizzt because they made him such a jerk that he will attack you if you "say the wrong thing".

Also you can pickpocket his items off him since as was mentioned above he is uber-munchkin and he actually fights with these 2 uber rings which as Baronius has explained do huge damage for no reason...

Death to Drizzt...

20. Rav'n Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Go back and reread Slavatore Bio, Drizzt IS based off DnD. Salvatore was playing DnD before most people at this website were probably born. He and his buddies were LONG time players. The characters in his books are based off characters they played. As far as Drizzt being a Ranger, that's well documented in the first series with "Mooshie" But your prolly right on tge fact that the classifiction was based on Drizzt being the antithisis of everything Drow. Drizzt uses his Ranger skills in every book. The question I pose to all of you is this...
    Does Drizzt use his Ranger skills in every book because he IS a Ranger?
    OR
    Are the Books based on a Ranger so he CAN use his ranger skills?

Either way to Hate Drizzt because you have to watch what you say around him and how you answer his questions seems unfair. If you're gonna hate him.. Hate him for the color of his skin or because he's Drow!!!

*the preceding message was brought to you by the committee for a better Faerun*

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.