1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Classic modules, top stuff?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by chevalier, May 17, 2009.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Feeling a bit nostalgic and having problems with my Internet connection these days, so I can't really play Warcraft III for distraction when I need to spend some time on what's not law or other job-related. Since the few NWN2 modules that catch my attention I've already played, I though I'd take a look at NWN1 once again - especially as I still have it installed after playing Pirates of the Sword Coast and Wyvern Crown recently.

However, I undoubtedly won't have that much time. There's a lot to do in terms of job or academics. No full time gaming. So what's the really best stuff?

To narrow it down a bit, I don't play anything that can't be played as a Good character, so necrostuff, pacting with daemons, trapping souls etc are out. Plus, I hate the obsession with the occult in many fantasy works of this day, including some of the recent releases. So modules with that kind of theme are not for me. Similarly, I don't really feel like playing some extremely jaded dark fantasy. So it's heroic or realistic or just downright lighthearted and funny. Whatever. :)

Also, I would like no overwhelming bugs and no game-stopping riddles, especially when there's no walkthrough anywhere. Don't have the time or patience to look up solutions to something totally off, especially when I risk not finding it and just wasting my 10 hours play time or so.

I'll likely be playing a paladin character, but I'm not against trying a bard or ranger or some such. But not a proper spellcaster or full-time rogue or monk.

If this helps any, I like books from S. Lawhead, G. Cook, T. Williams, G. Martin and obviously Tolkien. I like early Salvatore more than new Salvatore. I loved Wyvern Crown, ShadowGuard wasn't bad, Kingmaker was off but not bad (too dull anyway), Pirates of the Sword Coast weren't bad but ultimately not my style and not so rewarding (and a bit dull). Darkness over Daggerford ruled. This should kinda show you what I'm looking for. I'm sure there are some veterans who've played quite a couple of modules.

I would be tempted to look at the series with Cormyrean Nights, Crimson Tides of Tethyr etc, Tyrants of the Moonsea... there was a longish series with a module "fall of something" that looked promising but I can't recall.

So what should I take a look at?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Have you played Twilight and Midnight? Those are modules for paladins, not bad thus far (and highly rated).

Others recommended for Paladin:

Darkness Over Daggerford -- this is on par with any of the professional modules.
    Shadowlords, Dreamcatcher, and Demon Campaigns -- these are a series of short modules (a couple hours each at most, except Demon). They are a bit old, but entertaining.
    the HeX coda 01 -- this was an interesting module made more for a wizard or sorcerer, but a paladin could do well in it.
    Return to Ravenloft and Ravenloft: Beyond the Gate -- the first quest in Return to Ravenloft is annoying but killing undead is right up a paladin's alley. I've run into problems with NPC control, but that really shouldn't be a big issue for a paladin main character -- it's painful for a cleric though.

I've heard good things about (but have not played):
    Tortured Hearts I -- this mod is huge with extensive dialog. It has excellent reviews and is on my 'to do' list. The follow on to this (unimaginatively named Tortured Hearts II) requires CEP.
    Rose of Eternity (Chapters one and two) -- these are short but have great reviews. The second chapter requires CEP.

There are some very good modules for thieves out there. The best I've tried is Dances with Rogues but it's very adult oriented (explicit sex and the opening scene includes rape of the main character -- who must be a human female).

Pretty much any of the modules in the Top Rated section of NWVault should be good.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  3. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

T2's suggested most of the best ones, but also worth a look might be The Accursed Tower, which I found on the "Overlooked" list, and is actually based off of a PnP adventure written by R. A. Salvatore. Haven't got round to playing it yet (I'm in the middle of Darkness over Daggerford!), but the setting is classic Faerun. Of Paladin-specific modules, I haven't a clue I'm afraid.

4. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'd second many of T2 Brunos suggestions, the Shadowords, Hex Coda and Ravenloft are quite good, and Tortured Hearts I and II are great. I took a paladin through both Ravenlofts and had a lot of fun, plus there are good temptations that it is fun to resist.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.