1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Classic Gaming - DR. ROBOTNIK'S MEAN BEAN MACHINE for MEGA DRIVE/GENESIS

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Disciple of The Watch, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I had errands to run at the flea market today, and I had some extra cash, so I stopped by my favorite classic gaming spot to see if I couldn't find another lost treasure. Browsed the Master System section -- nothing. Sega CD -- don't have one yet. 32X -- also lacking in my collection. Genesis -- Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

Having grown up playing classic Genesis games, the Sonic series being one of those, I had heard of this game but never actually played it... I wasn't big on puzzle games when I was a kid, except of course for the almighty Tetris. Curiosity got the better of me, and I went ahead and bought it. I plugged my NEW model 2 Genesis, popped this <d>ucker in, and powered it on. For the sake of a better controller, I used the MASTER SYSTEM controller instead of my regular MEGAFIRE.

On to the game itself, though. It's no secret I am a HUGE Columns mark, I absolutely LOVE this timeless classic, and I play it on a regular basis, hell, I can play this game for hours. Being someone with ADHD, I have difficulty focusing on a game for a long time, but I can play this game and be hooked on it for hours and never be bored. But enough about the almighty COLUMNS, and my eternal LOVE for this TIMELESS CLASSIC, and on to Mean Bean Machine.

I talked about COLUMNS, and it's a fair comparison, but instead of just switching the order of the blocks with the trio remaining vertical, Mean Bean Machine allows moving the pair of blocks horizontally as well. Like COLUMNS, the goal is to line up colors... but unlike COLUMNS in which lining three of the same is enough to eliminate them, Mean Bean Machine requires four of the same color.

Mean Bean Machine is also a SIGNIFICANTLY HARDER game than COLUMNS. Let me put it this way -- COLUMNS on Genesis is TOUGH. This is EXTRA TOUGH... I have to reach the 200 blocks bar!

Not really much else to say other than Mean Bean Machine is a fun, challenging puzzle game, and fans of Columns, Tetris and this genre of puzzle games should definitively check out Mean Bean Machine, for it's a worthy addition to your Genesis games collection.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.