1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Clams

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lazy Bonzo, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Clams. What are they so happy about?

For those of you who are thinking 'Bonzo's gone nuts again, oh well at least it's not about raisins this time' I will explain. At work today I saw the address of somewhere called 'Hartburn' which made me think of 'Heartburn' which made me think of a comedy sketch where the comedian uses the word 'heartburn' and then says he is 'as happy as a clam'.

It's a pretty common phrase (I hope :hahaerr: ) but I want to know why are clams happy? I mean I don't think I would enjoy being a clam and they don't seem to have much fun, so why are they happy??

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Dude, stop smoking that crap. :D

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, 'Bonzo's gone nuts again' still seems appropriate. :p (And raisins? :confused: )

Anyway, in case this is actually a serious question, the original phrase is 'happy as a clam in the mud at high water'.

From here

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Doctor! Doctor urgently needed! :shake:

5. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

Hmmm but why are clams happier when they are in 'the mud at high water' ? I wouldn't want to be all muddy if I was a clam.

So now i know the whole phrase but I still don't see why the 'mud at high water' part makes clams happy.

6. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Shaved clams make me happy...maybe it has something to do with that.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Maybe because most of the clam diggers don't come out until low tide, so the clam knows it has at least another 12 hours to live?

The other version of this saying that I've heard is "happy as a clam that's buried in the sand where nobody's digging for him."

Oh, God, does this mean I'm as nutty as you are?! ;) Go lie down 'til you feel better, then go write more! :p

8. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

People eaaaaaattttttt clams??????? and shave them?????? You are joking right???? Ok this could all be down to another thingy, i'm not entirely sure what clams are. I like to think of them as oysters without the 'o', the 'y', the 's's , the 't', the 'e', and the 'r', but with a 'c', and an 'l' and an 'a' and a 'm'.

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Uh, yeah. They're a shellfish. Animalia -> Mollusca -> Bivalvia -> yadda yadda yadda. Taste great in soup or on pasta.

As for the other part, I have a feeling that's an Americanism. I've usually heard the term "mussels" in this context (been to Bertha's, LNT?), but it refers to a particular component of female anatomy. Use your imagination. :)

10. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

What, you've never heard of clam chowder? :eek:

11. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Are kidding me ? :lol:
    Clams rule, no question about it. Trust me on this, they have been around for a while now ;)
    Your average clam, once he (or she, or even both... ah, the wonders of nature) has found a nice spot where to settle, does nothing all day but open the valves, suck the water in and filter particles. Free feeding, 24/7 . ! Not one care in the world. No thoughts neither (ok, maybe this is not sooo good, but nobody's perfect). Plus, as soon as something the clam does not like approaches, the valves close up, and the clever animal is safe and sound.
    If, on top of this, the clam is on muddy ground, it can dig itself in deeper and grow bigger in all safety. And if you live on the shore the low tide will leave you dry, therefore high water is a blessing.
    Got to love them, and they taste good too ! :D

12. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Thanks Krazlizek! Now I understand the phrase woop :) However I now have another question for the more clamwise inclined people out there, clams are like a shell right? So how do you get more clams?

13. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Jeez, now this is a big question ! Could I suggest something easier, like how did the universe start ? :spin:
    On a more serious note: sure clams have shells, but on the inside they still are animals. They basically reproduce like us. But, since it would not be easy for them to meet each other in person, they send their sperm and eggs floating in the water (who wants to go for a swim ? :) ). From their union "naked" clams are born (sometimes they swim around freely for some time before settling down). Only at this point they will start buildind up a shell.
    Jeez, this thread is getting a little bit on the serious side. Should it be moved to the AoDA ? :hahaerr: Ok, maybe not...
    Anyway, I hope I answered you question Lazy Bonzo.

14. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

What exactly is a clam?

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

They're what Rallymama just explained. You know, 2 or 3 messages up from here...? :p

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    How much clam can a clamclam clam if a clamclam could clam clam.. :roll:

17. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Clamma Lamma Ding Dong! :lol:
    Or should that have gone in the Random Babble Thread?

18. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Geez, Bel, don't be afraid to come out of your shell and act like a chowderhead.

(ba-doom TISH!)

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK, OK, enough silliness; that's what the random babbling is for.

20. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    :eek: Oh man! I've been chastised by the moderator! :eek: You may have one THIS round...But you are mine in Daggerdale!

*insert maniacal laughter here*

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.