1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Civ IV

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Oxymore, May 30, 2005.

1. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The commercials and trailers for previous versions have usually borne no resemblance to how the in-game action has unfolded so this one will probably be no different.

All I'd be looking for in an updated version would be better AI that doesn't cheat so blatantly, and a system that doesn't place so much emphasis on the mid-game land-grab.

3. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That game looks awesome! And that commercial was hilarious, I loved it when they brought in Sid M. :D

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

The commercial was great fun, I have my doubts about the engine of the game though. It just doesn't look good, not that the other civs looked good, but this one looks bad. I hope the gameplay is still great though.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Pretty much the same: the visual style looked just plain odd and outdated, but guess I could cope with it if the game itself is as good as Alpha Centauri. I also hope that the AI is better and does not cheat AT ALL, plus less dependancy of your military force. In Civ 3 you absolutely had to invest most of your resources to military or else the AI was like: "Haha, what a trashy military! I'll just attack now!" :rolleyes:

This, of course, lead to the fact that I were at war with every nation through the whole history -except when I abused that 'trade = good will and money' trick. It got very bland sooner than I thought.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I just don't think the AI has improved at all since the original Civilisation. I hate they way they always attack your least guarded city, even though you know they can't afford or can't possibly have spied out all your cities to have found that out.

7. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

What AI? :p Still, it's one of the best games ever. I really like Conquests, the historical scenarios are much more fun than a random map game. I can't wait for civ4 though.

Edit: Here's an interview with senior producer Barry Caudill.

[ May 31, 2005, 14:13: Message edited by: Sticker ]

8. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I look forward to it too. Even with all it's faults, cheats and so on the civ games have allways bin fun.

9. TheMageTeclis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hmm I stopped playing Civ 3 becuase it really pissed me off, it was the exact same each time, as soon as you start you just have to build as many cities as possible, you couldn't just build a few and dominate the world, also if your empire coverered a quarter of the globe you would get the same amount of resourses as a civ that was just one city, that kind of sucked.

In regards to the video though, it's really not funny.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.