1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chult guardian in chapter 5

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Dragon3, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I've been trying to beat this rotten son of a gila monster for 2 weeks,and he keeps tearing us up.i bought a disentegrate and a protection from fear scroll in kuldahar,but it wears off too soon to beat him,and disentegrate justs hurts him a little bit.the best i've done is get him badly wounded before he kills us all.please help me beat this creature

[ February 25, 2007, 00:11: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Search function is your friend... No, really, use it.

But here's a short recap anyway.

There's several ways of killing the guardian. One is to summon 6 monsters around the spot where the dragon appears and keep them refreshed when they start to die. Add your strongest melee tanks into the fray as well and if they get hurt, get out of there and get them healed - all the while keeping the beast busy with summons.

The "cheesy" way is to cast Lower Resist a couple of times, cast prayer/recitation/emotion:despair and Malison and follow up with Disintegrate, Finger of Death or even Chromatic Orb for instant kill.

And finally, my favorite: Buff one of your characters to superhuman levels and solo the beast with it. Decent Armor Class (I'm talking 40's or even 50's here, not 30's), good hit bonus and decent damage is all it takes to cut the overgrown lizard into chunks.

3. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Rechet, the "surround the Dragon with summons" tactic doesn't work in the patched version, IIRC. I think that the patch changed the dragon's AI so that it'll teleport away from summons to get at your party. I think that if you want to use a "surround" strategy, you need to include at least one PC to keep the dragon's attention and prevent him from teleporting.

Dragon, aside from doing a search for old dragon'slaying tactics, I'd suggest you give us a thumbnail description of your party.

Bards and paladins are good in this battle for their anti-fear capabilities; bards with the anti-fear song, pallies with their Aura of Courage. It also helps to have your cleric memorize a BUNCH of Remove Fear spells.

The guardian is vulnerable to electrical attacks and pretty much immune to acid and fire. Have your spellcasters cast their best lightning spells (mage: chain lightning; druids: Call Lightning). if your mage happens to have Mordenkainen's Sword, that's a good one.

If you're going to use ranged attacks, use your highest enchantment ammo to get past the dragon's damage resistances.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere on your lowest reflex save character. Dragon will try to attack it in vain if he/she is the closest to the beast. You can get pretty cheap and easy shots this way while dragon is busy. Can you smell the cheese? :shake:

Lower its magic resistance and blast away your lightning spells. Does cold also work? :hmm: I remember my friend giving the finishing blow with a puny ice dagger spell, that was good laugh. :p Disintegrate can only work if you have highest INT possible and greater spell focus in Transmutation, plus then you will still need to lower its saving throws via Doom, Prayer, Chant, Recitation, Malison, Hopelesness etc. If it works, horray for you, there goes down the big bad dragon! :thumb:

If a fighter is hurt, retreat him and cast a quick 'heal'. Rinse and repeat. Do not let anyone get killed!

5. crucis

pure limburger. (I'd insert a smelly smilie here, but there isn't one.)

Silverstar, looking at the dragon's CRE file, yes it does appear that cold works as well. For that matter, it looked like the dragon only really had full resistance against acid (duh). And it's also immune to any weapon +2 enchantment or below.

Absolutely correct! Retreat your heavily wounded PC back to your cleric for healing. And yes, keep your cleric out of melee against the Guardian. he's too important to risk him getting heavily wounded, or worse, panicked and unable to cast any remove fear or healing spells.

And waiting for your medic to come up to the front lines to heal the wounded in place, risks having the wounded tank taking a death blow from the dragon before the cleric heals him. Retreating gets the wounded PC out of claw range.

6. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The houndcollar necklace (sot sure about the name) from the battle of targos usually comes in handy here if you still have it. Put it on your cleric if you're playing without a bard so that you at least get the chance to cast the remove fear spells.

7. crucis

Good point, Mudde. That collar is very useful for this particular battle.

8. nunsbane

nunsbane

One effective method is to set a cluster of Skull Traps before the fight and lead Cheopek into them. If you have a couple of magic users and have saved any ST scrolls you have found or bought, you should have enough skulls to knock Cheopek's HPs low enough that he is easy to deal with. I think that you can set the cluster exactly where Cheopek appears and you would not have to lead him into the cluster.

There is also a strange glitch which you can abuse. Have a single party member approach the platform and place the last stele into place. Pause immediately before the sequence which summons Cheopek begins. While paused command your PC to move to a location off of the platform. Unpause and your PC will move to the designated location while the summoning sequence is taking place. When Cheopek arrives and you regain control of your PC head northeast away from the platform and circle back to the southeast of the platform. For some reason, Cheopek will be teleporting to the northwest part of the platform repeatedly. Move just close enough that you can see and attack Cheopek without him retaliating - he will just sit there teleporting constantly (and going nowhere) while you plug him with bolts, arrows, or bullets. I beat him in HoF with a solo monk using this method, IIRC, it took about 160 shots with my crossbow.

Another way is to summon monsters to your aid, buff yourself and the summons as much as possible and keep your spell casters off of the platform(party formation, summons, and buffs all established before summoning Cheopek). The first spell your casters should cast is Lower Resistance. After lowering Cheopek's MR you can pepper him with spells such as chain lightning or fire arrow. Recently, I played a party with 3 magic users and after lowering Cheopek's MR I used a volley of lowly Magic Missiles to finish him off.

There's a cheesy, a soooper cheesy, and a standard method - choose your level of cheese and off to Dragon's Eye with ye.

9. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31

thanks for all the help.i'll try all of them.he is immune to fire,but i don't think i tried cold.my party is a paladin,fighter,cleric,sorcerer,ranger,and rogue.i have a scroll for mordekain's sword,but it won't work for my sorcerer.i don't know why.i tried some things i was told in the chatroom this afternoon,and got him to almost dead before he killed us all.i wish i had my cleric learn protection from fear.i only have one scroll of it.but thanks to everyone.i'll keep after him
    p.s. what is search function?

10. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The search function is for searching the forum threads for certain keywords, like "guardian".

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The tactic that worked best for me was having one PC distract him while the others cast spells/attacked him from the rear. So I recommend Silverstar's method.

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

It's not neccessary to fight the guardian to go on with the game, returning later when your party is more experienced might be preferable to turning the most epic battle of the game into cheese abuse.

PS: Clerics don't have to learn spells, they get them for free. "Remove Fear" is a level 1 spell they already get at the beginning.

13. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Three sorcs with mirror image and mordy's sword can pretty much roll right through him. When he chases one, the other two beat on him.

First level cleric spell Remove Fear probably helps; never tried it though.

14. crucis

This is my method as well, although I might use 2 tanks, rather than 2. And I would try to use a couple of cannon fodder summons, if for no other reason than to provide the guardian with something else to attack rather than my tanks, thus protecting my tanks.

I also suggest that the characters that are not in melee spread out as much as possible so that they won't all be caught in the same acid breath attack, or be close together if the dragon teleports away from your tanks and close one of your "ranged" PCs.

And like Kmonster stated, Remove Fear is a standard level 1 cleric spell. And for this battle, it pays to have your cleric basically just about fill up all of his level 1 slots with Remove Fear. There really isn't any other level 1 cleric spell that will be of as much value in this battle as Remove Fear.

15. Da Rock Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The problem is that after killing the guardian, you get a nice little acid resistance bonus. Characters within ORS do NOT get it.

So, instead of wasting a few spells on monster summoning as "cannon fodder", why not summon, then cast ORS on this creature instead? :D
    (I smell Stilton)

16. crucis

Just make sure that it's a summons with a very long duration. It would stink for the summons to expire befire the ORS. The best choice would probably be an Animate Dead monster, given their very long duration.

That said, this tactic is rather cheesey. ;)

17. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31

i did it!!!!thanks to everyone who helped me.it really helped to cast outiluke's sphere on my lowest person.then i put my houndtooth collar(i forgot it's name,too) on my fighter instead of my paladinmy fighter has a great axe+4,and he kept getting panic and couldn't use it.with the collar,he could hack away.then i kept my sorcerer throwing lightning at him.thank you all very much

18. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Congratulations! That was one mean battle! :)

19. kylan271 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I had +5 enchanted arrows and still no effects. The dragon has 444hp!!! I got wow 5600xp for it...lol. Killed by lower resistance then disintegrate from 12 Wizard,after many reloads. Yes it teleports!!!! The "Houndstooth Collar" from Targos pallisade battle is a life saver here,as is a +3 blinking long sword for my paladin in Chap 5,Quest reward I think....???

Where are the Dragon CRE files???

20. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

5600 exp for the Guardian? :-o

You must have had an abnormally low level for this battle. I recall never getting more than 1000 exp for this mofo. But hey, I'm a powergamer. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.