1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chrono Trigger

Discussion in 'Playground' started by AlexGK, Feb 21, 2003.

1. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Just finished it and can't get enough of it:)Does somebody know if there is a sequel or something close to it?No Final Fantasy of any kind hehe:)Any simular game is appreciated...

Thanks

[ February 21, 2003, 13:56: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Been playing on Snes9x, eh? Good game, but as far as I know, it has no "official" sequel, but 'Chrono Cross' could be it (I´m not sure). The bad thing is: it´s made for PSX and the game is hard to come by...

Maybe e-Bay...

[ February 21, 2003, 14:10: Message edited by: Virne ]

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Depends on which Chrono Trigger you finished. There's the "Final Fantasy Chronicles" (contains Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger) for PS1, which has video sequences and some small added features etc. It also contains the same + mode as the SNES CT does (you should try that if you haven't yet). Also, depending on how much you discover in the game, it will keep track and record all 12/13 (don't remember which) different endings, enemy statistics, soundtrack, and some such.

Then, there is the official sequel to Chrono Trigger for PS1, called Chrono Cross. It isn't as good as Chrono Trigger was, but if you liked the first one then this one is definitely worth playing. I played it through 2 times in a row. Only thing wrong with that game is that there are some 50+ different characters which is way too much to create any depth in them. And then the story, although largely same, is not quite as emotionally strong and involving as it is in CT. Otherwise, there are some awesome musics in it, and the graphics are certainly high-end.

4. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

@Virne all the way man,
    what can I do when all my favorite games over the last year are gone crap?Heroes IV, NWN, Unreal 2003, Age of Mythology, Warcraft was in the middle, only IWD2 is good.Simly bored to death I was.And a frend of mine said "ok then lets try something old".But I kindda dislike Final Fantasy series and got crashed on Crono Trigger heheh:)Game of the Year for me I guess:)Found something here Xenogears must try it too:)
    Heard about Chrono Cross... has it any english version at all?

PS:@Foradasthar mode +???? What is it?
    PS2:got it but what use of it?New Game with all the advanced stuff?

[ February 21, 2003, 14:40: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

I bought Chrono Cross through ebay with a friend of mine some years back. But I seem to remember hearing something about it being quite rare as well. So I don't know what chances there are for you to find one.

Anyway, the + mode is available once you finish all the quests in the end. Talk to the Guru of Time, if he still has something to say about something unfinished then you must finish it first. When you've finally done everything to make him happy and silent, then you've still got to finish the game by going through the Dark Omen and beating the Queen. I'm sure you'll find the quests and how to finish them with google.

The quests I remember are: ***SPOIL***

Save the forest in y600 (rather, the forest will be saved *for* y1000, but to you will do this in y600). To do, you must enter the whirlpool in the sand at the southern continent and beat the boss there. After that you have to enter the house beside the whirlpool with Robo in your group.

Also, if you talk to Toma the adventurer here and there, you should receive information about the whereabouts of the RainbowShell. This place is in the western part of y600 on an island. There you will see a castle that is in ruins. You must alternately speak with some carpenters in a building on the same island and then go to the castle to whack the ghosts so the carpenters can go on with their renovations. Once you finish this one, one of your party members will experience a familiar from their past.

To help Marle's father, you must buy some jerky from the southern continent houses of either y1000 or y600 and then talk to the King. After that I'm not sure what you were supposed to do, but time should lead you to the conclusion.

In 2300, you're supposed to enter the (new?) robot factory and destroy it.

END OF ***SPOIL***

After all this, do the Dark Omen as I said, and you should get the + mode. What the + mode is, is something very nice. It will allow you to restart the game right from the beginning with all plot-sensitive items removed. Otherwise, all of your characters will have all of their hard earned techniques, spells and items on them. Also, there's some extra that you can now do, such as for example enter the fight against Lavos at any time through the teleportation machine in Leene's Square.

I enjoyed it when I first discovered the + mode and played to the waterpalace. You know, where Lavos is supposed to rise and kill Chrono? Well, it didn't quite happen this time.. :)

6. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Hehe, thanks!
    I'll definetly try the + mode but can't you beat Lavos at Oceans Place at normal mode?All you have to do is little leveling up before?Or not?Haven't tryed this one, I used to think this battle is a setup and can't be won...

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

According to the info I received, you're encouraged to try and defeat Lavos only at your second + game. When I beat him with my first, I did notice that it wasn't easy. And I had every little skill and all of the strongest items you can get save plot items such as mastersword etc. So unless you were thinking of leveling up for around 50-100 hours purely fighting against enemies, I don't think it's anywhere near possible to beat him on the first go.

Edit: It's worth to know that Lavos there isn't the weak Lavos you'll battle in the end. He's actually tough, even for an experienced party.

[ February 21, 2003, 15:57: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

8. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I just saw Chrono Trigger for the SNES go for £90 on EBAY UK!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

9. Greldorn Banned

I thought that Chrono Trigger was fun as hell, too, so I started downloading other similar games and got a hold of Seiken Densetsu 3, wich is the follow-up game to Secret of Mana. And I have to say that I think that the Secret of Mana series was better with Super Nintendo than Final Fantasy ever was. But when ff came to playstation, it ruled. ff7 is my favourite game ever..
    Well, what I originally wanted to say was; Get Seiken Densetsu 3.

10. The_Darkness Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] i want the game bahamut but all i find is in japanese someone tell me were i can find it in english
    sorry for my english..... :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.