1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chromatic Orb

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ulfgar Prigor, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Ulfgar Prigor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My Protagonist Invoker has reached the point where his Chromatic Orb spell turns the target to stone if the save is failed.

My experience thus far has been that you must continue to attack the stone target until it is dead, but once dead it doesn't leave any items to be recovered.

This actually is something of a problem if the target has the potential to be carrying something important - a magic item or something needed for a quest.

Is there some way around this?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't use Chromatic Orb.

Spells which turn your opponent to stone or disintegrate them also do bad things to the items they carry. Learn to kill them in a more item-friendly way.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Doesn't Chromatic orb just kill (without disintegration) the target when the caster is lvl 11 or higher?

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    At either 11th or 12th. Which is why Aerie can be so deadly with her Chromatic Doom sequence.

5. saros Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Chromatic orb has Vorpal effect on wizard level 12 or higher.

If you want to use the Stoning effect of the Orb, as well as Disintegrate, FtS, Prismatic Spray or other similar spells/effects, you may turn off the 'Gore' button in the Game options menu. This way, no matter how you kill your enemies, you'll not lose any items.

If you freeze an enemy, there is also a good chance to lose most, if not all valuable items.

6. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Or, you could have a stone to flesh scroll or spell somewhere...A specific ring comes into mind...

When the enemies are petrified, they're dead. No need to shatter the nice statue. If you want the items the enemy carries, stone to flesh brings them back to life, but to one hit point. And when you kill them again, you get the XP again. :D

7. Ulfgar Prigor Gems: 2/31

They may be dead under AD&D rules, but I don't think the computer recognizes them as such.

For example, I hit the slaver cleric in the slums with a Chromatic Orb, turning him to stone. The red circle remained beneath the cleric even after the spell took effect. I then cleaned up the rest of the bad guys via more conventional means. Even after the all of the others were dead, the red circle remained. The computer also refused to let me save my game at that point. Anomen then walked over and gave him one whack with the Flail of Ages. The red circle disappeared, and I was able to save.

I didn't notice when (or if) experience points were awarded.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Interesting, I don't think that worked in BG1, so I'll have to try that. I lose the cool special effects, but get to keep the loot. Cool. Cone of Cold, you just got put back on my spell picks. Time to break out those Wands of Frost.

9. Ulfgar Prigor Gems: 2/31

Just wanted to chime back in and report that I actually discovered a way around this problem. I noticed that one of my NPCs (Aerie) has a magic device that casts Stone to Flesh once per day.

Once the battle is over, the petrified character is surrounded by melee warriors (Minsc, Sir Anomen). Aerie uses the device, and once the petrification is reversed, the first blow kills the enemy character. The useful items that enemy was carrying can thus be recovered.

This came in very handy when that crazy bunch of Harpers attacked my party. That was a tough battle - really depleted my supply of Potions of Extra Healing.

10. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

You can tweak yourself out of this.

11. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Isnt that also why the Neutron Bomb was invented?

12. Gholam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Pretty evil turning someone into stone and then curing him to kill him just a few seconds later. Why would Anomen, Minsc or Aerie do that?

13. Ulfgar Prigor Gems: 2/31

None of them have ever complained. :D

14. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I loved the Avenger I played with because he had so many spell slots and almost all of them were chromatic orb. Basically all I did was use it over and over (this was my first time playing, so I didn't really think through using doom or greater malison).

15. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

That spell makes Avengers playable. Also entangle with web can really mess up the bad guys.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.