1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Choppy performance

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by zazu, Aug 21, 2002.

1. zazu Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Well, I have a Duron 750, Riva TNT 32mb and 256 RAM.

The game is choppy even with all options off, all right.

So I'm planning to modify the game directly, so the game can be as nice as the others.(Buldur gates series, Icewind dale)

Do you all have any tips on modifying the game of my computer?

One thing I'm quite interested is that when I open the configuration menu for NWN, there's a few thing I like to modify but don't know what to do, such as, this lines:

Display : 32 bit graphics,
    full window : 1

Can I change the game to windowed mode? And how the heck I'm going to reduce the colour to 16 bit? It's the main reason slowing my computer down.
    Any other lines I can change, or is there any hacking software there to modify the thing?

Please software changes, not changing hardware.

Thanks to anyone can help.

Ranger, 9, Cleric, 4, Fighter, 1.
    Linu.(I wonder I can marry her like Buldur Gates2: Throne of Ball or not)

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Admittedly, about the only thing I can tell you that will improve your performance is to get rid of that video card. Changing it to windowed mode will not help, and the game won't run properly in 16-bit color. I do not support any third party software out there for this sort of thing, as often it does more harm than good.

If you really want to try reducing the color settings, go into your control panels and display. Honestly, though, about the only recommendation I can give you that will work is to get a new video card and increase your RAM.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, there is one other solution... playing at 800x600. The lower the resolution, the faster it'll run.

4. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

:eek: You play at higher than 800x600?!

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    1024x768 for me... Once you get used to that, there's no going back. (For NWN anyway.)

6. Errol Gems: 23/31

M'kay....I have an 800mhz Athlon, and meet all the sys.req, with a Voodo 6 Graphics Card. I run it in 800x600 and It chops up during encounters, spells, and large dialogue.
    All my graphic options are turned right down.
    WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Must be that Voodoo card; I don't think they're supported.

I run in 1024x768 as well and it works flawlessly with everything turned up to the max. But I have a 1.8Ghz CPU and a Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4400 based card,

8. Taluntain

Media:
    You're lucky you can get it to work on a Voodoo at all, it's not officially supported. Buy a GeForce, those have a future ahead of them, unlike Voodoo.

9. Errol Gems: 23/31

How much would a good GeForce go for? Or do I just need a new PC?

10. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

i THINK (not sure exactly) that a GeForce4 goes for about 250-300 australian dollars. i THINK...

:bang: !!!

11. Taluntain

Media:
    You should get a GeForce 2 for roughly $50. If you can afford it, go for 3 or 4, but even 2 should be enough. (Works for me...)

12. Errol Gems: 23/31

Still a bit much... i've got £40 a the moment, and I doubt that'll be able to pay for it.
    *sigh*
    *Gopher sticks with his choppy graphics.

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

40 pounds is more than $50. That should be able to get one I would think.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.