1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Choosing A Ranger's Animal Companion

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Chas, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I am playing NWN for the first time using the pre-made ranger. Now I have the ability to choose an animal companion. But I do not see any info on why one critter is preferable over another. Why not choose the most poweful Dire Wolf? There must be some downside to choosing the more powerful ones. So how do I choose?

[ October 08, 2005, 01:08: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Well, they all have slightly different abilities. Lots of the weaker creatures are good for scouting, but thats probably more handy for a druid than for a ranger. Useful alternatives to the admittedly beefy dire wolf are as follows:

Panther - Nice for an up-front fighter character such as your ranger (most likely) is, as he is a rogue and as such gets a sneak attack when fighting enemies that you have already engaged. Pretty tough, although not as hard as the dire wolf or bear.

Bear - Big and beefy, so nice if your ranger is an archer type and want something to hide against. Does less damage than the wolf, but is tougher.

Spider - Well, I like him/her. Useful in the same role as the panther, flanking enemies that you are already attacking. Does poison damage (which can be nice as in NWN it drains strength) instead of sneak attack and is somewhat more frail than the panther.

Those are the ones I'd suggest. The animal companion is just gravy, to be honest. Unless you've built the character up with a strategy in mind where the animal is vital (and you probably havent, having only just started with the game) just go with what you think looks most fun.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'd choose the one you like the look of the most. I think it's an RP rather than powergame choice. Choose the one you think you ranger character would most likely hang out with.

4. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I play a ranger and i have chosen dire wolf as a companion.
    Now to tell you the truth i don't really use her (i decided to name her kika) ;) ) lately ( i am in chapter 3 middle). That is because she is too vulerable to heavy damage (from elementals especially). But in chapter 2 and through luskan she has been a great help and i can tell you a couple of times she saved my ass.
    I think dire wolf is a good choice. Allthough now i am thinking in changing my companion to a panther, just to see the difference.
    My ranger is all-aroound player, meaning that he is good with bow (18 DEX) and fairly good with melee combat too ( i use two weapon style a home made katana ;) and a +4 longsword with special abilities on it).
    Just my experiences if they help.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I like the dire rat and the badger.

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I (almost) always go with Giant Spider - the effect of the poison can be most impressive, but Web can harm as well as hurt (at least, until you get some free action kit). Mainly it's an RP choice, not a powergamey one, tho. Panther also rocks, because of the sneak attack damage; ideal if your ranger can tank effectively. Both of these are quite fragile, though (the spider especially), so probably not suitable for an Archer character. They should look to either Dire Wolf or Bear for the best tank. Plain wolves don't look to have anything over their Dire brethren, but they seem to level-up quicker (the rate is subtly different for all the different companions, as an aid to balance) and consequently may have more attacks/round at certain stages of the game.

And fear the dire badger! Arguably the angriest creature in the game...

7. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I always choose the Bear

8. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think a Ranger is a perfect char, combined with Rogue. And for that build the panter is ideal. Because if you and your pet are attacking the same enemy one of you will ALWAYS do sneak attacks.

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Or you can position yourself so as you're attacking each other's enemies - then you BOTH do sneak attacks! ;)

10. Orichifunk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I absolutely love the panther and his sneak attack, it has saved me countless times.

11. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Thanks for all the advise. I did not know that you get to re-choose the companion every level. I thought it was a one time decision. I have the halfling thief as my henchman from the very beginning. I chose the dire wolf the first time then chose the panther the next two times I leveled up.(up to level 9 now, starting chapter 2 on the North road) I usually do melee fighting. So both the henchman and the panther can do sneak attacks. Unless I have some slow moving targets like the zombies in chapter two. Then I have everyone stay in position while I plink away with my bow. I like how the panther moves compared to the wolf. It looks way more 'cool'. I also chose summoning as my spell so I can have a dire badger too. It also helps the henchman and the panther get in sneak attacks.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The (dire) boar can also be one hell of a tank. My last ranger had a (dire) boar as companion, and it was very capable in combat. It doesen't equal the Dire Wolf, but it's a good choice too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.