1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Choosing a Pratchett book

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by BogiTheWaverer, Mar 20, 2001.

1. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I have to confess that i never read any Pratchett book so far *shame on me* but i will efface this dark point. I'm asking you what book is best for a Pratchett newbie?

2. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The first one, plain and simple.

3. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The first one isn't always the first you should read, but there are ones that should be read sequentially. um I can't remember all of them so you'd probably be better reading the lot in sequence. The ones in series are Rincewind, the watch, the witches and death.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] On this subject, I'll be opening a brand new Terry Pratchett book section at Sorcerer's Place this weekend. Wait till then and you'll have a ton of his stuff to browse through.

Anyway, I'd recommend Pyramids as the first book to read. No special reason, just because it was the first one I read and I loved it. It's also cool to read the 5th or so and then go back and read the first 4 books and see how much his writing has improved since then.

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

At the risk of tempting fireballs from our great sorcerer, Pyramids!!!!! Nooooo, it's one of the worst (apart from the start at the Assassins Guild). Anyway, what that demonstrates though is, like most things, it's each to their own. Everyone seems to have a different 'favourite Pratchett book' and equally different least favourite. I enjoy the Witches and the Guards books the most, but many others prefer the Wizards or Death. A good idea might be to read one that relates to a subject you like or know a lot about. In that way you'll appreciate some of the more subtle jokes and ironies. Most of the books carry a theme but some are more focused. For example:

D&D- all of them but especially the first two
    Equal Opportunities- Equal Rites
    McBeth- Wyrd Sisters
    Movies- Moving Pictures
    Religion- Small Gods
    Music- Soul Music
    Revolution- Interesting Times
    Opera- Maskerade
    Racism- Feet of Clay
    Christmas- Hogfather
    Politics- Jingo
    Journalism - The Truth

Going back to what was said earlier about the themes that can be read in order (although they are all self contained books) you have:

Death - Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music & Hogfather.
    Witches - Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords & Ladies, Maskerade & Carpe Jugulum.
    Guards - Guards Guards, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo & the fifth Elephant.
    Rincewind the Wizzard (sic) - Colour of Magic, Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Eric, Interesting Times and the Last Continent.

As to my favourites - probably Guards Guards and Wyrd Sisters.

PS has anyone seen the professional theatre version of Guards Gurads? It's fantastic.

6. Duskai Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] discworld is all well and good, but why not try 'good omens', the lighter side of armageddon...not an orc in sight but great non the less...if you are reading discworld, i recommend 'men at arms', the first one i bought, i still my favourite.

(wishes she could remember where she left her capitals letters)

7. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31

mmhhh? let's wait for the book section...

-->Lord Bane
    I think it's not that simple. Imagine somebody hasn't read Tolkien so far and he starts with the Little Hobbit. Maybe he never will read LOTR because he doesn't like children books....

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    *returning the lost treasure of capital to duskai*

8. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31

Agreed Bogi, but in this case I think you'd better read the first novel before the others, since that one's the best introduction to the Discworld (if you want to read that series of course. If not you can always follow Lady Duskai's suggestion and try Good Omens for example).

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    To each his own I guess. I've started to tire from all the witches books...

I think that if you start at the first book and end at the last one you'll be much better off than taking any advice here. ;)

10. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] :confused: And what exactly was my advice then, Tal ? :confused:

;)

11. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

And so... It all comes full circle... :D

12. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] Yep, everything starts and ends with me :D

13. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] I noticed that no one actually said this yet so I'l say it now. The first book in the series is The Colour of Magic.

It's a good starter and once you've read that one and The Light Fantastic you should pretty much understand the Discworld so you can go almost anywhere from there, although I'd recommend trying to read the mini-series in order.
    ie Rincewind, The City Watch (Vimes), The Witches. Otherwise you could probably just pick and choose.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes, yes, geez, I'm on it! Hopefully, I'll have the Pratchett section up in the next 24 hours or sooner.
    Here, you'll be able to find it at http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index.php when I put it online.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  15. Taluntain

Media:
    Damn. It seems I won't be able to post the whole update today (the BG2 gallery is taking ages to make) so I upped only the Pratchett section in case anyone's too desperate to wait till the official update. Jordan section won't work till tomorrow, so don't bother. But the whole Pratchett section is here : http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_pratchett.php

Comments welcome. ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  16. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

THE BEST pratchett book is Interesting Times, once you read that you'll be hooked and you'll want to read more.

17. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I prefer the guards series myself. It's really funny how Vimes deals with all the assassin's trying to kill him, and I love the conversations between Vimes and Lord Vetinari. They crack me up every time.

18. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Yesterday i started reading The Colour of Magic and finished it within 5 hours. It's totally my kind of humor and crude fantasies. Now i'm just back from the bookshop with the next 3 books. :)

[This message has been edited by BogiTheWaverer (edited March 27, 2001).]

19. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Good Lord, I could NEVER justify buying new, a book that I could finish so quickly. Especially, since if I enjoy it, I'll simply *have* to read them all! Ah well, if I ever find another used book store around... *sniffle* They've all gone.. *sob*

20. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31

Buy the omnibi then! Barely $12 for 500 pages of pure reading-delight :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.