1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chirra's Tale of the Nerevarine

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Nakia, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Chirra’s Tale of the Nerevarine

Five persons where gathered on a Balmora rooftop, two Khajiits, a Bosner, Dunmer and an Altmer, Bolrin, the Bosner, nudged Estird. "Ask her, please."

Estird, the outspoken Altmer, spoke up freely, “Chirra didn’t you travel with the Nerevarine? What was he like? Tell us please.”

Chirra tapped a claw on the table, took a sip of ale while she eyed her companions. “He wasn’t the Nerevarine when I traveled with him. When I met him he had not long been in Vvardenfell. But later I met him briefly and he told me his story.”

“Oh, tell us. Please tell us. So many stories we have heard but the truth is hard to know.” Chirra’s companions leaned forward eagerly waiting to hear what she had to say.

“Ayee, young ones, it is always hard to know the truth. Even I can only tell you what I saw, heard and thought. Is it the truth? Only the gods know.” Chirra leaned back staring off into the distance. The group sat on a roof top in Balmora. The night was mild with bright stars shinning in the sky. The city was peaceful and they could hear the guards calling out below.

“I was a Telvanni slave, born here in Vvardenfell and grew up in slavery. I have never seen Elsweyr, only heard stories. He who was to be Nerevarine freed me as he freed many others. He led us through the wilderness, fought the creatures of the Ashlands and taught us how to survive. We worshipped him and would have gladly laid down our lives for him yet he was a lonely person. He told a little of how he came to Vvardenfell.”

She sat in silence for a moment then roused herself. “This is what he told us. The scene is etched in my memory. The darkness, the ash blowing around us, the camp fire flickering in the wind.”

I was born into poverty and never knew who my father was. As a child I haunted the Waterfront of the Imperial City, learning the ways to survive when no one cared or wanted you. But one day my luck ran out and a guard caught me stealing bread and hauled me off to the prison. For weeks I rotted there wondering if I would ever see the light again. Sentences were harsh for those of us at the bottom of the social order.

Finally one day a prison guard came for me and I was led to a ship and placed in a hold with other prisoners. No explanation was given and we were all bewildered and frightened. Someone cried out to the guards asking what was happening, where we were going. A guard turned and sneered at us with an ugly laugh he answered, “To Vvardenfell, you lucky sots.” He went out laughing cruelly.

“Vvardenfell?” I cried, “Is not that the land that even the dark elves avoided? A land of monsters where nothing grows but rock and darkness?”

Only silence answered me. The trip seemed to go forever. The crossing was rough and the hold soon stank from our vomit. How we survived only the gods know but survive we did. After what seemed a lifetime the ship came to rest and we were taken on deck. The air was hot and humid and we looked out on a worn and dreary village. What we could see of the land looked swampy and filled with lush vegetation. The Argonians among us cheered up a little but the rest of us just stared bleakly.

We were ushered one by one into a room where an official asked us questions, gave us some papers and sent us to another room and another official. When my turn came he gave me some money, a sealed package and a sheet of paper. “You are to report to Caius Cosades in Balmora and give him the package. Instruction as to how to find him are on the sheet. Move along I don’t have time for questions.”

I walked out the door into the village. My eye caught a glint on the ground and I picked up a ring. Perhaps it was worth something and I could sell it. The street, if you could call it that, was filled with people, all the citizens of Cyrodiil seemed to be represented here. A wood elf bumped into me. “Oh, sorry. I was trying to find a ring I lost. I think those bloody guards stole it. You haven’t seen a ring have you? A silver ring, not worth much but valuable to me.”

I showed him the ring and he grabbed it. “Thank you, thank you. So good of you to return it. I’ll tell the merchant you helped me and he’ll give you a good deal. There is only one here. This is Seyda Neen a way station for ‘immigrants’ to Vvardenfell and a Coast Guard station. Nothing much here. They turn you loose here and don’t much care if you survive or not. There’s an abandoned house near the silt-strider where you can crash.” He waved in the direction of a wooden bridge.

“Heh, what’s a silt-strider? How we get around on land here unless we walk. It’s a big bug, very big bug that can carry folks around. You’ll see.”

When he stopped for breath I smiled and nodded thanking him for the advice but silently wishing a little money had been added. Having only my filthy prison clothes and a rusty dagger I had found I took him up on the introduction to the merchant.

The merchant was friendly and I was able to get some simple but clean clothes and a decent iron sword with coins left over. The Bosner took me to the house were I changed. I saw the silt-strider he had told me about. It was weird, really weird but I found out it would take me to Balmora and a few other places. I decided to look around Seyda Neen and talk to people. This land was so strange I wanted to know what I had gotten into.

"Ha, I've talked myself dry and am tired. It's late time for bed." Chirra rose and headed to the trap door down. "Oh, Chirra, please don't stop." "Another night, kits. Time to rest."

[ October 19, 2007, 01:10: Message edited by: Nakia ]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  2. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I can't believe your character actually said "lol" XD

I can only see a couple of things I would change:

Repetition of the word "night" there kinda jumped out. I'd just reword that sentence.

The second, why on earth does the prisoner have money? That was a bit of a no-brainer for me, although it may have been explained elsewhere in the story, so don't worry about it too much.

On the whole though, very well written and beautiful descriptive words, I felt very drawn into this world, and would sit and read a whole book of it if you were inclined to write one :D

Nakia likes this.
  3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :lol: Uri, I changed that lol and will reword the sentance. Thanks very much. :)

The money thing. I did mention that some money was given when he was released. Easy to miss but the prisoners get something around 80 gold pieces.

4. Nakia

Media:
    Another night Chirra continues the Nerevarine’s story.

Above the merchant I found a bar and got to talking to the patrons. Picked up some local gossip. Nothing much going on there but a tax collector was missing. Didn’t seem to bother anyone. Not much liked I gathered. One guy wanted me to find out where the wood elf, Fargoth, hid his money. Stealing is what landed me in Vvardenfell so I decided to think about this before agreeing. The barmaid turned out to be a scout and got my head spinning with all the information about the geography of Vvardenfell. Deciding to head back to the house I ran into a dark elf lady. She pulled back and made a nasty comment about outlanders.

After a few hours rest I was up and about looking around. Killed a few mudcrabs but the water was full of slaughterfish so I stayed out of it. Nasty creatures. At least I could eat the mudcrab meat. Food here was different from what I was used to. I needed to find someone to teach me about the local plants and animals so I hunted up that scout-barmaid named Elone. She’s a Redguard like me and not bad looking. Friendly gal with a twinkle in her eye as if she knows something I should know. I asked her about this Caius Cosades guy but she just smiled and shrugged.

The merchant, Arrille, said he’d pay me to collect some of the plants so I donned the prison clothes and searched the swamps. Luck favored me as I ran across a body with 200 drakes, the coin of Vvardenfell, on it. Since there was a list of taxes collected or to be collected I figured it was the missing tax collector. I stripped the body down and hauled it into the water. Maybe the slaughterfish and mudcrabs would like it better than the town folk did.

So with the money I got from Arrille and the 200 drakes I felt pretty comfortable. I was able to talk Arrille into selling me a cheap leather cuirass. He also threw in a couple of scrolls he said would come in handy.

So now I had to decide what to do. Go to Balmora and look up this Cosades or explore some more. Wandering around near the silt-strider I ran across a cave. Now caves can be interesting places but also dangerous so I carefully snuck in and the first thing I saw is a dark-elf looking none too friendly. I got the first blow in and took her out without much damage to myself. Further on was another one. Got that one and moved on. Then came trouble, a dark-elf mage saw me and started tossing spells. I got back to the first cavern and hid behind a rock. Stupid guy came racing out and never knew what hit him. Checked his body and found a key. I headed back to the big cavern where the mage had been and found a lot of crates filled with all kind of goodies. Went up a ladder to a locked gate where I could see a Khajiit and two Argonians. They were slaves and wanted me to free them. Fine with me. Only thing lower than a Waterfront bastard is a slave. After freeing them they wanted me to guide them to a safe house.

“Safe house, what’s that?” They seemed pretty vague about it and I explained that I was new to Vvardenfell and couldn’t help them but I’d share the loot in the crates with them. One seemed to think there was a safe house in Pelagiad. Elone had told me about this town so I was able to explain where it was. They collected some weapons and loot and headed off and I headed back to Seyda Neen to sell off what I had.

With coin in my pocket I took the silt-strider to Balmora to find out what this character Cosades had to say. The silt-strider was suprisingly comfortable and I arrived in Balmora rested and raring to go.

[ October 21, 2007, 06:20: Message edited by: Nakia ]

5. Nakia

Media:
    Chirra’s Tale of the Nerevarine – continued

The evening was pleasantly warm as Chirra’s little group gathered on the roof top. The light from the two moons cast eerie shadows across Balmora causing the youngest to shiver delightedly.

“Chirra it is good to hear the Nerevarine’s story in his own words but what was he like? Was he not an odd person to become such a hero? Such a lowly birth and a thief also. Doesn’t sound like a hero type to me.” The kits shot questions at Chirra like tiny arrows. She laughed and growled fondly. “Ah, the gods choose as they please. Who knows how and why one is chosen and another not? Just as our forms are influenced at birth by the stars so is our fate.”

“What? We have no choice? We are fated to become heroes or criminals or merchants no matter what we want?”

“I am not a savant or philosopher to answer those questions but I know we always have choices. Sometimes though it seems as if we are pushed in certain directions. He-who-was-to-be-Nerevarine had choices but some things were chosen for him. He did not choose to come to Vvardenfell but what happened after was because of choices he made. As I said before he was a quiet man. I believe I was the closest thing he had to a friend. It was because of him I chose to go to Cyrodiil and eventually became a Blade. He had little use for the rich and powerful but was always willing to help the poor and wretched. He did what he had to do to survive and I think he became fascinated with the lore of the Nerevarine. Let me tell you of his meeting with Caius Cosades.”

From the platform of the silt-strider I could look over Balmora. It was a pleasant looking place though much smaller than the Imperial City. But what city could compare with the center of the Imperial Empire?

I asked the attendant of the silt-strider where the South Wall Cornerclub was. He pointed across the river that ran through the center of Balmora and gave me directions. He was also more than willing to tell about Balmora, who, where, what. The denizens of Vvardenfell seemed more than willing to talk, giving advice and information. It was hard to shut them up without being rude.

I headed to the South Wall which I had learned was also the headquarters of the local Thieves den. Arriving there I found Bacola Closcius and got directions to Caius Cosades. Thankfully it was not far.

I was expecting another Imperial Official but I got a shock when the door opened. There stood a half naked man looking like a Waterfront reject. He grumpily asked me what I wanted.

“”Report to me? A package? Well, give it to me? Don’t stand there come in. Sit down.”

I stepped into a small, messy room and sat down on the one unbroken chair while he sat on the bed. He ripped the package open and started to read then he looked at me with a frown and shook his head. I sat there wondering what I had been sent to. I was used to the dregs of mortality but had hoped for something better which was silly. What chance did a waterfront rat have in this world? Finally Cosades stopped reading.

“It seems you have been assigned to me. That is if you choose to follow my orders. Well?”

I stared at him a moment then replied, “What is this all about? Who are you? What is expected of me? I can’t make a choice without knowledge.”

“Blasted officials, can’t tell their right hand what the left is doing. Secrecy, everything needs to be hush-hush. I’m the head of the Blades here in Vvardenfell. You do know who the Blades are?”

“Yes, they are the spies of the Emperor but that is all I know.”

“Right and you are as green as grass should be. You’ll need to get some training and experience before I send you out. Get some decent equipment and a cover. Join a guild, do some easy free-lance jobs. That sort of thing.”

“Why should I join the Blades? Why should I help the Emperor?”

“Why not? You can’t leave Vvardenfell. You’re stuck here. Joining the Blades gets you some money, cheap training and a place to sleep. If you are successful maybe even advancement and eventually out of this desolate pit.”

I thought for a moment, “Alright, I’ll try it. What guilds are here?”

He told about the Fighter, Mage and Thieves guilds then started talking about the Great Houses and the Camonna Tong. I waved him silent. My brain just couldn’t take anymore. He gave me 200 drakes and a list of Blade Trainers, said I could sleep in a room upstairs or even in his bed if he wasn’t in it.

I thanked him, checked the room upstairs. It was better than his and I could leave stuff there safely. My next stop was the South Wall and someone named Sugar-Lips Habasi. Maybe the Mage Guild or the Fighters Guild would have been smarter but I was used to thieves and who ever learned anything by being smart.

[ October 21, 2007, 06:33: Message edited by: Nakia ]

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Some quick grammatical things (in bold) on the paragraph before the divider.
    Aside from that, it's fairly good. You flesh out the "conversations" of Morrowind well, and it looks like you're learning to keep the simple descriptions of quests down to a minimum. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Nakia likes this.
  7. Nakia

Media:
    Thanks Felinoid. :) I need an editor. Would you believe I once taught grade school English?

8. Nakia

Media:
    Continued:

It was raining so the group had gathered in a back area of the South Wall CornerClub. Actually it was a small cave lit with smoky, flickering torches and a few candles. Chirra stood at a railing and looked down into a chasm through which flowed one of the many underground streams of Vvardenfell.

“I wonder if someday Vvardenfell will break into a thousand small islands. Argonians should feel at home here. Even in the Ashlands you can find caves that reach down to the water. Perhaps Vvardenfell simply floats on the sea and someday will simply drift away. Ah, I fantasize.”

She turned and joined the others lounging comfortably on pillows. “But this is a good place to tell of the meeting with Sugar-Lips. For simplicity I will call He-who-was-to-be-Nerevarine Hal. His name is not important. Are you ready for me to begin?” The others eagerly assented.

At the South Wall I was directed to Sugar-Lips Habasi, a Khajiit who was unable to stay still. She looked me over and asked a few questions. At that time I had a hard time reading the Khajiit expressions so couldn’t tell if she approved or disapproved but she agreed to try me out and immediately gave me a job. Now thieves business is no one Else's business so I won’t go into any details. Suffice it to say that I completed the job to her satisfaction and found myself accepted into the Guild with its perks.

Only one job might be of interest because it led to other contacts. Sugar-Lips wanted me to retrieve something from one of the Hlaalu Houses. Slipping into it one night I soon found the item she desired. The house had the feeling of being unoccupied. One room was locked and I skipped it going downstairs. Part way down I stopped short. I could see a body lying at the foot of the stairs and from the smell I knew it had been there several days.

I was headed back up the stairs when I heard a faint sound from the locked room. With sword in one hand I unlocked the door and pulled it open ready for anything except what I saw. A middle aged dark-elf cowered in a corner. Begging me not to kill her she pushed herself into a corner as if she would dissolve into the wall.

“Here now, I’m not out to kill you. Take it easy.” I poured on the charm and she calmed a bit. I asked what had happened and she told me someone had killed her master. She had seen the killing but not been seen and had hidden in her room afraid to come out and report to the guards.

I was able to persuade her to describe the culprit in great detail. She even knew who he was and this was why she was so frightened. He was a dark elf or Dunmer, a member of the Camonna Tong who hung out at the Council Club. The murdered man was a member of House Hlaalu. By this time I had learned a bit of Vvardenfell politics so decided to take a chance on reporting the killing to Nileno Dorvayn, one of the bosses of the Balmora House.

She listened to my tale, frowned, looked about to say something then shrugged. She was thoughtful for a moment then said, “This killing needs to be avenged. If you could manage it House Hlaalu would be most grateful.” I told her I would see what I could do. It certainly wouldn’t hurt to have House Hlaalu indebted to me.

The killer, Thanelen Velas, was a big, brawny guy who looked like he knew how to use that axe he carried. Camonna Tong hated outlanders and only accepted Dunmer who were native born dark elves. His comrades would have been just as happy to kill me as look at me. Happier in fact. So it took me awhile to dispose of him as I had to follow him around until he was alone but one night I caught him in a dark alley and managed to sneak attack him. House Hlaalu was 1000 drakes grateful plus asking me to join them. Well worth the time and effort.

So now I was a member of the Thieves Guild and House Hlaalu. Cosades was very pleased about the House Hlaalu and with the experience and training I had gotten he thought I was ready for a Blades’ assignment

[ October 24, 2007, 14:29: Message edited by: Nakia ]

9. Urithrand

Media:
    Your last post on the 18th is a little different to the others, I have to say. It seems kind of rushed, as if you were tired when you wrote that bit.

Also, how disappointing that you just skipped over this bit!

And also; LOL!

:lol:

Other than that, a masterpiece in the making, and I'm thoroughly enjoying every bit of it! Keep it coming Nakia! :D :thumb:

10. Nakia

Media:
    Thanks, Uri. I like having you and Felinoid critique because Fel is a Morrowind expert and you haven't played Morrowind.

I'm trying to find a balance between Morrowind players and non-players.

:) I must admit I rather liked that tax collector touch.

oops, made a bad mistake. Sugar-Lips is a Khajiit not an Argonian. Editing it.

I have edited the part about the killer. Let me know if this helps.

[ October 24, 2007, 14:31: Message edited by: Nakia ]

11. Urithrand

Media:
    Argonians are just as hard to read so it wasn't noticable :p

Much better giving the murder a little mention, just something to get the imagination going but not too much that it went over the top :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.