1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

China v. Taiwan

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Erebus, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well...I think this may be world war 3 in one or two days when the referendum is released on whether Taiwan will be independant or not. I have no doubt that the USA will cast itself with Taiwan, but, more countries will enter the fray on both sides. And since this concerns quite a few of us here, I just want to know your thoughts.

2. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

If the USA backs Taiwan, there will be hell. Best for them to stay out of this one.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I do not think a war will be started over Taiwan, say what you will but it is a part of China. I also do not think that China is interested in gaining alot of bad reputation for taking it by force, if they were they would have done so already. The likeliest scenario in my mind is that Taiwan will slowly morph into a mainland Chinese territory but with a great deal of autonomy and their own economy, kinda like Hong Kong.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

There is one hell of alot of bad history between those two countries. Taiwan will probably join China though and act as Hong Kong does/did much like joacquin has said. China (IIRC) has one of the fastest growing economies in the world and we all know money = power. They both speak the same language anyway (don't they?).

5. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Taiwan has always belonged to China. And already they are acting like an autonomous (sp?) region like Hong Kong, except, in an agreement with Britain, when Hong Kong was given back, it was to remain an autonomous region for ninety nine years, in which the government can do what they wished at the end of the ninety nine years.

@Abomination, Taiwan speaks a dialect of Chinese thats a mixture of Hokkien, Hakka, and mandarin.

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

So your average Taiwaniese citizen could understand a Chinaman? By understand I mean "get the gist of where he's coming from".

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Depends where the Chinaman is from. :)

8. teekc Gems: 23/31

China is a vast area with several regional languages (think India). The only thing that was common and univeral was the written characters (words) which were unified after 221 BC. Did i said "was"? Taiwan (republic of china) continue to use the same traditional chinese character which stayed almost the same since that unification. China (people's republic of china) on the other hand uses a simplified version of it. This created some confusions all over the world among chinese cultural circles. If i remembere correctly, there are two American 'national' newspaper written in chinese. One in traditional (taiwan and hong kong); the other in simplified (china). Two kinds of characters; two kinds of views.

Other than the chinese characters, two regions purposely used different words for the same thing. The most infamous one is panda. Panda is called 'bear cat' in China but 'cat bear' in Taiwan. Chinese call the their capital 'bei jing' but Taiwanese still call that place 'bei ping'.

Back into the topic,
    i don't really think average Taiwaneses would acknowledge themselves as people of china anymore. Taiwan is not a colony rented to western imperialists like Hong Kong. Some old Taiwanese fled China to Taiwan after WW2 thinking they would take back China someday. After 2 generations, things changed. The cultural, social and economical differences between two regions is now too big to merge. As you can see, i prefer Taiwan to seperate from China and become its own authority.

Since America has already set an bad example in the UN, China is more justified to use force to take down the rebels in its territory. Furthermore, Taiwan is not even a member in the UN. i am not a good person, i admit that. As long as it is not my soil, i don't really mind outbreak of war. War = countries in war buy stuff from countries not in war = cash flow = wealth.

But anyway, even there are more Taiwaneses who don't acknowledge themselves as people of China, they are not stupid enough to invoke a war through referendum.

9. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

I think that it's not our (the US) place to get involved with this. If anything, by the precedent of our own country, we should back up China...

It reminds me in a way of our (Still the US) conquest of Hawaii in the late 1800s, with more justification behind China than was behind the US...

But whatever, we'll see what happens. It's bad for us to be anything but isolationist here.

10. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

The US has supported Taiwan since the Chinese Nationalist government relocated there during the Communist revolution. It's way to late to just turn our backs on them now, and I seriously doubt that the US government would even consider abandoning them.

I also doubt that China, in the near future, would be able to invade the island. They lack the naval strength to mount and sustain an invasion. That leaves only an nuclear attack, which would be counterproductive to reunification.

Eventhough China considers Taiwan a renegade provance, Taiwan has been it's own de-facto country since the 1940's.

11. teekc Gems: 23/31

i, too, don't think US would just stay out of this. From the amount of arms and military technologies that US sold to Taiwan... highly unlikely that US would just sit back.
    From the line formed by japan, south korea, taiwan and philippines that gives US much advantages over the other side of the pacific .... highly unlikely that US would just sit back.

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Jesus Bad Example Christ.

Last time I check the chart, it was North Korean terrorists that were causing havoc in China. Not Taiwanese terrorists. But since it doesn't matter since the US just invaded for Oil, I think China should just kill and starve those fookin' rebels.

THE SOUTH LIVES!!

Anyways, Liteon operates out of Taiwan. Dude, if I was China, I would definately be wanting to hold onto Liteon too. They make outstanding stuff. And that's pretty much what China's idea is, as well. In the end, I think China will cut them some slack.

13. teekc Gems: 23/31

By bad example i did not mean america invade iraq for oil nor wdms nor justice. They are too ambiguous to put in historical text. Look at the fact, did America won the agreement from the UN to send in troops into Iraq? That is the bad example i was talking about.

Liteon? That national defense technology company that sells dvd players?

14. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Well this just in, the Taiwanese president has been shot. But it was not condoned by the Chinese Government.

Also, Llandon, China has a LONG line of guns aimed straight at Taiwan, ready to open fire.

Also if the US does join in this thing, other nuclear capable countries may join the side of China to break the US hold on that part of the world.

15. teekc Gems: 23/31

president and vp got shot is not a new news. You still live within singapore? Because i heard the news sometime ago over internet radio, yes933.

But anyway,
    1 - Taiwan is a mess right now because the president won by mere 50000 votes. poeple get upset, stock market is filled with bear breath.
    2 - China might just declare emergency on Taiwan and legally (according their constitution) sent in their troops.

16. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Then China will be in a lot of problems.

17. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

@ejsmith - AND THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

18. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Why? Taiwan is still part of China.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.