1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Checklist for IWD

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by NYCPulpWriter, Sep 1, 2006.

1. NYCPulpWriter Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Anything else I need?
    Auril's Bane: Trials of the Luremaster
    DaleTweak-V.4
    HoW142eng
    HoWpatch 141
    IWD1-Ease

2. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Don't install both AB and EoU (you'll get plenty of bugs). Better stick just with AB. It contains most of EoU anyway.

3. NYCPulpWriter Gems: 1/31

Call me a weirdo but what's EoU?

4. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Easy of Use. You already mentioned it. Is the last on your list.

5. NYCPulpWriter Gems: 1/31

*slaps himself* Ah! ok then :D

6. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

And btw, you don't need to install the HoW patch if you have Trials of the Luremaster. Just go directly to Auril's Bane for the core files and the fixes. But under no condition install the the No-End Patch. Is bugged and is going to crash your computer (is useless anyway).

7. NYCPulpWriter Gems: 1/31

Thanks everyone!

8. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

G3 also has a tweak pack for IWD1, which you may want to check out. It is compatible with the other mods you list, should be installed after them for best results (although order is not crucial), and can be found here: http://www.gibberlings3.net/daletweak/index.php

9. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

That tweak was not made for IWD. Yes it works in IWD but most of those option where designed for BG2.

10. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Might also want to grab Dan Simpson's walk-thru. IWD was very guilty of some lousy level design that was purposely intended to extend the hours you played the game by just walking (lots of winding corridors and twists and turns). You might want to use the walk-thru to jump to certain coords as well as to CLUA in the random item drops you want.

11. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I disagree about "IWD being very guilty of lousy level design", especially about the "purposely intended to extend the hours you played the game by just walking" part.
    Compared to similar games (like BG, ever tried to find a location in BG city without help from external maps or walkthroughs ?) IWD is a honest, straightforward game.

And ironically this was a hinderance for its success. An example:
    TotSC (BG expansion) is very short, but got very high ratings because they added many unfair battles in order to increase the game length artifically with save and reload orgies.
    HoW offers far more than TotSC, but it got bad ratings because of "being too short" since they didn't slow the game progress artificially like in TotSC but kept the game at roleplaying difficulty.

I don't recommend using a walkthrough and the clua console for enforcing to get the random items you want. Cheating is not neccessary, with a proper party you'll be strong enough to beat the game no matter what random items you find.

I don't recommend using a walkthrough at all, you can get help in this forum if you get stuck anywhere.
    Having to leave dungeons like you've entered them isn't as bad as Killjoy stated, it will take a few seconds but doesn't really increase the total gaming time considerably.
    Even when replay with enabled cheat console I walk the whole way back manually.

Dan Simpson's walkthrough is great, but I wouldn't use it on the first runthrough.
    I'd try to get through the game at normal difficulty without spoilers and as few reloads as possible (I'd reload when a character dies however, count your number of reloads).
    It's the most enjoyable way. The game isn't as unfair as some other games using this engine.

12. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It doesn't sound like you understood what I was talking about. In several points in the game, the path from point A to point B is a winding, twisting road that takes noticeably longer to walk across than just a straight line. This was clearly intended to make the game artificially take longer as you watch your little party walk around and around and around.

Also, if you want to sit there and reload your last saved games until you get the random items you want, hey, have fun with that. Also, if you like reloading and re-rolling, make sure your game isn't set to max HP per level, and also, try to roll natural 18(00) STR for your tanks. That should keep you busy for a while.

If you actually value your playtime, and your time in general, you'd be well advised to grab a good walkthrough, especially Simpson's, so that you can quickly get to where you want to go and get the random drops you want. It isn't "cheating" in the least, since you get the exact same outcome as if you had patiently watched your little party walk around and around and around instead of using CTR+J, or if you had sat there saving and reloading repeatedly until you got the elven chain mail. It just takes/wastes less time.

13. Windrunner Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Or you could *gasp* accept the random drops and the non superman fighter stats! I have one of my fighters at 18/65, oh the horror! ;)

14. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

I can beat that. One of my fighters had 18/51 STR. ;)

And gee, why did they made those random drops... Could it be.. *gasp*! That you would want to play the game again???

15. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

My bard even had to play the game without armor because I didn't get a random elvin chain.
    She experienced horrible deaths ... of other party members. Usually she was the last one getting into trouble. ;)

16. Windrunner Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Heh, do you make yours sing all the time? I find now that my bard has less than 5% of the kills (in a 5-person party) because I keep having her sing the luck song after she casts her spells. Too bad since she has a wicked crossbow too (the 2 attacks/round +4/+4 one).

17. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Exactly. Since my bard she's received the level 11 song, she interrupts singing only for casting spells.
    Even after getting the 3 attacks/round crossbow in chapter6 she keeps on singing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.