1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cheap & easy Kangaxx strategy

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Muffildy, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Muffildy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just incase anyone wanted to know, a solo mage could take on him with no gear at all...
    Once you have defeated the lich form, cast immunity to abjuration and position your character right next to him so that you take the imprisonments.
    then cast elemental spawns like lesser fire elemental. He will sometimes use an area effect and kill them, but 2 or 3 should be sufficient to kill him in short order. Hasting them helps.

2. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Solo cavalier + carsomry + protection from magic = dead Kangaxx.

As simple as that :D

And after he's dead, make sure to make the most of the PfM and go visit the rest of the liches in Athkatla and make mince meat, er... bones of them.

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Personally, I like my bounty hunter strategy. Place half your traps on the spot he appears on, and half on the top corner (opposite side of the wall from where you come in on. Now trigger him and run to the bottom corner with the Ring of the Ram. The first traps kill the original. Then hit him with Ring of the Ram and he's tossed into the far corner, where you have the rest of your traps, which then kill the demi-lich. He never even gets to do anything other than rant. It's beautiful.

4. Muffildy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

cheese

I just thought it was an easy strategy for someone who doesnt want to cheese it with traps or unique scrolls...and also doesnt want to adventure for any +5 or whatever weaponry.
    just a simple strategy a solo mage could accomplish needing only the listed spells which are purchasable cheaply.

5. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Cheese with traps!?! What else is a Bounty Hunter to do?

6. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Berserker + Mace of Disruption. End of story.

7. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

protection from undead also works wonders

8. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Yes. Or Protection from Magic.

9. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I think I once heard of someone with a really high level cleric turning him and basically blowing him away in one round.

For those without super high level clerics in their party you could cheat and use a hot key to add him to your party.

Then have him do something really harmful to himself (drink several potions that make the drinking NPC intoxicated or read a cursed scroll that feebleminds an unlucky reader and so on). Then kick him out of your party and start hitting him so make him hostile before he talks to the protagonist and wanders off.

This is cheesy and cheating but it works.

For not cheating I haven't seen how well control undead spells work on him but the previously mentioned defensive spells should probably buy you enough time to test them and whatever else.

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  11. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Thanks Montresor.

I think that is what I was referring to.

And the guy doing it was definitely happy with the results.

I never realized the Shadow Dragon has so few hit points.... course maybe that is because it does so much damage that I'm paying more attention to my own (I often decide to attack it instead of coming back when I'm higher level when I do the Umar Hills).

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I thought that by the time you get to Kangaxx the only other litch left in Athkatla was the one in the Crooked Crane Inn. You need to face all the others to get to Kangaxx.

Actually, I thought that Kangaxx and the Shadow Dragon were the only two "bosses" that you could justify using the traps on. With Kangaxx, you can set the traps before restoring him. It's not like he's truely aware of you doing so or can do anything to stop you.

With the shadow dragon, the ward stone makes it unaware of your presance, so you are free to set the traps. Facing such a masive beast, you'd be foolish not to take advantage of that fact.

Given the advantage of the ward stone, I was surprised the Firkragg was made to be stronger than the shadow dragon. The ward stone was the perfect opportunity for setting traps. Then again, I suppose the presance of so many protection from fire potions in the game to neutralize Firkragg's breath weapon helps even things out somewhat.

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I would assume that Firkraag was the toughest of the Dragons is because he is a Red. The top of the food chain so to say in Dragonland. I don't think the designers ever noted the Age Category of the Dragons anywhere in the game, but assuming the difference is toughness of hte battles, I would assume Firkraag is of an older age category as well.

14. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Demi Liches have that instant kill ability (Actually it's imprisonment, but if it hits your PC, game over). In second edition rules that "Bang - your dead, no saving throw" innate ability counts for a LOT of XP.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.