1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Charles and Camilla to marry.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dranalis DeAealth, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    What is "a service of prayer and dedication"? Does it mean the Anglican church will pray for the happiness of the union without granting a normal church wedding?

Hmm... and I thought she was already married when they first met. Other than that, I don't know why he would choose Diana over her if he actually loved Camilla. Wait, no, someone quoted on the right says he wasn't allowed to marry her. It seems they didn't allow him to marry Camilla but did to marry Diana. Strange. I'd rather they had allowed him to choose his wife from the beginning, especially given there was still a problem with Diana not being a royal. Even though she was a major noble (an earl family, even if not among the oldest or most celebrated earl families) while Camilla wasn't, the different is not much if we're talking royals on the other side. So it seems they changed their mind on things and didn't simply judge Diana more worthy than Camilla.

[ February 12, 2005, 01:01: Message edited by: chevalier ]

3. Dranalis DeAealth

Essentially, yes.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ah well, the past is the past, and they're all moving on. It's all fine with me. I see that she will now be HRH The Duchess of Cornwall. Where do they come up with these titles?

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It goes like Wales (principality), York (dukedom), Gloucester (dukedom), Kent (dukedom) for the current king's offspring in this order, but it's lifetime, so it needs to be "freed" to be re-assigned (that's why prince Edward got Earldom of Wessex instead of becoming the Duke of Gloucester, which is still occupied). The Duchy of Cornwall is tied to the Principality of Wales and it's supposed to be the tree on which the Prince of Wales's money grows.

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    :nuts: Why ever was the Anglican church founded?
    Talk about misguided Christians :nuts:

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Charles and Camilla? Seriously, are you guys even remotely interested? :toofar:

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I don't know what the fuss is all about - let them marry and be happy. They have as much right as everyone else.

9. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Or how about we do away with the money hogging Royal Family? seriously, so much money would be saved in the U.K if we did.

10. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Noooo! Think of all the tourist money we'd lose from the Americans - our USP over, say, France, is that we haven't beheaded our royals (yet).

Well, that and we're not "cheese-eating surrender monkeys", at least according to The Simpsons* :p

*I think that's where it was derived from ... correct me if I'm wrong!

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I would dispute this claim. What about Mary I of Scotland? I believe that Henry VIII also had at least one of her wives beheaded. I hope I did not scare away any potential American tourists with this though. :shake:

EDIT: Ah, I see I misunderstood your post then. You meant beheading as in beheading all of the royals (or atleast enough of them so none of them dares to proclaim him/herself as the king/queen.

[ February 16, 2005, 23:24: Message edited by: Morgoroth ]

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Actually the Royal Family generates a lot of money for the economy aside from tourism. They money for their upkeep goes to the Royal Treasuary, which generates millions in interest - so you would be loosing much by loosing the Royal Family.

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

@Morgoroth:
    I didn't really mean that people would be scared off by the thought of us having beheaded them - hell, it's the gory bits of history that are the most interesting (which was better to learn at school: WWII or the agricultural revolution? Exactly.) - just that we have some live monarchy left, not just waxworks and deserted castles.

As for Henry VIII, the Tudors were particularly bloodthirsty (Mary & Elizabeth stand out, burning Protestant & Catholic respectively as though they'd never heard of firewood), and he did away with a couple of his wives when he had trouble sorting divorces through the Church. The whole Charles & Camilla thing seems rather tame in comparison.

14. Dranalis DeAealth

The idea that the Royal Family personally have some bearing on the tourism of the country has always seemed to me to be one enormous load of crock - interestingly, no-one can ever produce a shread of evidence to support this.

It is also an extraordinarily bad argument in favour of keepng any political institution. There are far better arguments in favour of the retention of the monarchy than it.

@Cesard - I'm curious about this. I'm not disputing or anythng, but I've never actually heard of this process before. What are the details?

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You do realize that many of the most visited sites in the UK like The Tower and treasury (and a score of castles) are personal properties of the monarchy?

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Dranalis, Taluntain is right. You only have to wander around London for a day to see that the crowds of tourists are all outside Buckingham Palace and the Horse Guards. Then throw in all the people at the Tower of London, Windsor Castle, and Hampton Court Palace.

17. Dranalis DeAealth

And you are suggesting these people would not come if Britain did not have a Royal Family? Are you suggesting that these buildings, whoever owned them under a hypothetical republic, would be suddenly cut off from the public view?

Nonsense. People come to London because it's a vibrant, world-class, cultural city of epic spelndour. They visit London's - and Britain's - historic buildings for the reason that they are inherently a part of all that, Monarchy or no. Paris and Versailles are often cited here.

Frankly, I'm a bit insulted by notion that tourists only visit because they know that Buckingham Palace is the Queen's residence, or whatever. That both horribly demeans the intelligence of tourists, and it demeans London.

As I said, this argument is crock. I support the Monarchy, but this argument has always seemed to me to be the purest form of nonsense in favour of it.

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    People would still come, but if the most attractive tourist traps were suddenly cut off from public view, London as a whole would certainly be less attractive. When people come to London for the first time, they see the most famous sites. Everything else comes during the second or third visit (if ever, most tourists don't come to the same place that often). And monarchy simply adds a touch of style you can't reproduce via any other means.

As for getting insulted over a debate as benign as this, oh boy, does AoDA have surprises in store for you... I wouldn't call an average tourist's intelligence above average. Beats the whole point of the meaning of the word "average". When I was in London first, I didn't even have time to see all the most famous sites (and some stuff outside of London), let alone everything else. Does this make me dumb or unaware of everything else there is in London? I don't think so.

19. Harbourboy

So I am demeaning my own intelligence? Buckingham Palace was one of the places that I visited within 1 hour of leaving the airport on my first day in London, followed by the Horse Guards, followed by Tower of London, followed by Westminster Abbey and Houses of Parliament. We also went on a tour that pointed out where Prince Charles lived.

For many us from other countries, a living, breathing monarchy is an enormous novelty and therefore something we would pay money to catch a glimpse of.

20. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    When I visited London I took the 'Royal Tour' and loved it. I am of above average intelligence (just can't spell) . I then did a B&B off the normal tourist path. It was all great fun.

I feel sorry for the Royal Family. Especially those who will never be the Ruler. They have to conform to some Royal Standard. No wonder some of them do dumb things.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.